2.2/2200 cavalier owners - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2/2200 cavalier owners
Tuesday, January 17, 2006 6:07 PM
what kind of performance mods have you guys put on your cavalier?
And what kind of gains did you get?

Re: 2.2/2200 cavalier owners
Tuesday, January 17, 2006 6:10 PM
lol nothing really theres not alot out there for the 2.2L's ive looked. the only thing i have one my car is the AEM cold air intake and a magnaflow muffler. There has been little hp gain made by the upgrade but the throttle reponse is much better.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 6:14 PM
intake, header, hi flow cat, catback exhaust...got a nice little gain, but its still show as crap. i do however, get very good gas milage

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 6:17 PM
Well that is kinda depressing i wanted to keep my car N/A but it looks like im gonna have to go with boost

Thanks for the info guys
Tuesday, January 17, 2006 6:43 PM
Yea, boost is some high dollars, but it's the only way you'll get any real noticable power gains out of a 2200. cause i got an intake, cat-back exhaust, a Jet chip, throttle body spacer and some other minor stuff and the only outcome was way better throttle response.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 6:45 PM
Ryan Wieland wrote:Yea, boost is some high dollars, but it's the only way you'll get any real noticable power gains out of a 2200. cause i got an intake, cat-back exhaust, a Jet chip, throttle body spacer and some other minor stuff and the only outcome was way better throttle response.

i got news for ya, that jet chip and throttle body spacer are useless. read the faq

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 7:01 PM
NITROUS

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2090440

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 7:12 PM
Boost is the way to get real power out of these motors.

You can get some decent gains going NA, but it takes allot of research, trial and error to get them to be fairly quick. Use the search button for some really good ideas, there's plenty to read. You just might find there's allot of potential in these motors, if you do the research and make a plan and ask questions, if you don't understand something. Think of the car as a whole system and build it accordingly, it takes the sum of the parts and machine work to make any power with the car. Don't think just because you put the biggest (fill in the blank) on you car, that it will make you fast. Odds are something like that will just make it slower.

These motors wern't designed to be high reving(OHV, 2 valves/cyl,long stroke w/short rods, etc...), so plan you parts selection accordingly. Remember, GM put a 6000rpm limiter on them for a reason.

Check out the people's profiles who do most of the posting on the 2.2L/2200s. You'll learn who knows the most and who's full of it!

Oh, BTW, my one time slip sucks, it actually got slower. At the time I had a stock torque converter and gears and my tranny wasn't shifting and I was bouncing off the rev limiter. I've also done some minor tuning work with more work to get it done.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 8:16 PM
I'm with him ^^ look to see who posts the most about these motors and check into what they are talking about. (MadJack happens to be one that i follow )

some people say that a good amount of power can come from a P&P on these heads, since they don't flow worth crap.

boost or nitrous is probably the best (cost wise) to get the most out of these little OHV motors ...thats one reason why I am boosting mine

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 6:19 AM
I agree that boost is the best bet. I'm looking for ways to up the performance on my LN2 as well and if I go any further than basic bolt ons, I'm goin' boost. For the money, it will eventually cost way more to get a NA build that makes 200+ HP than it would to do the same thing with boost. A turbo setup will lalso be more streetable, and more user friendly. If you want to cut boost to keep some sort of fuel economy you can, not to mention reliability, where with a NA build you're pretty much stuck with what you have. As far as cost, a turbo can really cost as much as you want it to. And when it comes to parts for a turbo kit the options are endless. You can spend the money and buy a kit, or you can print off the parts list in the boost forum and build your own. I've heard of guys building their turbo kit for a little over $1K by doing it themselves. Either way you go, don't skimp on the fuel. With the older LN2 (pre 98), you're almost going to have to do an injector conversion, but search the forums and there's a few that have done it using 2200 fuel rail, and it seems to be a good way to go. A few are even willing to build the kit for you if that's not your niche.

Opfer benotigt. Keine Erfahrung notwendig.

Victims needed. No experience necessary.
Wednesday, January 18, 2006 8:18 AM
Quote:

i got news for ya, that jet chip and throttle body spacer are useless. read the faq

yea, i know that, they came off of my buddies cavy that he wrecked, so i figured why not since they were free

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 8:47 AM
Volumeking333 wrote:I'm with him ^^ look to see who posts the most about these motors and check into what they are talking about. (MadJack happens to be one that i follow )

some people say that a good amount of power can come from a P&P on these heads, since they don't flow worth crap.

boost or nitrous is probably the best (cost wise) to get the most out of these little OHV motors ...thats one reason why I am boosting mine
Im gonna have to agree with all that was said here.... Although you are gonna miss some very knowledgable people on these engines due to some of us just dont post as much as we used too.....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search