Check Engine Light Still a Problem - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Check Engine Light Still a Problem
Friday, July 29, 2005 2:00 PM
Awhile ago I got some good advise from the folks here concerning my CEL coming on after I spliced in a section of wire into my front O2 sensor of my 2200. I was advised to simply solder in a section of wire to make the sensor longer so that it could reach the bung location in the new header. This worked for about 300km but then it came on again...reset. After resetting my ECU and another 300km on it came again. Is the light coming on because of the O2 sensor or could it be something else? If it is the sensor is there another way to fix this and please don't tell me to buy a new sensor because I would still need the wire to be longer. Should I go to a garage and have them read the code? Help would be appreciated. Thanks

Re: Check Engine Light Still a Problem
Friday, July 29, 2005 3:55 PM
which side of the clip did you splice into? sensor side or PCM side? also, when you check the CEL code, what code are you getting?

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Friday, July 29, 2005 4:06 PM
I simply spliced a section orfwire right into the middle of the original wire between the sensor and the clip. I don't have the equipment to check the code being thrown.
Friday, July 29, 2005 4:09 PM
replace the sensor, reattempt the splice, this time on the PCM side of the clip. make sure you do everything properly. this is for an A/F ratio gauge isn't it?

Friday, July 29, 2005 4:16 PM
Can't I just remove the spliced section of wire and solder the original two ends back together and then replice on the PCM side? What do you mean A/F ratio gauge?
Friday, July 29, 2005 4:17 PM
you could just have a faulty sensor. it's best to do the splicing on the PCM side of the clip. trust me. and i was asking about the gauge because that's what people are doing most of the time when they have to splice into the o2 sensor wire.

Friday, July 29, 2005 4:22 PM
I guess it would be worth it to resplice on the PCM side and give it a go before forking out $120CDN for a new sensor. Asfar as the guage I just used the same gauge size. I don't know what A/F gauage is. Maybe I should find out. Really appreciate your advice here Spotabee. Thanks.
Friday, July 29, 2005 4:26 PM
First when the light comes on to to AutoZone or a parts store and get the CEL checked to see what it is. You need to know that first. It could be something else.

FU Tuning

Friday, July 29, 2005 4:40 PM
this is true. get your code read within 44 driving cycles otherwise its cleared. and you can get an o2 sensor for cheaper than that. that $120 CDN is the dealership price am I correct? Or does that just seem like a lot to me because $120 is a lot for any sensor in the US? lol

Friday, July 29, 2005 4:52 PM
No Autozones here in Thunder Bay Canada. I guess your right I should take it somewhere to have it read first. Yes the $120CDN is a dealer price. Can I get it cheaper new from somewhere else? Where?
Friday, July 29, 2005 4:58 PM
Black 3Z wrote:No Autozones here in Thunder Bay Canada. I guess your right I should take it somewhere to have it read first. Yes the $120CDN is a dealer price. Can I get it cheaper new from somewhere else? Where?

any place that sells auto parts should have one. such as O'Reily's... Advance Auto... Pep Boys... ther's a billion out there.

Friday, July 29, 2005 8:34 PM
You know I was thinking...maybe it isn't the sensor itself but the cat. I have not yet increased the diameter of the pipe from my header down pipe and back. Would this cause the cat to plug or something and give a trouble reading to the sensor? Just a thought...or am I overthinking this.
Friday, July 29, 2005 8:45 PM
Get your code check and come back and tell us what it was for. As for the senosr if it is the back one they run about $120. I would not get one other than a AC Delco one. I have heard people having issues with Bosch ones.

FU Tuning

Friday, July 29, 2005 8:48 PM
If it turns out to be a sensor I will take your advice and get the AC Delco. Thanks.
Friday, July 29, 2005 9:00 PM
One last question. The CEL was cleared when I disconnected my battery (did stereo work this week). Will the trouble code still be readable?
Sunday, July 31, 2005 5:28 AM
i think the computer cycles through and picks up errors. thats what i noticed about mine, it seems like if its a real problem the light will come on again after a while.

Sunday, July 31, 2005 3:35 PM
I have this same problem with my 95 sunfire. My mom took it into the shop before she gave it to me, and they said that there was a bad sensor that was causing the CEL to come on. They told her that it could be 1 of 4 sensors, and they were fairly expensive to replace.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search