custom 04 WAI intake quesionts - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
custom 04 WAI intake quesionts
Saturday, July 30, 2005 9:55 AM
first i want it to connect it to the TB, what size tubing do i need to get, second there are lots of cables connecting to the plastic airsilencer on my stock car. i take it i need to drill holls in my tubing to attach those to. does it matter how i do it. If i drill 4 holls plug the cables in, attach the AIT sensor, and attach a filter will everything work good, thank you.

Re: custom 04 WAI intake quesionts
Saturday, July 30, 2005 9:59 AM
dude I have absolutely no idea what your attempting to say.... cables (throttle cable, wiring, cruise control cable, vacum lines? what are you tlaking about and holes ect and what intake? do you have an intake or are you making a custom one or what? my advise take some pics of what you have for an intake and what parts your tlaking about on the car and post them up.

Saturday, July 30, 2005 10:14 AM
i only have a stock intake, and there are some cables that connect to the plastic air silenecer, i hav eno idea what to do with those.
Saturday, July 30, 2005 12:09 PM
you probably have one little hose coming from the fuel rail... thats some sort of pressure relief tube... you need a hole for that. theres also the IAT sensor, which measures air temperature in the intake... you need a hole for that. there's also a line from the valve cover to the intake, that's the crankcase breather... you can either put a filter on the valve cover nipple, or route a hose from there to your new intake tubing.

Saturday, July 30, 2005 12:30 PM
I'm guessing you have a 2200. If that's the case the cables you are talking about are not a concern and you don't need to drill any holes. Simply tie them to a safe location(that's the easiest). The only hole you need to drill is for the IAT sensor. However, I do suggest you attach a bracket to the tubing and mount it securely to something, otherwise it will flop/bounce around a little under your hood.
Saturday, July 30, 2005 3:04 PM
ok awesome, i do have the 2.2l ecotec.
so my next question was what size tubing do i get, and where do people recommmend getting it. I do have the tube that goes from the valve cover, so ill get a filter for that. and i have two lines comming from the "fuel rail" i guess, what do i do with those, then i have the IAT sensor.
Saturday, July 30, 2005 4:15 PM
Go to AutoZone and buy the generic short air intake pipe for $25.00,
it is alot easier then making your own, it has the port with grommet already and the PCV location also, and vacuum line that goes to the fuel rail.

So instead of saving the $5.00 by making it your self by the cheap one and get a good quality cone filter on the end.
Saturday, July 30, 2005 5:23 PM
oh thanks for the heads up kross does this get rid of that crappy plastic air silencer
Saturday, July 30, 2005 6:02 PM
Yes, and they also has a few different colors to choose from too.
Saturday, July 30, 2005 8:57 PM
i went to autozone but they didnt have a generic short ram, do you have a part number?? also is it CARB certified.
Saturday, July 30, 2005 11:58 PM
ws6+04cav= FTW wrote:i went to autozone but they didnt have a generic short ram, do you have a part number?? also is it CARB certified.

if you buy something generic, do you really think its gonna be carb certified.....think about that....

Sunday, July 31, 2005 12:08 AM
I'll stop by my local AZ later today(Sunday), there where a few different colors, any preference on color?
Sunday, July 31, 2005 10:11 AM
hey event thanks for your reply you were really a big help . black would be just fine with me tahnsk for helping kross
Sunday, July 31, 2005 10:19 AM
ws6+04cav= FTW wrote:hey event thanks for your reply you were really a big help . black would be just fine with me tahnsk for helping kross

it should be a big help....

the reason things are carb and epa certified is because a company paid the money to get em certified for each year....

if you buy generic parts, they are usually cheap...... reason...... they arent charging you for certifications and otherwise....

also when you make your own intake, its not gonna be carb certified... if you need that, like in california cars, you have to buy the ENTIRE intake....

using a carb certified piece doesnt make the whole intake certified....

i figured that would have been a logical thing more than anything

Sunday, July 31, 2005 3:44 PM
well no duh my own intake wouldnt be carb certified, i was hoping that getting a pipe could be, chill out christ
Sunday, July 31, 2005 4:06 PM
unless you buy from a company that has their name brand certified for the full intake, piping itself individually isnt certified... its not like its a special type of pipe.

and actually you need to chill out, you're the ONLY one here getting worked up about it...

Sunday, July 31, 2005 4:53 PM
If you decide to go with an Autozone intake, which is basically a spray painted piece of pipe, make sure that you dont use the filter that comes with it. If i can remember correctly, its un-oiled cotton, which doesnt filter well at all. This has been proven with countless UOA's that show horrible oil cleanliness with the use of an unoiled filter. Even K&Ns have shown decreased protection over paper. Grab a Generic paper cone filter too. IMO, The stock intake is hardly restrictive at all in a NA ecotec.
Sunday, July 31, 2005 4:58 PM
i thought paper filters are crappy and restrictive compared to k&n any other opinions
Sunday, July 31, 2005 6:28 PM
ws6+04cav= FTW wrote:i thought paper filters are crappy and restrictive compared to k&n any other opinions

paper filters are crap.... its paper people! paper deteriorates quicker, especially once wet...

gauze filters are good for filters and longevity... can be cleaned and reused.

foam filters arent as good as they are cheap, hence easy to buy a new one and throw away the old....foam is so porous that dirt gets trapped in the foams pores and disrupts air flow...

guaze filters are the way to go.....

you are supposed to oil them lightly,,,,not drench it in oil....

race teams use it, on 20,000$ engines professional and amateur, not to mention guaze flows better than paper or foam over time....

Sunday, July 31, 2005 7:01 PM
thnx event thats what i thought.
Sunday, July 31, 2005 10:28 PM
Rob Smith wrote: IMO, The stock intake is hardly restrictive at all in a NA ecotec.

Well, facts have shown that the stock 03+ cavi intake (just for instance) is very restrictive and slows down responce time when mashing the gas.

And if facts aren't your thing, test your opinion out, throw on a Spectre universal Short air intake with a good cone filter(the cone filter that comes with/ or sold seperately), and test it out for yourself.Even on a bone stock ECO you will see an improvment.

The spectre intake isn't painted either it is actually polished stainless steel.

I shouldn't have called it a generic intake system, it is made by Spectre so it has a name brand just not the highest end products.

I didn't get the chance to go get a part number today (Sunday), I will try to stop there tomorrow, I have to pass it by a few times throughout the day.

Monday, August 01, 2005 1:24 PM
awesome i dunno thought the k&n filter is like 65+25 tubbing i might just fork out the extra and get a k&n shortram if the price is right
Monday, August 01, 2005 3:07 PM
just for reference though, you dont NEED a K&N filter..... any guaze filter will do the job the same granting you keep em clean.

K&N are usually high in price, mainly because of the name and prestige.... but the performance will be the same as accel;s cool blue filters, summit racing;s green filters, or most any other guaze filter.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search