Dyno day this Saturday! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Dyno day this Saturday!
Wednesday, August 31, 2005 2:03 PM
Power adders are as follows:

1. Pacesetter 4-1 Header (Coated)
2. K&N Typhoon Short Ram Intake
3. 2 1/4" Custom catback
4. 2 1/4" Magnaflow Hi Flow Cat (is on the way but will be installed next week)
5. SAFC-2 (going to be tuned)

Not much, but will post the dyno results as soon as I get them in. I really hope to get around the 150whp range. A couple N/A guys here with SE-R Spec V Sentras squeezed 10-14 extra whp (yes, I was shocked) with a tuned SAFC-2 with the same mods as I, but we will see. I'll be happy with a 5whp gain and just a better power curve.

Peace!

Coming December:
Hahn Racecraft Turbo System with PortFueler
Hahn Racecraft Aluminum Intake Manifold
8:9.1 Compression Pistions (undecided on brand)
Eagle Connecting Rods
Stage 4 Clutch (undecided on brand)
Darton Sleeves
And much more!

Re: Dyno day this Saturday!
Wednesday, August 31, 2005 3:24 PM
Interesting, definitely let us know what you can get out of the SAFC and be sure to post your baseline. I was thinking about trying this myself.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 5:01 PM
Mr. Sexual Chocolate has a SAFC 2 as well, but I don't know if he has been able to tune it properly yet. I will be able to post the results as soon as Saturday evening. Baseline and tuned.

Peace!

Coming December:
Hahn Racecraft Turbo System with PortFueler
8:9.1 Compression Pistions (undecided on brand)
Eagle Connecting Rods
Stage 4 Clutch (undecided on brand)
Darton Sleeves
And much more!
Thursday, September 01, 2005 7:02 PM
Probably 145 hp 140 tq.

My Car
Friday, September 02, 2005 7:19 AM
with tune I would think upwards of 145 whp.

I'm definitely interested as I'm looking into a similar setup

15.891 @ 88 mph stock, still getting @!#$ty launches...
Saturday, September 03, 2005 10:27 AM
UPDATE: The car is in the shop getting the SAFC-2 installed along with my new Pacesetter 4-1 header. My new intake is still in Louisiana (God Bless), but that's okay. Meanwhile, I still have a cone filter on the stock intake tube. The shop owner told me that they may not be able to fit in tuning time today and if it's the case, he'll open up his shop for a hour or two to help me tune the ride either tomorrow or Monday.
www.etrackmasters.com is his website and his name's Arthur Wang. Good guy and great service!

I'm hoping for 150whp tuned with around the same range torque. We will see!

-Peace
Monday, September 05, 2005 12:27 PM
I had to leave my car at the shop for a long while, and the folks did not run a baseline dyno, so sorry about that.

The dyno results are as follows:

DYNOJET Research

128 hp
129 tq

3rd Gear Pull
85 degree weather, low humidity.

Mods on car at the time of the dyno:

4-1 Pacesetter header
2 1/4" Catback exhaust
Cone filter on stock intake tube
SAFC-2 (tuned)

NOTE: (K&N Typhoon Intake and Hi Flow Cat not installed yet)

The horsepower rating seems VERY low for what I have, which confuses me. Also, the car feels MUCH stronger than prior to the installation of the header and safc2 (which is tuned). What do you guys think? Do the horsepower and torque figures add up? Do we really lose 20hp from the crank to the wheels? I see folks on the org with a Eco with 140 whp and more with the same mods I have MINUS the SAFC2. The engine is in great shape too.

Stock HP rating is 140 *not to the wheels*

-Peace
Monday, September 05, 2005 12:32 PM
That's only 7 more hp than I put down with just an AEM intake.

Monday, September 05, 2005 12:53 PM
you should have done the VSS mod and run it in 4th, AFAIK when run in 3rd the numbers are off.

Monday, September 05, 2005 12:54 PM
I dont know how true it is but this might shed some light on the subject

I've heard that the 04-05 ecotec engines are slightly different than those in 02 and 03.

basically, the later engines are more powerful than their older counterparts

I'm not sure how or why, but I could almost swear seeing a chart comparing every year of ecotec engine, and there's quite a few changes from 02 to the 04-05 engine. the 04-05 is essentially the same with some very slight differences if I remember correctly

also, I don't know what your other mods are since your registry seems out of date, but an SAFC-2 is kind of a pointless mod on a car that isn't running boost or nitrous or some kind of sick amounts of compression or an UBER aggressive cam... basically its a mod that (on a mildly modified car) will yeild maybe 7 hp for the $400 or so you blow on it... doesn't seem worth it to me there's other mods in that price range that yield a lot more that should be done first

Quote:

Power adders are as follows:

1. Pacesetter 4-1 Header (Coated)
2. K&N Typhoon Short Ram Intake
3. 2 1/4" Custom catback
4. 2 1/4" Magnaflow Hi Flow Cat (is on the way but will be installed next week)
5. SAFC-2 (going to be tuned)

these aren't power adders. Power adders are raised compression, nitrous, and boost. These mods only reclaim power that the engine already had.

Monday, September 05, 2005 12:58 PM
also altering the fuel and air isn't really that significant without the timing to back it up....

timing is going to be a bigger increase than anything else I believe

but, everything works hand in hand.. more aire, more fuel, more spark & timing

Monday, September 05, 2005 1:34 PM
Thanks for your tips, PJ. I intend to turbocharge my car very soon as you can see in my profile. Otherwise I wouldn't have purchased the SAFC-2. Also the 04-05 Ecotecs are the same minus a few features. I've raced a friend of mine that has a 05 Ion with a Injen RD CAI and TRD catback and my car walked him from start to finish (with only a cone filter and 2 1/4" exhaust). I know weight is a factor though, that being his car weighs about 2700-2800 lbs and mine weighs in at 2400 or so. (value package).
Dante, what is the VSS mod? Any help on that subject would be appreciated. (I will do a search too).
Also, the SAFC2 is throwing a CEL (probably the notorious low voltage code), so I will have to go buy a 330 or so ohm resistor and apply that to a couple wires to alleviate the issue.

Thanks for your help and input, folks.

-Peace

Coming in December:
Hahn Racecraft Turbo System w/PortFueler
Coming Next Month:
8:9.1 Compression Pistons
Eagle Connecting Rods
Monday, September 05, 2005 2:34 PM
^^^the VSS mod cuts your speedo so that you can go past 170, and dyno the full 4th gear, because our 4th gear is closest to 1:1 ratio. I don't know how to do it though, a search should help you out for that.

Monday, September 05, 2005 3:51 PM
I've searched for the VSS but no results. I don't plan on going faster than 107 on the streets (never past 90 on even the highway actually) , but I will need to have no problems with a govenor when I get to the track (when this car is turbocharged in the next couple months). I guess I'll ask the Chevy or Saturn guys I know in town to help me out with that since VSS is such a taboo topic on the org, which I COMPLETELY understand why.

Coming in December:
Hahn Racecraft Turbo System w/PortFueler
Coming Next Month:
8:9.1 Compression Pistons
Eagle Connecting Rods
Monday, September 05, 2005 6:17 PM
Sasuke wrote:I had to leave my car at the shop for a long while, and the folks did not run a baseline dyno, so sorry about that.

The dyno results are as follows:

DYNOJET Research

128 hp
129 tq

3rd Gear Pull
85 degree weather, low humidity.

Mods on car at the time of the dyno:

4-1 Pacesetter header
2 1/4" Catback exhaust
Cone filter on stock intake tube
SAFC-2 (tuned)

NOTE: (K&N Typhoon Intake and Hi Flow Cat not installed yet)

The horsepower rating seems VERY low for what I have, which confuses me. Also, the car feels MUCH stronger than prior to the installation of the header and safc2 (which is tuned). What do you guys think? Do the horsepower and torque figures add up? Do we really lose 20hp from the crank to the wheels? I see folks on the org with a Eco with 140 whp and more with the same mods I have MINUS the SAFC2. The engine is in great shape too.

Stock HP rating is 140 *not to the wheels*

-Peace

Yes your numbers seem low. A better flowing intake might help it some. not saying a lot, but some.
Yes tranny power loss is about 20hp, or 13-18%. A base line run would have been so much better in this case. Also what were your air/fuel numbers?

Quote:

I dont know how true it is but this might shed some light on the subject

I've heard that the 04-05 ecotec engines are slightly different than those in 02 and 03.

basically, the later engines are more powerful than their older counterparts

I'm not sure how or why, but I could almost swear seeing a chart comparing every year of ecotec engine, and there's quite a few changes from 02 to the 04-05 engine. the 04-05 is essentially the same with some very slight differences if I remember correctly

also, I don't know what your other mods are since your registry seems out of date, but an SAFC-2 is kind of a pointless mod on a car that isn't running boost or nitrous or some kind of sick amounts of compression or an UBER aggressive cam... basically its a mod that (on a mildly modified car) will yeild maybe 7 hp for the $400 or so you blow on it... doesn't seem worth it to me there's other mods in that price range that yield a lot more that should be done first

one he listed his mods in this post, on what the car had when dynoed. Need ot read it again. A S-AFC is not pointless. Air/Fuel tuning on a n/a car can gain nice power.
Where did you get 7hp gain from a SAFC???? There is no set number on any mod let alone that one.

FU Tuning

Monday, September 05, 2005 6:42 PM
Kind of pointless withough a baseline, of course they ran a baseline if they really "tuned it" You just don't stick on the SAFC and say oh its "tuned" now, tuned from what? Without a way to compare you don't know if its actually doing anything and from the looks of things I doubt it.
Those do look low for dynojet numbers but essentially your exhaust mods aren't really doing much because you don't have the full 2 1/4 in yet and also still have a stock intake, the cone filter isn't going to do anything over stock.
I would say get the exhaust finished, install the intake, and also
If they did "tune" your car it was completely pointless because its all going to change when you put on the intake and finish the exhaust and will have to be re-tuned.

Once its finished make sure they save the results of the dyno before they reset the SAFC.

Monday, September 05, 2005 6:56 PM
Alright, I will hopefully have the 2 1/4" hi flow cat installed along with the new intake sometime this week. My car's throwing a code from the SAFC2 (low voltage) so I'll just take it back to the shop and have them fix the problem with the resistor trick and re-tune the vehicle (with a baseline) after I get the new stuff put on. From there, I'm going to WATCH them tune it. I learned my lesson from the previous experience.
They have a good reputation, but from now on, I will be there to make sure things are being performed as they should be. Do you guys have any suggestions on tuning the SAFC2? It's pretty much greek to me minus the formulas and some of the terms. I'm afraid to doodle with it because I don't want to disrupt my engine in any permanent manner...

Thanks guys.
Monday, September 05, 2005 8:35 PM
Sasuke wrote:Alright, I will hopefully have the 2 1/4" hi flow cat installed along with the new intake sometime this week. My car's throwing a code from the SAFC2 (low voltage) so I'll just take it back to the shop and have them fix the problem with the resistor trick and re-tune the vehicle (with a baseline) after I get the new stuff put on. From there, I'm going to WATCH them tune it. I learned my lesson from the previous experience.
They have a good reputation, but from now on, I will be there to make sure things are being performed as they should be. Do you guys have any suggestions on tuning the SAFC2? It's pretty much greek to me minus the formulas and some of the terms. I'm afraid to doodle with it because I don't want to disrupt my engine in any permanent manner...

Thanks guys.

You can;t really have a baseline now. A baseline (dynoed before those mods added), would have shown what you gained.
they can get a baseline before the tune. Also ask for air/fuel ratio, if they do not have that, then they can't tune it.

FU Tuning

Monday, September 05, 2005 10:33 PM
i made almost 120 on my car with the 3in intake and motor mounts. if you only made 128 you have some serious issues.

you should have no issue dynoing in 4th gear...youll hit the rev limiter just about the time you hit the speed limiter

IM me sometime and i can help you with the VSS. i have mine hooked up so i can easily turn it off at the track.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Tuesday, September 06, 2005 5:27 AM
hypsy wrote:i made almost 120 on my car with the 3in intake and motor mounts. if you only made 128 you have some serious issues.

you should have no issue dynoing in 4th gear...youll hit the rev limiter just about the time you hit the speed limiter

IM me sometime and i can help you with the VSS. i have mine hooked up so i can easily turn it off at the track.

As far as the hit rev limiter and speed limier at the same time. Wrong. Should have a easy 2000-2500 RPM's left.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, September 06, 2005 5:30 AM
John Higgins wrote:
As far as the hit rev limiter and speed limier at the same time. Wrong. Should have a easy 2000-2500 RPM's left.

I'll back that up.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005 6:55 AM
Quote:

You can;t really have a baseline now. A baseline (dynoed before those mods added), would have shown what you gained.
they can get a baseline before the tune. Also ask for air/fuel ratio, if they do not have that, then they can't tune it.

^^^That's what I meant. I will most definitely watch things a little closer when they're tuning so I'll learn from observation.

Hypsy, I'll IM you sometime tonight and I appreciate the help in advance.

.25Also... Maybe their dyno isn't accurate? I took my car to the 1/8th mile track that night and the lowest time I ran was a 10.14. That was with my 18's that have a hard compound rubber and at 32psi. (I had terrible traction issues) i.e. 2.35* 60' to 2.5** 60'.
My trap speed was at 69mph, which sucks. I'm going to take my car again this upcoming weekend with the 14's on the front in hopes that I'll run better than my best 9.790 1/8th mile time.

Peace
Tuesday, September 06, 2005 9:47 AM
well for me they both come about the same time. then again i race on drag radials so any major tuning is done on those so we can get a real view with the different ratio they cause

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Tuesday, September 06, 2005 12:34 PM
Another question, btw. What is a good a/f ratio for a N/A Eco? I'm thinking 14 to 14.5? Correct me if I'm wrong please. Also, could it be that the low voltage code that the SAFC2 caused is robbing the horsepower that the car would make otherwise?

Thanks!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search