3.1 motor swap in a 01 cavi???? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3.1 motor swap in a 01 cavi????
Tuesday, January 17, 2006 6:45 AM
i have herd of people doin the 3.1 swap in newer cavis i recently ran across at 3.1 outta a berretta i just want to no what im in for if i buy the motor what am i goin to have to do to make it fit and any other problems i might encounter... need help

Re: 3.1 motor swap in a 01 cavi????
Tuesday, January 17, 2006 7:03 AM
Well first you have to understand that you would have to convert back to OBDI from your current OBDII computer. Also, if you're going to through the hassle of putting a V6 Motor in your 3rd gen, put a bigger motor than that...like a 3800. It'll be worth the hard work.

Since you didn't say what year Berretta it's from, I'm gonna assume it's from the last year of them...they made 155 HP and 185 lbs of torque...so technically, you'd be only gaining 5 HP and 30 lbs of torque and that's saying if the motor was in tip top shape. You're talking about swapping a motor that is probably about 15 years old, I highly doubt it's running those numbers anymore.

This is just something for you to think about before you actually buy one.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 12:08 PM
thanks for the advice.. see i can do suspension, body,and interior work but when it come to motor i dont no sh*t.. you said a 3.8 were can i get one of those? and about how much money is this all gonna cost me if i do the work.. and if i think its to much for me and my buddies does anyone no were i could get it done is it something my local shop could do or is it a big project id need to send somewere that specializes in stuff like that?
Tuesday, January 17, 2006 3:44 PM
don levergood wrote:thanks for the advice.. see i can do suspension, body,and interior work but when it come to motor i dont no sh*t.. you said a 3.8 were can i get one of those? and about how much money is this all gonna cost me if i do the work.. and if i think its to much for me and my buddies does anyone no were i could get it done is it something my local shop could do or is it a big project id need to send somewere that specializes in stuff like that?

As long as your local shop has experience with swapping motors, I don't see where it would need something special. You would need specially made mounts for the motor and transmission.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 3:50 PM
he's very right, but get a supercharged 3800 to make it worth it
Tuesday, January 17, 2006 4:56 PM
the 95-96 3100 were OBDII

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 7:12 PM
Mfk-223 wrote:the 95-96 3100 were OBDII

Sorry you're correct...I was thinking 94 for some reason. My friend was the one who supplied me with the HP/TQ #s on the last year Berretta but didn't tell me when the actual last year was lol.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 10:46 AM
Okay I know this thread has been "dead" for a while...but then I was down at the junk yard...again...this past weekend and there is a PRISTINE 3.1 out of a Euro Lumina...intact, looks like it came off the showroom floor...but the car took a SERIOUS sideswipe and was totalled. The engine compartment is about the only thing intact on the car.

I've seen several web sites that show how to swap the 3.1 into your Cavalier or Sunfire...I have the Sunfire.

I've spoken with someone that did the swap who said that the 3.1 "bolts up" to the tranny in my Sunfire with no mods.

I'm sure you have to import the wiring harness and all. What's the chances it's that easy...and would it be worth doing in my Sunfire instead of all that 2.3/2.4 swapping parts stuff? I want a "mid range" performance upgrade on my sunfire...not looking to break into the 13's or anything...low 15's or high 14's is fine with me. I also SCCA race and usually finish in the top 3 of my class in the ONLY sunfire out there and the ONLY NA vehicle in the group.

Since you guys are all-knowing and i'm the noob...what do you think?

Thanks for any input. G

If i wanted a civic i'd have had japanese parents! now figure out how to make this fit!!
Thursday, November 16, 2006 4:16 PM
Adam, stop.

with correct 3400 heads, a nice cam and pistions, that 660 will take a 3800 SC,

Do some reading about thies little power houses, thay can scream.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Thursday, November 16, 2006 4:30 PM
Who are you talking to? NJHK sold his car a while ago. This is an old thread.

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Thursday, November 16, 2006 4:39 PM
no, just correcting someone.

and yes i was talking to him.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search