who has the best cams? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
who has the best cams?
Thursday, January 12, 2006 6:20 AM
while i am looking into rebuilding my car i see that a couple of places offer cams for the 2.4. jbody performance says 22 whp with their cams, is that possible or BS? just trying to get all the help i can before shelling out the money for some. thanks

Re: who has the best cams?
Thursday, January 12, 2006 6:35 AM
my friend has Level Zero Cams he loves them

Thursday, January 12, 2006 6:46 AM
There is really no "Best" cam(s), only an appropriate cam(s) for you application. There's the JBP cams of course, but also the Secret Cam Swap. You can call any cam manufacturer( Crane Cams, Comp Cams, Isky Cams, Crower Cams, Lazer Cams, Level Zero, etc...) most any of them have cams and/or regrinds for your 2.4. Talk to them and they'll ask you a few questions about what you have and what your plans for the car are and they'll match you up with a good set of cams.

Thursday, January 12, 2006 7:26 AM
MadJack wrote:There is really no "Best" cam(s), only an appropriate cam(s) for you application. There's the JBP cams of course, but also the Secret Cam Swap. You can call any cam manufacturer( Crane Cams, Comp Cams, Isky Cams, Crower Cams, Lazer Cams, Level Zero, etc...) most any of them have cams and/or regrinds for your 2.4. Talk to them and they'll ask you a few questions about what you have and what your plans for the car are and they'll match you up with a good set of cams.

He said it right there.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, January 12, 2006 7:28 AM
how much are you guys spending on cams including install
Thursday, January 12, 2006 7:47 AM
mike gless wrote:how much are you guys spending on cams including install

Camshafts were about $400 and some change. Install costed me about $600 (and let me mention that was the cheapest price I could find).

Thursday, January 12, 2006 7:48 AM
For the install, you're going to be replacing, cams, filters, gaskets, tensioner shoes/guides and fluids. (oil, lubes)
An everything engine gasket kit is gonna run about $200.
The lifters about another $200. (yes change them)
You'll need some cam prelube.
More motor oil.
Some gasket maker.
And a few other misc. stuff.

After all of that, then you'll get to install the things.
And is HIGHLY recommended eto do yourself or have a friend help.
Friends or family that know how to work on there types of components.

If you go to a garage or something, they may azz rape you for labor.

So, if yo're looking at any NON 2.3 hybrid cam swap cams.
Save about $1000 for the cams and other required parts.

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Thursday, January 12, 2006 4:27 PM
so who would you trust to buy cams from? crane or jbody performance? how hard is it to actually install them anyways?
Friday, January 13, 2006 8:23 AM
Either company is fine.
Its just too bad jbody is up in Canada so we take a hit on shipping charges n such.

And changing the cams isn't 'hard'

Just like anything that envolves a lot of parts, you just have to keep track of what you're doing.
After helping with my install, I"m sure I could probably change them out.
But I wouldn't take that risk.

And its not easily a one man job. You're gonna want a helping hand.
Or two.

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Friday, January 13, 2006 1:58 PM
so is jbody performance accurate when they say there cams will give you 22 whp? if so that is the best numbers gain i have seen for our cars.
Friday, January 13, 2006 2:06 PM
james briscoe wrote:so is jbody performance accurate when they say there cams will give you 22 whp? if so that is the best numbers gain i have seen for our cars.

A word of advice, never listen to any company that gives you a HP gain amount...each application will react to a modification differently. You could gain 20 whp or gain 5 whp, there is no set amount. Heck, you could lose 5 whp...it all depends on how it reacts.

Another word of advice, when it comes to big camshafts, you need to watch your fuel. Your computer could see this extra air and make you run rich...running rich on the top end = loss of power. I know this from experience.

Friday, January 13, 2006 2:11 PM
so how do you think they will react with 10 psi from the gm supercharger p/p head, pistons, rods etc? decent gains or a waste of time and money?
Friday, January 13, 2006 2:15 PM
i got my seceret cams for 75$ and installed them with a help from a friend.

Friday, January 13, 2006 2:34 PM
^ mine were.....$40......no kidding. Gasket kit was $12...... even if that aint proper it works.

Friday, January 13, 2006 3:37 PM
james briscoe wrote:so how do you think they will react with 10 psi from the gm supercharger p/p head, pistons, rods etc? decent gains or a waste of time and money?

I think those stage 2 cams aren't boost friendly... might be wrong though.

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
Friday, January 13, 2006 3:54 PM
Yeah, the LZM/JBP cams (they're the same grind, just different retailers) are NOT boost friendly... to much overlap. If only 2.4s had adj cam gears. I had 'em in my 2.4 and loved 'em. You'll loose some low end, but hey, I'm one of four 14sec n/a LD9s.

As for the 22whp gain, the guy had an aem intake, catback, and an automatic... even with the 22whp gain, he slowed down in the 1/4 mile thanks to his powerband being moved out of the usable range of an automatic.

Got boost or an automatic, get secrets.
n/a, got nitrous and a 5-speed, the LZM/JBP Stage IIs will work for you.

If you dont want to get used ones, Level Zero sells 'em cheaper than JBP.

Friday, January 13, 2006 4:14 PM
How would these cams react on a boosted 2.4 (GM charger)

"Racetek" cams from Ontario.

- Intake Cam: Duration @ .050 - Int. 216 - Lobe Lift .375

- Exhaust Cam: Duration @ .050 - Exh. 206 - Lobe Lift .358

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Friday, January 13, 2006 4:35 PM
Owen Stampflee wrote:Yeah, the LZM/JBP cams (they're the same grind, just different retailers) are NOT boost friendly... to much overlap. If only 2.4s had adj cam gears. I had 'em in my 2.4 and loved 'em. You'll loose some low end, but hey, I'm one of four 14sec n/a LD9s.

As for the 22whp gain, the guy had an aem intake, catback, and an automatic... even with the 22whp gain, he slowed down in the 1/4 mile thanks to his powerband being moved out of the usable range of an automatic.

So are we saying that the Stg 1 JBP cams are bad for boost also? Or just hte Stg 2's?

Friday, January 13, 2006 9:28 PM
LD9 Fury! wrote:
Owen Stampflee wrote:Yeah, the LZM/JBP cams (they're the same grind, just different retailers) are NOT boost friendly... to much overlap. If only 2.4s had adj cam gears. I had 'em in my 2.4 and loved 'em. You'll loose some low end, but hey, I'm one of four 14sec n/a LD9s.

So are we saying that the Stg 1 JBP cams are bad for boost also? Or just hte Stg 2's?

The less valve overlap, the better.

Friday, January 13, 2006 9:55 PM
can anyone answer my question above *****

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Friday, January 13, 2006 9:58 PM
JBP now has adjustable cam gear's part number(JP0582) ,seen them last week call them and ask? then you should be able to use what ever cam's you desire.

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Stock!!!!!

Friday, January 13, 2006 10:04 PM
Short Hand wrote:can anyone answer my question above *****

Never heard of those cams. Did you ask the company that sells them?

Friday, January 13, 2006 10:12 PM
Well, the specs are similar to the "secret cams"...... "ho cams right" ?

My Cav
I give up...
Saturday, January 14, 2006 12:29 AM
Firepower wrote:JBP now has adjustable cam gear's part number(JP0582) ,seen them last week call them and ask? then you should be able to use what ever cam's you desire.

seen that too.....can't wait for my build now!!!

2000 Camaro V6.
| SLP Loudmouth | CAI Intake | HID's |

Saturday, January 14, 2006 12:45 AM
^^^ are you the guy that comes out to Hooters every once and a while???

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search