Best Resonable engine swap - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Best Resonable engine swap
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 6:37 PM
Ok guys, I know this has been a big discussion and has been talked about alot. but im looking for something specific.

What I have..... 1997 2.2 cavalier (manual)..

What im looking for is to do an engine swap but I am not wanting to do heavy modifications to get a bigger engine to fit.

What i know i want:

1. 2.4 or bigger
2. Easy bolt on as far as engine mounts and wiring harness'
3. dont want to spend forever on it.

I know this is not going to be an overnight process but im not wanting to take forever on it. This winter the 2.2 is getting yanked out but my question is what motor is more bang for the buck i guess. I keep on seeing the 3800 supercharged engine come up in these discussions. Really I guess what im looking for is something thats reasonable in price and reasonable in installation.. I apprecaite anyone and everyones advice and suggestions...

Thanks,

Derrick Hudson

Re: Best Resonable engine swap
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 6:43 PM
the 2.4 would be the "easiest" one because in 97 the 2.4 was around.

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 6:46 PM
I do however also do want nice horsepower gains.. So i guess if i go w/ a 2.4 I will most likely supercharge it or turbo it.. so idk.. i just want something bigger and better w/ out pulling out my hair to do it...

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 7:22 PM
you'll only get out as much as you put in.... power doesn't come easy, its all about how much power you want. I think your best bet would be a big turbo built eco

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 7:38 PM
Yeah thought about that to... b/c i am HIGHLY IMPRESSED w/ my 2005 ecotec cavy.. Has anyone done it yet and are the engine mounts the same?

Thanks

Derrick hudson

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 10:58 AM
Has anyone done the 3800 supercharged engine? and if so? how much was involved to get it to fit?

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 1:08 PM
TwiZtiD CaVy wrote:Has anyone done the 3800 supercharged engine? and if so? how much was involved to get it to fit?

There is a lot of work to get it in there and running. It fits fine, you don't have to cut anything in the engine bay. Price all depends on how much you can get the parts for, a complete front end basicly. I can get you a sub-frame/mounts, wiring harness and reprogrammed PCM. The rest would be up to you.

Send me an email if your interested.

Quoth the Raven 'Nevermore
raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Wednesday, September 21, 2005 1:14 PM
Quote:

I can get you a sub-frame/mounts, wiring harness and reprogrammed PCM. The rest would be up to you.

So basically I would need the above mentioned and the engine? to get it to work right?

Besides all the labor?

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 1:37 PM
you can always swap a 60v6(2.8/3.1/3100/3400) it share the same upper mount location the wiring harness is simple to change and the transmission bolt pattern/bellhousing is the same!

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 1:42 PM
You need a complete engine (engine, harness and PCM (these would be core), accessories, tranny, clutch, flywheel, shift cables and assembly, oil filter relocation kit, etc) Once you have everything then it's just labour but at that point it shouldn't be too bad.

Quoth the Raven 'Nevermore
raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Wednesday, September 21, 2005 2:43 PM
Welp idk what ima do.. i may just stick with the 2.2 or the 2.4...??? just turboed

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 3:14 PM
a 2.4 or an eco maybe your best bet

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Wednesday, September 21, 2005 7:19 PM
Yeah the 2.8 3.1 and 3.4 would be a much better swap for the power. I'm in the process of swapping in the 3.4. 185 horsepower out of that beast. Plus, Magnuson makes a blower for the 3.4 for a good size power gain off the already great 185.

Boosted 97 2.2L 5 Speed
Boosted 3.4L soon to come
Wednesday, September 21, 2005 8:25 PM
Raven,
Whats the price on the sub-frame/mounts, wiring harness and reprogrammed PCM.??
I would like to do the swap into my 95 sunfire 2.2

Nick

ShowFire

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 9:22 PM
High output ecotec engine, found in a cobalt SS non supercharged, 170 HP I believe. Then you could BUY the supercharger for it...

Or you could just jack someone's supercharged cobalt ss and be done with it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search