Porting stock ECO intake mani.... - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Porting stock ECO intake mani....
Thursday, September 01, 2005 5:58 PM
OK, so that other post was too long and no one wants to read through all that.

Are there any updates on this mod? Anyone have any pics of what they did? (there was one in that post, but it was fuzzy).

I was reading some stuff in there about "ridges" down inside the manifold. Can anyone explain these a little better?

What about splitting this thing open---anyone try that?

thanks

Re: Porting stock ECO intake mani....
Thursday, September 01, 2005 6:04 PM
If you "split it open" I'm pretty sure it would be ruined. I've heard the port matching does help I just have been too busy to try it yet.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, September 01, 2005 8:40 PM
listening....

Friday, September 02, 2005 12:53 PM
I'm gonna try it this weekend---i'll take some pics

Friday, September 02, 2005 1:20 PM
You going to try and split it and put it back together?

I thought og this, but was to worried about not getting it back together.

What would be used to try and glue it back together?

If it could be split and glued back... That would be even better than just port matching, or grinding doen the TB opening.
Friday, September 02, 2005 1:48 PM
I'm too scared to try to open it up, so I am just going to do what I can reach for now.

As for putting it back together, I would use JB Weld brand plastic epoxy.

Friday, September 02, 2005 3:41 PM
duct tape it back up lol..i'm gonna be spending my time trying to develop a new intake manifold, wish me luck

MY 2003 SUNFIRE

"A N/A ecotec is not gonna give Honda's and Mitsu's that much of a run for their
money unless their blown or bottle fed.GM is still smokin crack!"
~1QWKZ24
www.streetracing.org, 08/2001
Friday, September 02, 2005 3:55 PM
doesnt anyone ever listen to me. the mod is equal to that of putting an intake on (so says my but dyno) its alright just make sure you clog up the ports and use a vacum. Its not a wonder mod but its alright. worth it if your bored. also I used a dremel and there all not perfect this isnt going to mess up my compression is it?

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Saturday, September 03, 2005 5:59 AM
It may be minor, but if you do that and have an intake. Wouldn't that double the performance, than just having an intake?
Saturday, September 03, 2005 6:45 AM
OK. I talked to a friend who's a tech at Saturn & is also in NHRA.

He said that opening it up & epoxy it back together is possible, but the gains from porting it isn't going to be much at all. Definetly not worth the pain of doing all that work.

So the questions is... is the aluminum intake for ecotecs;I think from Saab; give any better gains than the plastic one.
Saturday, September 03, 2005 7:46 AM
Xian G wrote:OK. I talked to a friend who's a tech at Saturn & is also in NHRA.

He said that opening it up & epoxy it back together is possible, but the gains from porting it isn't going to be much at all. Definetly not worth the pain of doing all that work.

So the questions is... is the aluminum intake for ecotecs;I think from Saab; give any better gains than the plastic one.

I would think no on the Saab intake--at least for a N/A car. it is metal, which will absorb more heat.

However, if you use the Saab manifold, get it ported and use that Cry O2 intake cooler kit, you may have a better chance at seeing gains.

Saturday, September 03, 2005 8:39 AM
i port matched my intake and it made about the same difference as a air intake

see ya!

Saturday, September 03, 2005 9:36 AM
I searched for some sort of instructions on how to go about porting the plastic one. I didn't find any. Got any suggestions or tips? Did you just port the TB opening, or did you also port the intake ports? What about inside the runners?
Saturday, September 03, 2005 11:13 AM
I just pulled an intake off at the junkyard and the ports in the head seem the same size as the ones on the intake meaning that unless you pull the head and port it too your just wasting your time. Air can only flow thru the smallest opening so to port the intake alone won't do anything for you at all.

Saturday, September 03, 2005 11:44 AM
novaracer wrote:i port matched my intake and it made about the same difference as a air intake

Butt dynos are worthless... as an opinion, fine but no one hear should be ranting and raving about how much more power it makes without a dyno to back it up. Until then you "felt like" it made more power.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Saturday, September 03, 2005 11:50 AM
/\ /\ /\ thank you.

Saturday, September 03, 2005 6:15 PM
Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) wrote:
novaracer wrote:i port matched my intake and it made about the same difference as a air intake

Butt dynos are worthless... as an opinion, fine but no one hear should be ranting and raving about how much more power it makes without a dyno to back it up. Until then you "felt like" it made more power.
well before i ran a best of 15.9xx after i ran 15.629. but i was 5degrees cooler. either way it feels like more power. good mod for the money nun the less.

see ya!

Saturday, September 03, 2005 6:22 PM
but dynos are worthless because humans are incalble of felling any tipe of perforamnce

Sunday, September 04, 2005 1:14 AM
Well, I tried gutting one off of Ebay I had gotten a couple months ago. On the bottom front of the intake manifold it looks like you can cut out the rectangular piece of the mani which seems quarintined (Like it's meant to come off). Wrong. Since it is a scoll type I'd cut into all the ports as well, which I didn't expect and epoxyed it together(I don't think they were even-flowing after putting together). I ended up not using it for long, cuz it seemed like the engine couldn't bring it all in and a lot of torque was sacrificed. With the one that was originally on my car I just port matched the ports to the engine and got rid of alot of the bottleneck under the throttle body. This seemed to be the best for my setup. So I think attention should be directed elsewhere unless you are really bored and have no money. The butt dyno felt different both ways, people just hope for what they want I think. Hope this helps...

Sunday, September 04, 2005 10:22 AM
if you got time and a dreamel why not?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search