CAI or SAI - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
CAI or SAI
Monday, December 12, 2005 4:27 AM
I was going to buy a ram air hood what one of thiose intakes works best. Please dont flame on me I am very new to cars.

Re: CAI or SAI
Monday, December 12, 2005 5:18 AM
whats a SAI?

And And intake is and intake is an intake. The differance between them in mostly cosmetic. Even a CAI verse a WAI is only a little bit, if any.

Monday, December 12, 2005 5:24 AM
sai well i mean short ram air intake what one would be best for a ram air hood? is there an intake that hood directly to the hood?
Monday, December 12, 2005 5:33 AM
Neither is better. You need to be going 100+ mph to get any gain from a ram air hood.

Monday, December 12, 2005 5:40 AM
well a cai souds better

Monday, December 12, 2005 5:47 AM
certsfire wrote:well a cai souds better

The souns is just a culmination of choice filter and piping and the angles.

Monday, December 12, 2005 6:07 AM
I think you need the stock intake and airbox to take advantage of the ram air hoods.

||Click to visit my Cardomain page|Omaha Racing|Nebraska Region SCCA||
Monday, December 12, 2005 8:21 AM
Tommy Boy ( Brutus ) wrote:I think you need the stock intake and airbox to take advantage of the ram air hoods.

You need atleast the stock airbox for the ram air hoods. However the rest of the intake tract can be replaced.

Monday, December 12, 2005 10:32 AM
Unless you drive 120 on the Autobahn every day, a ram air hood is pointless. But if you want one anyway, keep the stock airbox and replace the funky rubber nitake hose going to the throttlebody with a regular pipe. Most of the ramair hoods I've seen use the airbox as part of the system.

"Wenn ich gehen lasse von, was ich ich bin, werden Sie, was ich bedeutet werde, um zu sein."
Monday, December 12, 2005 11:43 AM
Get what ever is cheapest (within reason). When It comes to cars that push a lot of power, the type of intake matters but our cars produce too little power to notice a big difference between ram air, wai, or cai. I just have a wai cause it's extremely easy to install and maintain.
Monday, December 12, 2005 1:00 PM
the best intake ever. a turbocharger.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.

Monday, December 12, 2005 1:09 PM
Ronin wrote:Unless you drive 120 on the Autobahn every day, a ram air hood is pointless.

Old wives tale... Some of the VW guys have logged MAF grams per second with CAI, modded stock airbox, and stock airbox with ram air all the way through 3rd gear, the ram air did give a few more g/sec than either of the others. Is it the same as forced induction? no, but it IS an improvement. Personally if i were the original poster, I'd save my money and go turbo

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Monday, December 12, 2005 1:12 PM
/\ /\ /\ Oh I agree with him!!

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Monday, December 12, 2005 1:31 PM
Ok, more of a new question concerning this . . .

How is a Ram-air pointless unless your going over 100? A WAI is inside the engine bay and pulls in air that comes through. The CAI is usually under the car or in the bumper for the most part and pulls in air that comes through. Ram air is direct and the air is slammed directly into the engine, is it not? There is more restriction with the air getting to the CAI or WAI, so how is a ram-air useless compared to these? I'm kinda lost on that concept . . .
Monday, December 12, 2005 1:31 PM
with ram air speed is indifferent. the real advantage to ream air is that your not having to pull in air, the air pressure inside your engine(short ram) bay and fenderwell(cold air) is less than 1 bar (air pressure at sea level).

With a ram air you have less resistance at the source of intake, being located outside the engine bay.

However due to fluid dynamics, it's not going to actually force any air in. If that was true the turbo or super charger market wouldn't be so big because you'd get the same effect the faster you went, as boosting.

A better explanation of ram air would be free breathing, because your removing a good bit of air restriction, However systems like the Weapon R uses, destroys the effect of less restriction by having flex tubing for the ram air kit.

-Chris

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search