sugestions on what to do. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
sugestions on what to do.
Sunday, January 15, 2006 12:20 PM
I am planing on eather getting a new zero mile 2200 engine or i will get a 2.2L ecotec engine. The question i have is would it be better to just by the block and put what i want in the engine or just to by a creat engine? im not worried obout the cost its it seams easier for me to buy what i want on the engine right away instead of buying the creat engine and then buying the upgrades for it and having stock engine parts around the garage. What should i do?

Re: sugestions on what to do.
Sunday, January 15, 2006 12:29 PM
If I were you I'd take the 2.2L Ecotec over the 2200 simply because, in my opinion, the 2200 falls short of the Eco in performance and upgradability. As for what to do, it depends on how much work you want to do, how much money you want to spend, and how much time you want to invest. Do you have someone doing the work? How much will it cost to have them build up the stock motor for you then install it?

Blown.
Sunday, January 15, 2006 12:48 PM
Kyle, my advice to you is to not try and build a motor unless you know what your plans are. Biggest thing is compression...do you know what compression you want? Why do you want that compression? Are you staying N/A or going forced induction? You never just want to replace parts for no reason or just because they are "stronger". You want to have a goal set in mind and a reason behind it.

I say to you, if you're trying to build an high compression all motor, build it up while it's outside the motor. If you're heading the boost route, my suggestion is run boost first, get used to it and then have enough money for the engine work. The reason I say this is because I'd hate to see someone spend thousands of dollars on engine work and not have enough money for boost...they will be left with a built motor that is still slow because it is boost ready. Also, this is good so you are used to lower PSI numbers then you can bump it up....kind of like crawling before you walk.

Anymore questions, just ask.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, January 15, 2006 12:50 PM
Adam has an ecotec and a small penis....2.4 all the way is what i say

2007 GM Tuner Bash...HELL YEA
PA,MD,NJ,DE,NY and all states north caravan
Sunday, January 15, 2006 12:56 PM
Boardorgohome(loves NC again) wrote:Adam has an ecotec and a small penis....2.4 all the way is what i say

This is coming from someone who WANTED an ecotec?

Sunday, January 15, 2006 1:01 PM
yes, im looking for an 02-05 white ls sport....so what....my 2.4 still pwnz u

Sunday, January 15, 2006 1:10 PM
Boardorgohome(loves NC again) wrote:yes, im looking for an 02-05 white ls sport....so what....my 2.4 still pwnz u

You need a life...

I hope your 2.4 makes your e-penis bigger lol

Sunday, January 15, 2006 1:12 PM
oh i gained like 2 inches with my HO mani and 59mm TB....that brings my total to 10 inches...we should stop thread jacking though...check your pms

Sunday, January 15, 2006 1:36 PM
ok sorry guys i for got to mention all the other stuff... i am doing the stuff myself along with the help of my dad who is a macanic. I want to get a 12's car! Boosted route, i have experience with boost my bro has a boosted 99 camaro im use to driving it i love the feeling. Ok the question is witch one would be better for the 12's part, I want a challenge! and if the ecotec gets me there esier then im going with the 2200 just because ya. Right now i have so much freaken money idk what the hell to do with it and im still saving... total around 30 grand. Sence im still in highschool rents wont let me do it no i have to be out of school! So money is not an option, i have a garage built onto my house with a hoist and all sence we are working on chevelles right now... in 2 or 3 years they will be open for my use. But i will be building the engine WAY before i put it in the car. And i am getting anew 5speed. I know it easier to get a 12's ecotec mostly because its dohv... and theres alot more parts. compression idk right now on what i want but still im am starting to order parts soon and starting to build the engine. so give me some opinions on compression guys. if theres any more questions on what i am doing give me a shout on here or at dark_new_day9@hotmail.com you can add me to msn also !

Sunday, January 15, 2006 2:03 PM
the ecotec is a DOHC**...prolly your best route for boost since they are doing well for alot of other people...and you're not gonna find a low mile 2.4 unless its a crate.

and as far as the LN2 sorry guys but i wouldnt build one if you paid me

Sunday, January 15, 2006 2:07 PM
Well for reference the Ecotec is a DOHC motor and I'd still suggest using the Ecotec. The 2200 is the weakest motor of the entire J lineup and it will be somewhat difficult to reach the 12's. It has been done but I'd still take the Eco because of ugradability, performance, maintenance (fairly new motor), etc. Its an all around better/stronger engine than the 2200.

I'm still a bit confused, you say you have alot of money at your disposal but you also said that money is not an option. Does this mean that you don't have much money to work with? If this is the case then I'd suggest just boosting an Eco motor without internal work. The Ecotec has shown to be able to handle alot of power with only minimal work.

If you do have all that money to waste and really want a challenge, go ahead with the 2200 build and boost, but I think you'd be happier with the Eco. The Eco will get you to the 12's and, with the kind of bankroll you have, even further than that!

The Ecotec has a 10:1 compression ratio and, if lowered to 9:1, will be able to get you alot more power (obviously) since you'll be able to crank up the boost. Lowering your compression and increasing the boost is your best bet for power and you'll definitely reach the 12's with the Eco. If I were you I'd stay around 9:1, possibly 8:1, because, in my eyes, anything lower may require switching to a turbo that will be able to handle the power (increasing boost), new manifold that will accomodate the turbo, and the list goes on.

Set a goal for yourself number-wise. If you want to reach the 12's then you'll be able to get there on a mostly stock Eco motor running a proper turbo setup. Look up the Org member "Hypsy," he's done alot with his Hahn Racecraft turbo setup. What whp/wtq numbers are you shooting for? And, again, I'm still confused, how much money are you willing to spend?

Blown.

Sunday, January 15, 2006 2:50 PM
ok... Filip you ask how much money i want to spend ... when ever it takes to get a cavy to my goal. Just so you know you can get basicly anything you want for a 2200 engine just looking in the wrong spots. And im sorry to say but i am eather extremely missing something here but the only real difference in the engines at stock is the already fordged internals! there are some others yes but how can those little things change the out come that much? pluse i can put every thing in a 2200 as a stock ecotec for the same sprice and or less then the ecotec engine crate! so if im missing somethign here please speak up. the whp would much liked at like 250+ but again look in the stats for the 2200 best time ... whats the fastest one in there ive been told 13's so were have you herd that the 12's has been done. plus if its that easy to get an ecotec to do 12's honestly whats the fun in doing it then theres no challenge! Please again inform me on other stuff that i must be missing here.

Sunday, January 15, 2006 3:02 PM
All I said was that I think you'd be happier with the Ecotec, not that you absolutely will. I never said that you will hate the LN2 and, like Boardorgohome said, I wouldn't take a built 2200 if you paid me. The Ecotec is a strong, upgradable engine that has developed a good amount of aftermarket support. Furthermore, an almost stock Eco can reach the 12's. I told you to do a search on the member "Hypsy" and you can add Adam and Bill Hahn of Hahn Racecraft to that list. Furthermore, check out the Boosted J-Body List in the boost forum, look how many boosted 2.4 and Eco motors are on that list. You're new here so you haven't experienced the comotion when many of the members here began hitting low times with near-stock Eco's.

If you look in the performance forum you'll see an Ecotec swap thread by PJ (aka TheFlyingSqwrl). He had the same dream as you but it wound up going to @#$! because the 2200 isn't at the same level as the Ecotec. Again, you're new here and you probably didn't follow the entire story from building the 2200 to the Eco swap. If you search the forums you'll see how the Eco compares to the 2200. I've only heard of a few members that are content with the performance of their 2200's.

On top of all that, I never said modding an Eco to run 12's would be easy or easier. In my eyes the Ecotec is the better of the two motors to reach 12's safely while saving some money and reaching better numbers.

I hope all that made sense. If you have any more questions you can reach me on AIM or email if you don't want to waste posts.

Blown.
Sunday, January 15, 2006 3:09 PM
ok tahnx sorry for me being a dumb a%^ ill look into it more thanx for all the info.

Sunday, January 15, 2006 3:14 PM
Quote:

And im sorry to say but i am eather extremely missing something here but the only real difference in the engines at stock is the already fordged internals!

Incorrect.

The 2.2 ECOTECs do not have forged internals...you might be thinking of the 2.0 ECOTECs that come with 9:1 compression forged pistons. They can handle a bit more of a beating than the 2.2s cause of stronger parts but they still have a limit.

FYI: The 2.0s are on the Cobalt SS Supercharged & Ion Redlines.

Sunday, January 15, 2006 3:20 PM
Kyle Rupprecht wrote:ok tahnx sorry for me being a dumb a%^ ill look into it more thanx for all the info.

Nah dude, you weren't being a dumb a%^, I'm glad I could help. Like we're always taught in elementary school, the only dumb question is one that is not asked. Anyway, if you ever have any questions about anything, you can hit me up on AIM, email, or PM.

Blown.
Sunday, January 15, 2006 3:57 PM
ok

Sunday, January 15, 2006 7:09 PM
Kyle Rupprecht wrote:ok tahnx sorry for me being a dumb a%^ ill look into it more thanx for all the info.

Asking questions when you don't know something is never stupid. Not asking questions and assuming when you don't know, can make you look stupid though.

Monday, January 16, 2006 3:36 PM
i could have sware i saw something on what i all need to do a ecotec engine swap with the 2200 engine but i cant find it any more so can some one please point me in the directions or help me out just by simply telling me what i all need to do, Or should i just simply go to the junk yard and get all the tranny, and engine togeather and use parts off it and scrap the rest? O and to inform every one else what im doing now is i am getting the ecotec, i and going to be building it up from scratch ... meaning im not just buying a crate engine and adding to it! im going to be buying the block, the cams (i know about the forced induction problem that acoures with the stage two so im getting the forced induction ones) im getting a racing head, and all the forged internals (crank, pistons, h-beam connecting rods) the heads are from jbodyperformance.com and they are the racing heads witch are polished and ported, new valves, and with the wrong cams (witch is why im getting the new ones) and ya ill get a parts list going and as for the turbo !!! im not going to be putting it on right away! im going to wait a little bit ill get the turbo i want in the long run and just run low boost and get use to it!! and as i get use to it and understand it all fully i will be slowly increasing the boost and all the good stuff. IF you could help me out with the engine parts like the harness's, or anything it would be great or just to say go fetch at the junk yard would be great. Thanx for every thing later.

Monday, January 16, 2006 3:56 PM
Did I just read right that you're willing to spend 30 large??? To run 12's?? Brother, I can get you into a mid 12 second Mitsubishi for WAY less than that. If that's not your style, a buddy of mine is selling his 72 Plymouth Roadrunner drag car for 19K, and it runs low to mid 9's and it's street legal.

Opfer benotigt. Keine Erfahrung notwendig.

Victims needed. No experience necessary.
Monday, January 16, 2006 5:02 PM
ok... i know its not even going to be close to that to make it with in 15 grand!! I am meaning I HAVE!!!! HAVE being the key word to spen on the engine tranny, suspention, brakes, body, paint, etc you get the drift? and i forgot to add i am going to make at +11 second ecotec!! NO EFENCE but whats the deal with the roadrunner, and mitsubishi? Depending on the mits it can have a 6 cylinder! and posibly awd!! and the runner... if im not mistaken those have v8s in them! And yes it easy make those times with a v8 and an awb v6. the ecotec is a inline 4, 2.2L if your not fallowing this all ask another question it was my bad for not saying the new time but if you kept reading you would have gotten the picture of what im doing!

Monday, January 16, 2006 5:14 PM
and for were the forum was about how to swap the engines i found the site it was in the newbies area. so nvm about that!

Monday, January 16, 2006 5:34 PM
I'm not trying to dog you, man. That wasn't my intention. But I read that far into it and had to ask. Plus I'm at work so I skim throug stuff to find the important parts. I have a Cavalier, too, that's why I'm on this site. But as far as the Mitsu, I'm also a member of Club VR4 and I own a '91 DSM, AWD and turbo, currently trying to acquire a Galant VR4 from another club member. If I offended you I apologize, it just seems odd when a guy is willing to dump that kind of cash into a Cavalier when there are better platforms. I'm all for it, I'd love to do the same with my J, but I don't have the resources. But I'm more than willing to give you any advice or help I can. Just ask and if I know the answer, I'll give it.

Opfer benotigt. Keine Erfahrung notwendig.

Victims needed. No experience necessary.
Monday, January 16, 2006 6:11 PM
LD9 > Eco .... all day long

Monday, January 16, 2006 9:48 PM
Kyle Rupprecht wrote:i could have sware i saw something on what i all need to do a ecotec engine swap with the 2200 engine but i cant find it any more so can some one please point me in the directions or help me out just by simply telling me what i all need to do, Or should i just simply go to the junk yard and get all the tranny, and engine togeather and use parts off it and scrap the rest? O and to inform every one else what im doing now is i am getting the ecotec, i and going to be building it up from scratch ... meaning im not just buying a crate engine and adding to it! im going to be buying the block, the cams (i know about the forced induction problem that acoures with the stage two so im getting the forced induction ones) im getting a racing head, and all the forged internals (crank, pistons, h-beam connecting rods) the heads are from jbodyperformance.com and they are the racing heads witch are polished and ported, new valves, and with the wrong cams (witch is why im getting the new ones) and ya ill get a parts list going and as for the turbo !!! im not going to be putting it on right away! im going to wait a little bit ill get the turbo i want in the long run and just run low boost and get use to it!! and as i get use to it and understand it all fully i will be slowly increasing the boost and all the good stuff. IF you could help me out with the engine parts like the harness's, or anything it would be great or just to say go fetch at the junk yard would be great. Thanx for every thing later.

I got your e-mail but just haven't responded back cause I've been busy...

But now that I have the time, I'll say something to you...

I know you've talked to Filip and me and him totally agree that you shouldn't do anything to your car till you have FULL understandment of how each part you want to buy works. First of all, you e-mailed me saying you want a 10 second STREETABLE car...have you ever even been in a 13 second car? Have you ever driven a 13 second car? Do you realize how fast a 10 second car is? Do you realize how much money you would have to spend? Do you also realize that a 10 second car will be 99% of the time not be a street car?

Naming a bunch of parts and understanding parts are 2 different things. Also, I hardley think you understand anything about how turbocharged vehicles work and maintain.

I don't mean to sound harsh but I don't want you to end up being one of those people who just start buying parts with no type of means or order. You're very young and probably new to the game...unless you have money growing off your trees in your back yard, you're going to spend alot of money, way more money than (dare I say it) you should spend in a J-body. Even if I had the money to make an 10 or 11 second J-body, I wouldn't do it.

My suggestion to you is to fully research things before you spend your money. Read lots of posts, start in 1 area, complete it then go to the next. Money management is very important. I don't want you to make the mistake like most young people do and spend every penny on their car and end up with nothing in the end. Modifying should be a hobby, not something that ruins your life and totally f**ks up your financial status.

Now, with that said, if you have you questions on a REALISTIC goal and/or where to start with modifying to reach your goal, than I have no problem helping you.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search