Weight redux - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Weight redux
Sunday, December 11, 2005 1:35 AM
I am trying to compile a list of possible weight reductions that I can do to my car and still keep a decent looking interior I have compiled a pretty good list, if anyone has anything else please post it.
Oh by the way, alot of my weight savings amounts were approximations! so dont yell if they seem like too much lol.

Stock curb weight 2886 lbs
- weight reductions:

1. Removing passenger side airbag -20 lbs
2. Removing airbag sensor and harness -2 lbs
3. Removing air conditioning hardware -45 lbs
4. Removing jack and spare tire -35 lbs
5. Removing rear seatbelt hardware -5 lbs

- current weight savings 107 lbs saved
- current curb weight 2779 lbs

- planned weight reductions:

1. Removing steering wheel w/drivers side airbag and converting to race wheel -15 lbs
2. Removing stock seats and converting to light weight racing seats -30 lbs
3. Removing carpeting and having spray liner sprayed in -30 lbs
4. Removing backseat -5 lbs
5. Removing all door panels and having spray liner sprayed in -30 lbs
6. Removing headliner and having spray liner spray in -3 lbs
7. Removing dashboard and installing light weight dash -10 lbs
8. Swtiching to carbon fiber hood -15 lbs
9. Switching to fiberglass fenders -8 lbs

- planned weight savings 146 lbs saved
- curb weight after redux 2633

A weight savings of 253 lbs over stock, that is approximately .25 in the 1/4 mile, especially for these cars with less than 200 ft lbs of torque, weight savings means a ton.

Re: Weight redux
Sunday, December 11, 2005 1:48 AM
It's an alright list. Every pound adds up of course so good luck with it.

My only thing is...do you really want to sacrifice safety for a few pounds (so to speak)? I'm refering to the airbags...

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, December 11, 2005 1:53 AM
In my personal opinion 5 point harnesses and no airbags is safe than 2 point belts with airbags
Sunday, December 11, 2005 1:58 AM
Brett Dixon wrote:In my personal opinion 5 point harnesses and no airbags is safe than 2 point belts with airbags

Possibly but I would personally like to have every pre-caution and safety part I could have. Also, is this your daily driver? Do you get inspections reguarly (every 2 years or so)?

Also, where are you getting this lightweight dashboard?

Sunday, December 11, 2005 2:11 AM
The lightweight dashboard I am making out of fiberglass, molding it over the stock one so it has a similar shape just less lines and ridges, it is a pretty much race only thing though, I will drive with the stock dash in. And as far as inspections yea I get regular inspections, but I can pass them
Sunday, December 11, 2005 2:20 AM
Brett Dixon wrote:The lightweight dashboard I am making out of fiberglass, molding it over the stock one so it has a similar shape just less lines and ridges, it is a pretty much race only thing though, I will drive with the stock dash in. And as far as inspections yea I get regular inspections, but I can pass them

Good luck with that...sounds like a serious pain in the ass to me.

Sunday, December 11, 2005 2:58 AM
Spray liner wieghts alot. I would go with a sheet metal dash with just enought to hold the gauges in. Also the heater and all its parts can go. Get rid of the power steering for wieght savings and some freed up hp. No stereo system. Anything in the truck, get rid of it. Lexan windows.

http://www.quad4forums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=975

Click the banner to enter the best Quad4 & Twin Cam site on the internet.
Sunday, December 11, 2005 4:30 AM
...there is also a lot of healt shielding, plastic (i.e. fenderwell liners), and bolts you can remove from the undercarriage. my mechanic probably took another 40 lbs off the bottom of my car from doing this.

...don't hate!.. respect people that have talent, even if it is in something you don't like or understand.
Sunday, December 11, 2005 7:43 AM
Brett Dixon wrote:In my personal opinion 5 point harnesses and no airbags is safe than 2 point belts with airbags

Only if you have a rollcage (or at least a bar).

Strip all the wiring you don't absolutely need (stereo, HVAC, etc). Ditch all the road ammenities (wipers, washer fluid tank, ABS, etc).

Sunday, December 11, 2005 8:06 AM
James Cahill wrote:Strip all the wiring you don't absolutely need (stereo, HVAC, etc).
This is the step I'm at right now, and let me tell you, it is VERY messy and VERY time consuming if you want to do a clean job of it (removing everything including the terminal pins). You can also remove the door sensors and associated wiring, rear defroster wiring (it's HUGE), and interior lights (dome, glovebox,trunk) w/ wiring. Can also convert to manual windows and locks if you don't already have them.

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Sunday, December 11, 2005 8:24 AM
Brett Dixon wrote:I am trying to compile a list of possible weight reductions that I can do to my car and still keep a decent looking interior I have compiled a pretty good list, if anyone has anything else please post it.
Oh by the way, alot of my weight savings amounts were approximations! so dont yell if they seem like too much lol.

Stock curb weight 2886 lbs
- weight reductions:

1. Removing passenger side airbag -20 lbs
2. Removing airbag sensor and harness -2 lbs
3. Removing air conditioning hardware -45 lbs
4. Removing jack and spare tire -35 lbs
5. Removing rear seatbelt hardware -5 lbs

- current weight savings 107 lbs saved
- current curb weight 2779 lbs

- planned weight reductions:

1. Removing steering wheel w/drivers side airbag and converting to race wheel -15 lbs
2. Removing stock seats and converting to light weight racing seats -30 lbs
3. Removing carpeting and having spray liner sprayed in -30 lbs
4. Removing backseat -5 lbs
5. Removing all door panels and having spray liner sprayed in -30 lbs
6. Removing headliner and having spray liner spray in -3 lbs
7. Removing dashboard and installing light weight dash -10 lbs
8. Swtiching to carbon fiber hood -15 lbs
9. Switching to fiberglass fenders -8 lbs

- planned weight savings 146 lbs saved
- curb weight after redux 2633

A weight savings of 253 lbs over stock, that is approximately .25 in the 1/4 mile, especially for these cars with less than 200 ft lbs of torque, weight savings means a ton.

I have a base 2001 2 door cavalier that weighs in at 2350lbs ...... with 17" rims......

I am GUTTED BEYOND BELIEF
when cops pull me over they search my ENTIRE CAR ..... it take a whole 2 seconds cuz it's all metal anyways .........................

think about it like this .....................
I have no exhaust ...... no cat or muffler.... thats another 100lbs right there.......
and side exit .... less piping ..... all the things you replace as you sup up the car and going to reduce weight if you get good parts.

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
14.224 @ 102.01MPH @ 5.5psi.... 2.3 60'
Next: Civic JDM B16a2 w/GSR LSD Turbo - Goal 300whp 1400lbs...

Sunday, December 11, 2005 11:09 AM
I gutted out my car's interior (backseat, carpet, & panels) and I still want to take off weight. The carpet weighed more then expected but the panels and backseat were light. I still want to take stuff out like you, but never done this before and I don't want to mess up anything doing so, you know? And all you need is a rigged inspection sticker, it's only about $80.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2208703
Sunday, December 11, 2005 12:59 PM
rigged inspection sticker? is there any way they can check it against a computer? or does it really fool cops.

Sunday, December 11, 2005 1:27 PM
what about a/c thats probably a good amount of weight. 250 lbs in these cars would probably drop you like 4/10ths maybe more. runs in my buddies auto talon would be way slower with me and another friend riding along with him about 340 lbs. the car would run 17.1 every run, when my buddy and i hopped in we would go 17.9 to 18.1 every time we rode with him.

15.4 @ 89mph
Sunday, December 11, 2005 4:52 PM
hey Lee do you have a list of everything you gutted out of your car to get it down to 2300 and change, that is an impressive curb weight and would drop me a ton of time. Also is this car your daily driver?
Sunday, December 11, 2005 7:41 PM
just off the top of my head....

All interior...... seatbelts.......... passanger seat...... speakers...... stereo...............lightened flywheel, crank pulley, no carpet...... no cat no muffler..... side exit.... (WAY less pipe).... spare tire, jack, tire iron etc..... I mean everything from the interior....I still have a dash.. but gutted underneath... no a/c, manual windows....... no center concole....... ummmm...... gutted seats....(I unrapped them and gutted foam out from the back)..........ummm...thats all I can think of..... I have taken out more... let me do a list ...
I'll pm you ...

YES THIS IS A DAILY DRIVER... (IN THE SUMMER).........

the exhaust made the largest difference..... from before with a cat a HUGE MUFFLER i was at 2450.... I drop like 90 lbs from that ...... they cut off some @!#$ underneath from the old exhaust hangers and @!#$ .....

it's in and around 2365 with the dash in .......

when I go to the track ... no dash no pass air bag .......2350..........
with a 1/4 tank ............

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
14.224 @ 102.01MPH @ 5.5psi.... 2.3 60'
Next: Civic JDM B16a2 w/GSR LSD Turbo - Goal 300whp 1400lbs...
Monday, December 12, 2005 12:03 AM
Weight reduction? Not needed, just draws attention. Just make the car faster.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Monday, December 12, 2005 12:57 AM
Weight reductions do make the car faster
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search