blown head gasket Ecotec - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
blown head gasket Ecotec
Sunday, October 02, 2005 9:02 PM
just wondering since i have to replace the head gasket if the head needs resurfacing what would be the max i could shave it and keep things working alright, i.e. timing chain slack?

i know there was someone on here that had shaved there head cant remember who though but i havent heard any problems yet

thanks in advance

The one, the only, ME.

Re: blown head gasket Ecotec
Sunday, October 02, 2005 9:10 PM
how on earth did you blow the head gasket...?

Sunday, October 02, 2005 9:10 PM
just BARELY any. about 1 MM i believe

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Sunday, October 02, 2005 9:27 PM
yeah how DID you blow the headgasket on an 04?

Monday, October 03, 2005 12:06 AM
yea id like to know that too i thought it was really hard to do

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg
Monday, October 03, 2005 1:38 AM
Roy...were you doing something stupid AGAIN?!?!?

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Monday, October 03, 2005 1:40 AM
I figured it out!

You took off your valve cover to polish it and the donut you were eating spilled jelly inside the motor...

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Monday, October 03, 2005 6:03 AM
your guess is as good as mine like i said i had it on cruise control at 75 on the interstate when it happened so you got me its gonna be about a $350 fix which i dont have but it needs to get done and i think i will just go with .005 on the head itself and then the cometic gasket its .010 thinner then oem.

and adam i dont like jelly doughnuts haha

The one, the only, ME.
Monday, October 03, 2005 8:31 AM
What kind of fool doesn't like jelly doughnuts? Everyone likes jelly doughnuts!

Monday, October 03, 2005 8:57 AM
lol any ways im guessing i just got one of those friday or monday cars cause theres no other explaination really, i wasnt abusing the car i dont have anything dramatic done to the engine yet

The one, the only, ME.
Monday, October 03, 2005 9:40 AM
if the car is a 04 , why are you fixing it and not having the dealer do it ??

Monday, October 03, 2005 12:36 PM
60000 mi/5 yr warranty and i have 83000 miles on the car

The one, the only, ME.
Monday, October 03, 2005 12:40 PM
WOW , your a driving fool

LOL

guess you shoulda got the 100,000 5year , lol

if your keep the motor n/a then go with the smaller than stock gasket , if your gonna boost it go with the thicker gasket

Monday, October 03, 2005 12:59 PM
my plans exactly haha and i may even shave the head .005-.010 in addition to the .010 thinner gasket from cometic

The one, the only, ME.
Monday, October 03, 2005 1:05 PM
04eco wrote:your guess is as good as mine like i said i had it on cruise control at 75 on the interstate when it happened

Well, WHAT exactly happened while driving that makes you certain the headgasket is shot? What are the symptoms? Modern headgaskets on engines that have a cylinder head and block of the same material rarely if ever fail, so what exactly is the engine doing that leads you to believe its blown?

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Monday, October 03, 2005 1:16 PM
You spread the diesease of breaking things to the chevy truck and the gto lol only thing running that was near you was the mustang lol.

Give me a call if you need some help driving to any of those places (if you found one)

JHound
I took a Grey Hound bus to the 2005 GMSC Bash

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/501000-501999/501209_5.jpg
Monday, October 03, 2005 1:23 PM
Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) wrote:
04eco wrote:your guess is as good as mine like i said i had it on cruise control at 75 on the interstate when it happened

Well, WHAT exactly happened while driving that makes you certain the headgasket is shot? What are the symptoms? Modern headgaskets on engines that have a cylinder head and block of the same material rarely if ever fail, so what exactly is the engine doing that leads you to believe its blown?

coolant level is low with no puddles, coolant smell out the exhaust coolant and oil in the TB, coolant smell from the TB, coolant and oil it looks like is in the intake manifold, it just sit and sputters if it starts, and it jsut started sputtering severly when it happened right away and lost all power and died

The one, the only, ME.
Monday, October 03, 2005 1:30 PM
04eco wrote:60000 mi/5 yr warranty and i have 83000 miles on the car

No wonder gas prices are so high .

Monday, October 03, 2005 1:33 PM
yep i'm supporting the terrorists and loving it lol

The one, the only, ME.
Monday, October 03, 2005 2:29 PM
You might have another problem with that water in the intake manifold. You have the possibility of a bent rod. I think you check that by checking the piston to deck height.

Borsty wrote:Bio:------------- i work at ups lifting heavy @!#$ ill day, and i rip phonebooks in half

Monday, October 03, 2005 3:06 PM
actually that sounds like possibility of cracked head

could be just the gasket , but make sure you have the head checked for sure

Monday, October 03, 2005 3:26 PM
thats odd this is the first ive heard of anyone blowing one on an eco

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Monday, October 03, 2005 3:59 PM
its the first case ive heard of to and yea very possible its a cracked head i just pray to god its not i definitely dont have the money for that right now id have to go and try to refinance the car and get a few thousand extra out of the deal

The one, the only, ME.
Monday, October 03, 2005 5:53 PM
Wow... Thats an awful lot of coolant everywhere! Did you ever overheat the engine or did it just spontaneously up and start spewing steam out the exhaust? At Dodge we see blown gaskets all the time because all of the 4 bangers dodge makes are iron block aluminum head, the different expansion rates can lead to ripped headgaskets easily. I have very rarely heard of an all aluminum engine blowing a gasket unless there was another cause, ie: a warped deck or head, or perhaps a headbolt torque issue... Good luck man just make sure whoever does your work thoroughly checks the head and block for cracks and flatness, or you'll be doing it all over again within a few days.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Monday, October 03, 2005 7:12 PM
Dude you would probably be better off buying another engine from a wrecker or ebay, so atleast when you do want to build an engine you already have your other one and you will be able to find out whats wrong with that one.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search