SuperTrapp anyone? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
SuperTrapp anyone?
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 4:30 AM
Just wondering if anybody has heard a SuperTrapp muffler(any model) on a 2.4? From what I've read and heard in person - on other cars, from '85 Corollas to dual SuperTrapps on a Z28, they can be very loud if you use too many disks. But I also think they sound cool. Would a resonator even make a dent in the volume of these crazy-ass mufflers?

"If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking."

-General George S. Patton

Re: SuperTrapp anyone?
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 5:45 AM
Heard good things about them but the price excludes me from any first hand knowledge.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 6:21 AM
Never heard of them.

Yes, a resonator would lower the tone of the exhaust regardless of what kind of muffler you use.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 6:31 AM
I like them, never had one on my car but, heards and seen them on two of my friends cars. Sound nice and deep on both saturns they were on.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 8:29 AM
I had one on a motorbike a few years back. The more disks you put in, the quieter it gets. It was VERY loud, almost like open pipes. It was very deep though, and alittle raspy. Kinda like a large glasspack. Don't know how a car would sound with it though.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 9:16 AM
I had a Supertrapp muffler on my Saturn. By itself, it sounded kinda rough...the typical pissed-off swarm of bees in a tin-can sound. I added a Cherry Bomb glasspack right behind the cat and it smoothed things out nicely.

It's interesting to play around with it and change the number of disks to see how the engine reacts. You'll be surprised how much of a difference one disk can make. Eventually you can get to the point where you'll be able to "read" the disks to see how things are behaving.

Too MUCH backpressure is always a bad thing, but this is a quick easy way to prove to yourself and everyone else that a MANAGED amount of backpressure is good for the motor and good for low end torque without sacrificing high end breathing. An added benefit to the shape and design of the disks is that they create the restriction and backpressure at lower flow rates, but actually turn to extractors at higher flow rates. Unlike a basic straight exhaust, backpressure at low RPMs doesn't just mean more backpressure at higher RPMs. I highly recommend it.

09:f9:11:02:9d:74:e3:5b:d8:41:56:c5:63

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 12:21 PM
Thanks for the responses. SuperTrapp just moved up a notch on my short list of options. The others include the Hooker AeroChamber and Dynomax UltraFlo S.S.(this I already have in storage, removed from another car). All of these will be inline with a 25" Thrush Magnum Glasspack and possibly, with the exception of the SuperTrapp of course, Hedmen HotTips resonated tips to quiet the noise just a bit more.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 12:22 PM
I'd say to go with a SuperTrapp, they are awesome quality mufflers.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 12:41 PM
..oh, add Edelbrock RPM Mufflers to that list. I've read good things about these too. Any experiences with Edelbrocks? Sorry for all the questions, but I've only heard UltraFlo's on any car I've actually owned.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 2:03 PM
Damn, You sure have expensive taste in mufflers !! Edelbrock only makes great parts
NOTHING they make is bad, NOTHING. But they too are expensive. Hey you get what you pay 99.9999% of the time.

But again the price excludes me from purchasing them. but as I said Edlebrock makes only the very best stuff.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 2:17 PM
supertrapp are used on like atv's mainly arnt they

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 2:51 PM
They make exhaust for ATVs, motorcycles, & automobiles. They even came out with a muffler made specifically for sport compacts.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 1:14 PM
i Used to run a supertrapp on my quad and personally I hated it....too loud, not enough tunability and overall just a cheap construction...now this is just my expreience with the ATV supertrapps, I really don't know about that automotive ones
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search