Magnaflow sound when cold - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Magnaflow sound when cold
Friday, July 29, 2005 5:54 PM
After 3 months, my Magnaflow muffler sound great ! But, I've notice something : Is it perfectly normal that my muffler sounds like @!#$ when I start the car and drive it for the first 5 minutes ?

Pontiac Sunfire 1999.....The POWER of pushrods!!

Re: Magnaflow sound when cold
Friday, July 29, 2005 6:00 PM
Yes that normal, I have a catback (Vibrant) and it doesn't sound the same until it's warmed up.

Friday, July 29, 2005 6:06 PM
Whew, thank God! I'm glad that I'm not the only one with this behavior It sounds like a Civic mixed with a weedeater when I push the go pedal after starting the engine! I wonder what sound it will make when winter comes !

Friday, July 29, 2005 6:54 PM
yeah same here...for about the first 2-5 mins...then it's warm and sounds like a beast haha...vibrant 2.5"(prepping for boost)

Friday, July 29, 2005 6:57 PM
yeah i noticed that too. when i first start it and drive it, it sounds bad when i get to about 4000 rpms then it goes away.

Friday, July 29, 2005 7:36 PM
Yes, it's totally natural.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Friday, July 29, 2005 8:03 PM
Warm up your car first.

My Car
Saturday, July 30, 2005 5:17 AM
Sunfires rule! (Tom) wrote:Warm up your car first.

even with it completely warmed up sitting...sounds the same when you first start...but for less time

Saturday, July 30, 2005 8:59 AM
Sunfire 99 OHV wrote:Whew, thank God! I'm glad that I'm not the only one with this behavior It sounds like a Civic mixed with a weedeater when I push the go pedal after starting the engine! I wonder what sound it will make when winter comes !

you do realize that ALL 4 cylinders sound like this...

its pretty retarded of you to say it sounds like a civic....

its basically you have a 4 cylinder, and your pipe is probably a bit too large for the mods your currently have and you dont have a resonator large enough if at all, to help the muffler quiet things down.

its not a civic or honda thing, its a 4 cylinder thing.

if you have the right size resonator to compliment the muffler, there isnt any "warm up time waiting period"

Saturday, July 30, 2005 2:55 PM
Dam-it Muffins (Event) wrote:
its basically you have a 4 cylinder, and your pipe is probably a bit too large for the mods your currently have and you dont have a resonator large enough if at all, to help the muffler quiet things down.

if you have the right size resonator to compliment the muffler, there isnt any "warm up time waiting period"

I'm still using the stock resonator....

Saturday, July 30, 2005 11:33 PM
Sunfire 99 OHV wrote:
Dam-it Muffins (Event) wrote:

I'm still using the stock resonator....

theres a reason its called a STOCK one................................

Sunday, July 31, 2005 9:25 PM
yea..i have the magnaflow catback system (2.25) and ive asked the some question...it sounds like total dog @!#$ the first time you get into it..whether the car is warm or cold....do what event said and get a good resonator. im workin on getting an 18" one....but other than that my friends say my car sounds pretty good..."sounds a little riced out but a lot deeper" .......that works for me...still want a resonator though....i dont even have the stock one

Cavalier z24......A poor man's Camaro....close enough, right?
Monday, August 01, 2005 6:57 PM
thats common with magnaflows

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Monday, August 01, 2005 7:47 PM
Rodimus Prime wrote:thats common with magnaflows

its common with ANY muffler....

Monday, August 01, 2005 7:48 PM
especially when you run a pipe size thats larger than the engine itself can use efficiently...

Monday, August 01, 2005 9:01 PM
yup they are all right. it just happens. want to reduce / eliminate it? get a resonator.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Monday, August 01, 2005 10:19 PM
or decrease your pipe size....

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search