BEST SOUNDING EXHAUST ???NO RICE !!!! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
BEST SOUNDING EXHAUST ???NO RICE !!!!
Saturday, January 14, 2006 11:55 PM

Im looking to get a new exhaust system on my car and i want to get something that has a nice roar to it, but i dont want it to sound like a buzzing honda if you know what i mean

id prefer a nice low sounding roar . Something like the sound of a camaro exhaust system. I know you cant have the nice sound of a v8 , but does anyone have a system that puts out something that sounds more like that ???

Let me know !!

Re: BEST SOUNDING EXHAUST ???NO RICE !!!!
Sunday, January 15, 2006 12:08 AM
making it sound like a V8 is not easy... it all depends on mods....

heres 3 vid clips of my car to hear how it sounded...

idle

driving

burnout

personally I loved the tone, I thought it was perfect... I spent $140 total parts and labor welded and installed for the catback, plus a cheap high flow cat from e-bay and weapon R header. Plus an exhaust cutout.... no sound clips with te cut out open though.

The is no best sounding its all opinion.... there was a recent thread about how good the megan catback sounds.... personally I think it sounds absolutely horible when I heard it in person. I liek the Borla, its very quite idling but has a nice throaty tone when you get on it.

Sunday, January 15, 2006 2:51 AM
As far the word "rice" goes...please choose another word. It's a negative word and also a derogative word.

Now, when you hear others peoples cars that sound like "buzzing" or extremely loud or "nasty" it's either 1 or more things causing this:

1. Lack of resonators
2. Exhaust leaking
3. Too big of an exhaust system
4. The type of muffler they use

Also, the type of motor you have also plays an effect on how your exhaust tone is (example: A 2.4L TC Motor might sound deeper than a 1.6L SOHC Honda Motor).

So basically, get a proper sized (diameter) exhaust system, 2 1/4" would be suitable for our cars not boosted, make sure you get a big resonator (the bigger, the deeper...no pun intended) and after that, it shouldn't matter too much on what type of muffler you get. I prefer Magnaflow.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, January 15, 2006 6:50 AM

Thanks for the replys didnt really like the second one !!

rice is a nick name used to describe japanese cars, i own a honda civic hatch myself
and i call it rice.

this isnt referring to any type person if thats what your thinking. You just proved it that
you knew exactly what i was talking about and that i was reffering to hondas by the post you made

your name that you use on the site is more affending to some people then referring to a car as being rice !!

just wanted to clear that up !!
Sunday, January 15, 2006 6:57 AM

Darkstars your car sounds good !!

it sounds mean at idle, and when you hit the gas it gets better !!
im really considering that choice of muffler system !!
Sunday, January 15, 2006 7:10 AM
Jon C wrote:Thanks for the replys didnt really like the second one !!

rice is a nick name used to describe japanese cars, i own a honda civic hatch myself
and i call it rice.

this isnt referring to any type person if thats what your thinking. You just proved it that
you knew exactly what i was talking about and that i was reffering to hondas by the post you made

your name that you use on the site is more affending to some people then referring to a car as being rice !!

just wanted to clear that up !!

You didn't like my reply because I said the truth? It is a derogative statement no matter how YOU use it. If you still don't understand how it is a derogative statement, I suggest you look it up.

Also, I gave you a real answer and didn't flame you one bit and told you as nice as possible to choose another word around here to describe things.

If you can't appreciate my help, than that's your loss. Peace.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, January 15, 2006 9:24 AM
Heres what my exhaust sounds like.Its a short clip though.
http://media.putfile.com/Movie2855

Peter
'06 Cobalt ss/sc W/G85 Package
Gm Stage II W/2.79" Pulley
K&N Drop In Filter
Custom Magnaflow Dual Exhaust

Sunday, January 15, 2006 9:51 AM
Jon C wrote:Im looking to get a new exhaust system on my car and i want to get something that has a nice roar to it, but i dont want it to sound like a buzzing honda if you know what i mean

id prefer a nice low sounding roar . Something like the sound of a camaro exhaust system. I know you cant have the nice sound of a v8 , but does anyone have a system that puts out something that sounds more like that ???

Let me know !!

Nope. Nothing on a cavalier is gonna sound like that. Best you can do is get a long muffler and a long resonator and thats the best you're gonna do on these cars. Good brands would be Magnaflow, Borla, Dynomax, and I've heard mixed feelings about flowmaster.

Sunday, January 15, 2006 10:03 AM
Magnaflow rules all.
Sunday, January 15, 2006 11:10 AM
Jon C - I'm not trying to sound rude or crass but I'd like to give you a friendly heads up not to attempt to argue your position. Many of the members, especially the senior members like NJHK, will not tolerate a negative word like 'rice'. NJHK isn't known to flame a newbie like yourself, but many others will if you continue to use that word. Many members here consider that word an ignorant statement. Furthermore, he gave you a complete and informative answer that basically summed up what you can do to your car. I don't want to start an argument with you, I just want to help you out.

A 4 banger will not sound like a V8, but you can make an attempt at a low tone using a long resonator which will lower the volume of the exhaust somewhat and smooth out and deepen the tone. I think Art (aka Event) has, so far, installed the largest resonator on a J (either 31" or 32").

Keep in mind the brands that Dave Dunsmoor listed. They're quality products and many Org members are happy with the results after choosing one of those companies.

Hope that helped.

Blown.
Sunday, January 15, 2006 12:19 PM
lol njhk.. a senior member? what am I then? an egyptian?

resonator... nice muffler, magnaflows are t3h suck... tenzo r, megan, hks those are the ones you want

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Sunday, January 15, 2006 12:26 PM
Phil, you're an antique, hahaha!

Blown.
Sunday, January 15, 2006 12:29 PM
i got flowmasters and they sound great.. low and deep... no buzz at all, when their cold they dont sound as deep as they do when the cars fully warmed up but thats no big deal i literally drive down the block and they sound fine... their heavy tho, if i can rember right they felt about 10lbs each and that was outta the box... i'm happy with them people ask all the time if the car has a V6.... but they'll be gone by this summer, replaced with the rksport duals which i kno are magnaflows... heres a pic if ur interested, doesnt really show the mufflers but their there... not many people feel the quad tips but that was back in my younger days. lol

sorry bout the size geocities sucks dick...

Sunday, January 15, 2006 1:48 PM

hey DaBlackZ i love the look of the exhaust you have on your cav if your mufflers are still in good shape and your selling them soon, then id get them off you !

i just got a bomex bumper and i want to run a dual exhaust with it let me know on a price !!
Sunday, January 15, 2006 2:06 PM
i have a borla pro xs muffler w/ header and full 2.1/4 piping all the way and it sound real good. it has a low deep sound but after 4K rpm @ WOT it seems the exhaust just silences out and all you hear is the motor. well for my car atleast.

Sunday, January 15, 2006 2:10 PM
Keep in mind that every car/engine is different and what may sound low to someone maybe be high to someone else.

I have a dual Magnaflow cat-back (Magnaflow cat and Weapon-R header soon to go on) with 2.25" tubing and I think it sounds deep without the raspiness.

Blown.
Sunday, January 15, 2006 2:34 PM
QBE (73H 800573D 0N3) wrote:lol njhk.. a senior member? what am I then? an egyptian?

resonator... nice muffler, magnaflows are t3h suck... tenzo r, megan, hks those are the ones you want

true... true..

Cross reference info:

(john lenko)Joined: Thursday, January 3, 2002
(Phil QBE) Joined: Sunday, January 6, 2002
(Dave 2 uniq) Joined: Friday, February 15, 2002
(Adam NJHK)Joined: Saturday, December 20, 2003

so actually that makes lenko a ROMAN !!! lol
phils an egyptian!
Daves an egyptian teen
and that makes adam a an catholic!!!!!

OEM CAMBER/CASTER KIT 10 People for $210 <P>
GOT ECOTEC?
Sunday, January 15, 2006 4:00 PM
Hey,whats going on dave?I havent seen you in a while.I seen your car not too long ago at that stereo shop at the end of central ave.

Back to the topic,
I do not recommend a tenzo muffler at all.I had a dual setup with the tenzo x-spec,and it sounded like azz.And that was with a 22" resonator.Then i changed it to a single exhaust,and it still sounded horrible.The amount of exhaust tickets i got because of those mufflers is not worth it.Im happy with my magnaflow,and i havent been stopped for a loud exhaust yet.If i were you id find the longest oval shaped straight through muffler you can fit under your car and use that.

Peter
K&N Drop In Filter

Sunday, January 15, 2006 5:01 PM
ptrblkz24 wrote:Hey,whats going on dave?I havent seen you in a while.I seen your car not too long ago at that stereo shop at the end of central ave.

Back to the topic,
I do not recommend a tenzo muffler at all.I had a dual setup with the tenzo x-spec,and it sounded like azz.And that was with a 22" resonator.Then i changed it to a single exhaust,and it still sounded horrible.The amount of exhaust tickets i got because of those mufflers is not worth it.Im happy with my magnaflow,and i havent been stopped for a loud exhaust yet.If i were you id find the longest oval shaped straight through muffler you can fit under your car and use that.

odd... I had a tenzo xspec and it was quiet and everyone lvoed it tony from cnfx sold out many times because of the videos he has of my car and he even through one on his car, we both had magnaflow powerpack resonators, but I guess you have dick cops, we never had problems here either, it's all personal preference

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Sunday, January 15, 2006 5:12 PM
Yeah,i seen your dyno video with that muffler,and it sounded awsome.Was your turbo on your car in that video?Turbos usually cut the sound down alot.My car was so loud that even if i put my car in neutral and rolled by the cops,they would still pull me over.These were the state and county cops,they were real dicks.I never had a problem with the yonkers cops.

Peter
K&N Drop In Filter

Sunday, January 15, 2006 5:59 PM
Dave (2 UNIQ) wrote:
QBE (73H 800573D 0N3) wrote:lol njhk.. a senior member? what am I then? an egyptian?

true... true..

Cross reference info:

(john lenko)Joined: Thursday, January 3, 2002
(Phil QBE) Joined: Sunday, January 6, 2002
(Dave 2 uniq) Joined: Friday, February 15, 2002
(Adam NJHK)Joined: Saturday, December 20, 2003

so actually that makes lenko a ROMAN !!! lol
phils an egyptian!
Daves an egyptian teen
and that makes adam a an catholic!!!!!

Those join dates are SO WRONG!!! I was here in May 2000. It was Jan 2002 we all had to re-register, and most of us didn't get the dates reset.

Dave sux0rs

Sunday, January 15, 2006 6:23 PM
Here is my exhaust. I have a pacesetter header, high flow Cat, 2.5" pipe, DYnomax Superturbo exhaust.
http://media.putfile.com/Exhaust-sound

http://media.putfile.com/Exhaust-sound-263

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Sunday, January 15, 2006 6:34 PM
ptrblkz24 wrote:Yeah,i seen your dyno video with that muffler,and it sounded awsome.Was your turbo on your car in that video?Turbos usually cut the sound down alot.My car was so loud that even if i put my car in neutral and rolled by the cops,they would still pull me over.These were the state and county cops,they were real dicks.I never had a problem with the yonkers cops.

no that was NA

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Sunday, January 15, 2006 6:52 PM
the flowmaster 60 series has a good low tone...but thats just me...thats on stock pipes with a 2.4ld9
Sunday, January 15, 2006 7:48 PM
i have weapon-r header to 2.25'' piping 18'' resonator and 50 series FM muffler its sounds good down low but when i get on it it gets raspy. changing it this year hopefully or early next year all depends when the turbo goes in.

MY 2003 SUNFIRE 15.63@87.86mph

"A N/A ecotec is not gonna give Honda's and Mitsu's that much of a run for their
money unless their blown or bottle fed.GM is still smokin crack!"
~1QWKZ24
www.streetracing.org, 08/2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search