Rocker Arms Crane V Comp - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rocker Arms Crane V Comp
Sunday, January 15, 2006 4:35 PM
I've been trying to resurrect my LN2 since the pushrod (Manley) snapped in half and all hell broke loose on my engine. My question is last thing I bought for the car was a set of polylocks from comp cam and now my valve cover does not close. Has anyone else experienced this problem on a 95-97 OHV. I am using ARP studs, 3/8" 7.650 length pushrods (correct geometry) for the car. Is it possible the comp cams rockers are wider and taller than crane cams which does not allow proper closing of the valve cover. Anyone have any input on this? Also what are possible reasons the pushrod snapped? Did anyone post up pics on the LA Auto Show anywhere on the forums if not I will post a couple.

thanks in advance

Sal

Re: Rocker Arms Crane V Comp
Monday, January 16, 2006 9:42 AM
I just did an install of the comp cams on a '97 LN2 this weekend. I dind't have any clearance issues. Your studs may be too long. The studs I used were from a 2.8 V-6, just as the how-to I found on this site recommended, no issues. The poly locks shouldn't have caused a clearance problem. Also, as far as the pushrod snapping, I'd be hard pressed to even guess without seeing the engine.

Opfer benotigt. Keine Erfahrung notwendig.

Victims needed. No experience necessary.
Monday, January 16, 2006 10:57 AM
When you use crane cam roller rockers you have to grind out the underside of the valve cover slightly where as the comp cams ones you dont have to..hope this helps..Or if you got the money go to howelland buy the moroso valve cover..phil
Monday, January 16, 2006 1:12 PM
I was thinking about going with the moroso valve cover from howell but then there would be a clearnace issue with the throttle body. I would then have to raise the throttle body about an inch maybe two since i don't know anybody that has actually used it from the org. The only person I saw use it was Joe Almeida but he had a custom intake setup from hogan's manifold. That manifold is too step for me at this point. Any ideas from anyone.
Monday, January 16, 2006 2:13 PM
Why not just have a spacer machined for both the valve cover and the upper IM? Both are simple to make.

Monday, January 16, 2006 3:17 PM
Do you have the rockers for a '87+ SBC(center bolt heads)? They are the narrow bodied rockers, designed for those heads. If not then the rocker body is going to be too wide.

When installing the rockers, I did find that I had a clearnce problem with the rocker arms and the valve cover breather baffles. Due to the angle of the rockers, they would rub against the side of the breather baffles. This was at the push rod end of the rockers. If this is the case with yours, it may have put enough side pressure on the rocker to bend / break the push rod, especially with the guide plates. The problem was on the #s 1 & 3 exhaust rockers, where the baffles are located. I fixed that by grinding away a small amount from the edge of the baffle, the side and corner of the baffle next to the push rod seat of the rocker arm. I had to just barely hold the front edge of the VC open and,using a flashlight, peek in to make sure I had the proper clearance, while someone turnd the motor over by hand.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search