Dual Exhaust on '04 sunfire - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Dual Exhaust on '04 sunfire
Sunday, October 02, 2005 5:42 AM
Ok, so i went out this week trying to find a shop that would put cat back exhaust with dual exits on it and all of um decided to tell me that i shouldn't change it and so they didn't give me a price (i think they're stupid). Well anyways, at one of the places he had me put my car up on his jack and i found this black box behind the fuel tank which would then mean that i couldn't do duals unless i ran it under the spare tire well and it'd look wierd. So i was wondering two things
1. What is the box thing-is it a filter, pump, bomb....???
2. How would i do dual exhaust
Im sure other people have noticed this and this is prolly a stupid question with an easy answer but then again, thats what forums are for : )

Thanx
-Seth

Re: Dual Exhaust on '04 sunfire
Sunday, October 02, 2005 7:46 AM
i believe the box is a charcoal canister...not sure if you can move it

Sunday, October 02, 2005 8:07 AM
wizkiddrummer wrote:Ok, so i went out this week trying to find a shop that would put cat back exhaust with dual exits on it and all of um decided to tell me that i shouldn't change it and so they didn't give me a price (i think they're stupid). Well anyways, at one of the places he had me put my car up on his jack and i found this black box behind the fuel tank which would then mean that i couldn't do duals unless i ran it under the spare tire well and it'd look wierd. So i was wondering two things
Im sure other people have noticed this and this is prolly a stupid question with an easy answer but then again, thats what forums are for : )

Thanx
-Seth

I had the same issue when putting duals on my 99 z24 when I had it. Don't worry about moving it, just take it somewhere that can do custom pipe bending, it will be work just fine, and you will never know you had to bend around it.

**there is only one true love in my life... and my girlfriend has learned to live with it**
Sunday, October 02, 2005 11:25 AM
K-so r u saying to reroute the exhaust or the canister??? And also, does anyone know how to reroute the canister and if you can do that??

-Seth

Sunday, October 02, 2005 11:45 AM
another idea u can use is, buy a flowmaster camaro style muffler and have that mounted, my buddy just threw one on his car, many ppl on here have done it as well. if u search for camaro exhaust im sure youo'll find one.
nice and easy and they look and sound sweet

Sunday, October 02, 2005 9:51 PM
wizkiddrummer wrote:Ok, so i went out this week trying to find a shop that would put cat back exhaust with dual exits on it and all of um decided to tell me that i shouldn't change it and so they didn't give me a price (i think they're stupid). Well anyways, at one of the places he had me put my car up on his jack and i found this black box behind the fuel tank which would then mean that i couldn't do duals unless i ran it under the spare tire well and it'd look wierd. So i was wondering two things

Thanx
-Seth

I'm not sure what that is but if they were a real exhaust shop, they would be worried about it. I say take it to a shop that knows what they are doing.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, October 02, 2005 10:12 PM
I have an 05 Sunfire and did a custom cat back with duel tips

here's a pic:

Here's the parts I used for the Cat Back:
- $180 Custom compression bent 2.25" Catback pipes
- $75 Magnaflow Cat (43005) -from Gravana
- $55 Magnaflow 18" Resonator (14494) - From justmagnaflow.com (no longer made)
- $35 Magnaflow Muffler (11148) - 2.25 in / duel 2" out - From Ebay
- $50 Magnaflow Tips (35127) From Ebay, $25 each

So, $395 for the cat back

Headers were $250, and I installed them myself

Sunday, October 02, 2005 10:16 PM
Sorry for the duble post... but forgot to mention something

My muffler is in the stock location. the passenger tip cuts across the back between the bumper and the spair tire well, then has a hanger attached to the rear of the frame.

Hope that helps

Sunday, October 02, 2005 10:24 PM
Ok, cool - thanx for the parts list. Whats the sound like??? and is there anyway that you can get a sound clip - like from a video camera or something. Also, did u notice any power gains???

-Seth

Sunday, October 02, 2005 10:34 PM
wizkiddrummer wrote:Ok, cool - thanx for the parts list. Whats the sound like??? and is there anyway that you can get a sound clip - like from a video camera or something. Also, did u notice any power gains???

-Seth

Actually having dual exits on our cars could hurt our performance a tad bit or not perform as well as if we had a single exit setup.

I also have a custom made exhaust system...mine is 2 1/2" with Magnaflow mufflers (I don't have any resonators).

Exhaust Sound Clip

Interior Sound Clip

Monday, October 03, 2005 8:48 AM
I don't have anything to record my set up with

As far as performance gains... between the exhaust and 60mm TB I have on there, my car flys from 3k to about 5K...

I don't have any dyno numbers either

As for track times... lets just say the driver hurts the times more than anything else :crys:

Monday, October 03, 2005 8:43 PM
DeadBob wrote:I don't have anything to record my set up with

As far as performance gains... between the exhaust and 60mm TB I have on there, my car flys from 3k to about 5K...

I don't have any dyno numbers either

As for track times... lets just say the driver hurts the times more than anything else :crys:

That's why it's good to have friends with cameras...

If you think your car flies at 3k, drive mine...my camshafts kick right in hard perfectly at 3k rpms.

Good luck on your track times.

By the way, if anyone wants more videos, just let me know.

Monday, October 03, 2005 8:44 PM
sure - videos are good

Monday, October 03, 2005 8:54 PM
wizkiddrummer wrote:sure - videos are good

I'll whore away again...

Video #1

Video #2

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 9:06 AM
NKHK, sad thing is I have a check sitting right here from the VA for $795. I was going to use that for Cams. However, because I lost a good chunk of my pelt grants for making to much money last year I gotta use that check for school now

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 11:24 AM
DeadBob wrote:NKHK, sad thing is I have a check sitting right here from the VA for $795. I was going to use that for Cams. However, because I lost a good chunk of my pelt grants for making to much money last year I gotta use that check for school now

School = The Devil

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 12:02 PM
I love the vids , we just need some Honda killing videos and I think I will be the happiest man alive. Nice car too.
Tuesday, October 04, 2005 12:48 PM
greenecotec2004 wrote:I love the vids , we just need some Honda killing videos and I think I will be the happiest man alive. Nice car too.

Thanks. I actually haven't raced an Honda in a WHILE...I miss it...the SOHC guys are the funniest too.

Thanks for the compliments.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 1:26 PM
you raced the SUV like last month

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 5:58 PM
Tony Wise(emokidpsy) wrote:you raced the SUV like last month

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=43&i=54504&t=54504#54504

^^ Yeah that was funny

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 11:32 AM
My Magnaflow dual cat-back came in the mail today. I plan on putting it on tomorrow after work. (05 Cavalier) I'll let you know what happens. I found this thread cause I was wondering about the passenger side muffler/tip.

Thursday, October 06, 2005 2:37 PM
^^^ I put this exhaust on today and it worked fine. The black box, I believe, is a pump, but it was not a problem for me, my new exhaust pipe ran right between this "pump" and the spare tire well.
Thursday, October 06, 2005 4:43 PM
Pat wrote:^^^ I put this exhaust on today and it worked fine. The black box, I believe, is a pump, but it was not a problem for me, my new exhaust pipe ran right between this "pump" and the spare tire well.

Glad you didn't have problems

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search