Autometer gauge problems - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Autometer gauge problems
Thursday, July 21, 2005 3:09 PM
ok so today i was trying to hook up my oil temp and trany temp gauges, and i cant get them to work. i tested it and all the wiring is right, the problem is that the sending unit is supposed to ground its self out and since there both threaded into aluminum they dont. but even when i put a ground wire onto the sender i still cant get them to work, my oil pressure and water temp that go into the block both work fine...

i cant figure it out... any idea's?

Re: Autometer gauge problems
Thursday, July 21, 2005 3:16 PM
Why do you think aluminum isn't a ground?

The senders work by making a resistance, do the gauges just not move, or are they all the way to one side or the other?

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Thursday, July 21, 2005 3:21 PM
they just stay at zero... for some reason i though aluminum didn't ground. but either way i don't know whats up with them

Thursday, July 21, 2005 3:22 PM
Try touching the sensor wire to ground. The senders don't create voltages, they create resistances, so if you ground it, the gauge should go all the way to the side. If not, then its a wiring problem and you have a break in the wire somewhere.

Thursday, July 21, 2005 3:26 PM
ya thats why i know its not a wiring problem, i grounded the sender wire and the needles move up like there supposed to, so then i got to thinking that maby aluminum wasn't a ground but aparently im just crazy

Thursday, July 21, 2005 3:46 PM
Well my head is aluminum, my extension pipe is cast iron that T's to my two sending units, and both of mine work just fine.

Can you swap your water temp sender out for your tranny or oil temp? They should both have the same resistance values...

Thursday, July 21, 2005 4:59 PM
well aparently they take a realy long time to start working the first time? i drove around for like half an hour, get home still thought it wasn't working, then i noticed the oil temp one was juuuuust barly above zero so i keept driving until they both warmed up, seems to be working fine now tho they just took forever to start moving.

Thursday, July 21, 2005 5:05 PM
^ Mine is like that too, 120 is bottom of the scale on my oil temp sensor, and I've never seen it go much over that, not even the width of the needle.

Thursday, July 21, 2005 6:06 PM
oil temps take a long time to heat up whe its cold

Thursday, July 21, 2005 8:44 PM
Trannies do too, especially when highway driving, city driving it goes up pretty quick, but on the highway there is a lot more air going over the tranny cooler so it takes much longer to go up.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search