2200 + Getrag Tranny - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2200 + Getrag Tranny
Sunday, September 25, 2005 9:14 PM
OK. So I know the news is out to some of you. I'm building a 2200 motor for my 95 Cav. Now, I'm pretty anti-izuzu at this point because of the power I intend to be putting down with it. So I'm all for going Getrag at this point. So I know the Getrag came in 2000+ 2200 motors. Now, since that's covered, I just want to make sure, 100%, that ANY 2000, 2001, or 2002... 2200 OHV with the Getrag can be swapped into my 95. I will be performing the auto > manual swap. I just want to make sure there aren't any big surprises headed my way whenever I actually get done building the motor.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.

Re: 2200 + Getrag Tranny
Sunday, September 25, 2005 9:22 PM
i would imagine since there wasn't a short throw shifter, and there still isn't trans poly mounts for the isuzu, that the mounting locations will not be the same or something

I'm just hypothesizing

the shifter assembly was different too apparently since the B&M only worked on 2000+ cavaliers but they've since come out with a short throw for the old school ones too

I would assume you'll have to get the old school short throw (so it'll definetly fit your chassis) might have to custom make some shifter cables...

i say your biggest concern would be the tranny mounts to chassis

Sunday, September 25, 2005 10:10 PM
It will be fine, but make sure to get 2000+ mounts with it. The front mounting location stays the same but I believe that the rear has to be moved back (I'll check it out for you tomorrow). You will need the shifter cables and assembly, as well as a master from a 2000+.

Quoth the Raven 'Nevermore
raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Sunday, September 25, 2005 10:14 PM
Oh, forgot to add. If you plan on putting any kind of torque through it just make sure to replace the input shaft bearing and seal once a year. The tranny will handle the power no problem but after a while the seal will start to leak oil over the clutch. If you change them once a year you shouldn't run into any problems.

Quoth the Raven 'Nevermore
raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Monday, September 26, 2005 12:37 AM
Yeah the manual swap isn't too bad. I did one on a 97. We found a 99 in the junkyard which really helped. We pulled the shift lever assembly and center console trim piece, shift cables, clutch pedal assembly and master cylinder assembly, brake and gas pedal (cause the brake pedals are different sizes between auto and manual), both half shafts, flywheel and clutch assembly, and all the mounts. This consisted of the mounts bolted to the transmission and the ones welded to the frame rails. Since I found one in a junkyard, I cut the frame rail completely off the car. Since the mounts are welded onto the frame rail, I cut them out on the weld so they would fit flush on the new frame. But before I cut them out, I measured in a couple of places to make sure they went in the factory locations. Once i got them cut out and cleaned up, I welded them into place on the new frame. Not to brag or anything but when we put the transmission into place, it lined up and slid right into place. Anyways, the only problem we ran into was the idle because the computer was setup for an automatic. But it wasn't a big deal and it was hard to even notice the slight difference in rpm. The car ran fine and is still on the road almost a year later. Yours should only vary slightly since its the Getrag but it shouldn't be too far off.

Boosted 97 2.2L 5 Speed
Boosted 3.4L soon to come
Monday, September 26, 2005 7:06 AM
so can i do this swap on a 2.2 or should I do a 2200 with the 5sp?

Go Check Out My Z26 Message Board @ http://v6z26.proboards12.com/index.cgi and tell me what you think Thanks
Monday, September 26, 2005 1:18 PM
raven wrote:Oh, forgot to add. If you plan on putting any kind of torque through it just make sure to replace the input shaft bearing and seal once a year. The tranny will handle the power no problem but after a while the seal will start to leak oil over the clutch. If you change them once a year you shouldn't run into any problems.

not looking forward to that but i guess i'll probably just do clutch, and input shaft bearing and seal all at the same time since i'll have to pull the tranny anyawys

TheFlyingSquirrel (PJ) wrote:i would imagine since there wasn't a short throw shifter, and there still isn't trans poly mounts for the isuzu, that the mounting locations will not be the same or something

I'm just hypothesizing

the shifter assembly was different too apparently since the B&M only worked on 2000+ cavaliers but they've since come out with a short throw for the old school ones too

I would assume you'll have to get the old school short throw (so it'll definetly fit your chassis) might have to custom make some shifter cables...

i say your biggest concern would be the tranny mounts to chassis

I'm not worried about any of the Izuzu stuff as I have an automatic right now. So regardless, it's all getting ripped out.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 8:39 AM
any more insight from the masters?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search