unique exhaust - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
unique exhaust
Monday, December 12, 2005 10:48 PM
i only want to do a 2.1/8 exhaust. it would be 2.25 off the header, then to 21/8 piping to the y pipe (97 sunfireGT) then reduce to have 2" dual exhaust for some velocity.

my questions come in with my cat res.. nobody makes 2.1/8 cats or anything like that. so what would be best, have a 2" cat welded into the 2.1/8 piping or a 2.25 cat welded in? im also having to do this for the resonator.
can someone witha little exhaust knowledge advise me about the 2" reduction on the dual exits? should i just stay 2/1/8 all the way back or keep the reduction idea.

i personally think that 2.25 is gettinga little too big for our cars. i like my low end torque and i hear too many horror stories bout to torque loss happening so i decided this is what i want to do.
and plz dont start with the whole .......but your powerband moves up more in the rpms with the larger diameter blah blah...... i understand this. i've put exhaust on every single car i've ever owned and figured it out on my own. and besides, i don't plan on spinning the car to 5800 rpms before i shift in my daily driver. just like the rest of us, i like having a badass exhaust.

anyone know where to get 2 1/8 piping? found one place and thats it.

Re: unique exhaust
Monday, December 12, 2005 10:50 PM
your exhaust is only as strong as the narrowist point

so... 2.25 is what you'd have because of the cat being 2.25. it'll be sort of a bottleneck.

Monday, December 12, 2005 10:57 PM
I'm gonna beat NJHK to this but...

"wtf"

Monday, December 12, 2005 11:09 PM
^^^ you beat me too it.

Technicly your bottle neck is the stock 2" pipe, at the end of your exhuast.

Velocity, nothing, Do you know how exhaust flows through your exhaust system?

It pulses out, its not a smooth constant flow.

And if you still want low end TQ, Either do a Cat back 2.25 Inch, or get yourself a 4-2-1 Header.

I still dont see the point reducing your exhaust to stock piping.

Monday, December 12, 2005 11:18 PM
listen to this guy ^^^

Monday, December 12, 2005 11:26 PM
On top of that, it'd be a bad transition to go from one size pipe to a smaller size. Wouldn't that just create a flat obstruction for the gases when going from the larger pipe to smaller pipe?

Blown.
Monday, December 12, 2005 11:28 PM
this is so pointless I'm laughing right now. It's a J-body and there are what like 30,000 members on this site? There's no such thing as a unique exhaust anymore.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Monday, December 12, 2005 11:30 PM
i believe njhk was the one who said in a post that if you have dual exhaust, you need to reduce the diameter of the piping for velocity
that was the main point of this post. to get an answer on the reduction idea at the end. i just personally think that 2.25 is a little too big for the engine. so i will try this.
Monday, December 12, 2005 11:36 PM
then why on my stock gt the piping reduces from 2" to 1 7/8 after the Y pipe?? i get that it's a stock pipe, but still.
Monday, December 12, 2005 11:39 PM
its stock thats why lol, most stock exhaust systems restrict thats why we upgrade

Monday, December 12, 2005 11:43 PM
But then again you are thinking a bit about keeping the back pressure, true on the our engines back pressure is needed, but a 2.25 seems to be the equalibrium. Though maybe you should give it a try and see how it turns out.

Monday, December 12, 2005 11:51 PM
Nasty wrote:then why on my stock gt the piping reduces from 2" to 1 7/8 after the Y pipe?? i get that it's a stock pipe, but still.

GM does weird things. But 2.25 is the best NA pipe size to go for. And dont forget NJHK is boosted, are you?

Monday, December 12, 2005 11:56 PM
thank you import killer, you get what im trying to do. i just didn't want to use the word backpressure cause i thought someone might jump on me for it.
i just dont know about having 2 1/8 piping then having a 2.25 cat, res and muffler. that might be something a little to strange in the whole system.
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 12:05 AM
Why not go 2.25 the whole way through?

2.25 is an easy measurement for the cat and resonator and muffler in/outs?

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 12:18 AM
2.25 is equalibrium. end of story. you won't be adding more backpressure, just restricting flow.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search