Alternator Question - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Alternator Question
Friday, October 21, 2005 5:45 AM
So I'm run'n with my 97 and the ol alternator has seen better days. I've had an underdrive crank pulley on it for about 3 years now, and now that it's time to change the alternator, I've bean thinking of upgrading. Question is, is the combination posible? I've did my search'n but havn't really found a dead on answer. Someone told me that i should throw my old crank pulley back on if i upgrade my alternaor stating that if i kept my underdrive on a 150+ alternator i would get the same electrical performance as I would with the old pulley on a 105 amp. Any input? Honestly if a 105 will do the trick and cause no hasles i'll go that route. I got a system in the car, and rarely run my AC, but the damn thin idles so low (650) that all the lights dim and the system likes to cut out. That problem started about a year ago, now when i'm at the light, my police radar is shutting on and off and the speakers are fuz'n out, it only goes away if i rev it up to 1000rpm or more at the light. So i'm figuring the alternator has seen better days, the battery is only a couple months old. Thanks for any input.

Re: Alternator Question
Friday, October 21, 2005 7:33 AM
Best alternators you can use are the GM OEM alternators. Honestly, I'd get the alternator, and then either get an alternator pulley, OR just throw out your underdrive pulley, sell it on ebay or something, and get one of the RSM crank pulleys. They are stock size, lightest on the market, and will not affect your charging system at all.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Friday, October 21, 2005 11:00 AM
So does the unorthodox and underdrive hold the same gains? I'm guessing with the regular size of the unorthodox pulley, i wouldn'g be running into charging problems?
Friday, October 21, 2005 12:19 PM
Ok, so i've did more research. If I was to put a unorthodox (i assume this is the one that is stock size but lighter) acompanied with a lighter stock size alternator pulley i should be in the clear as i'm not underdriving anything. Would i be wrong on that?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search