After Internal Build - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
After Internal Build
Tuesday, July 19, 2005 9:39 AM
I have a goal of 500 WHP. could i pull it off with a 01 2.2L Im gonna build to internals to non beleif and run lots of boost from time to time. What do you guys think?

Re: After Internal Build
Tuesday, July 19, 2005 9:44 AM
Honestly I don't think it can be done, but I'd like to see somebody prove me wrong.

If anybody does, it'll be Lowfire...

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 9:46 AM
Quote:

If anybody does, it'll be Lowfire...

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 12:00 PM
I just dont see how it couldnt be. If you can take a SOHC D16Z6 Honda motor. Build the @!#$ out of it internal wise and and boost the crap out of it. I sitll think it can be done and im going at it. For those that dont think its possible what are some of the highest J-body HP numbers you're seen??
Tuesday, July 19, 2005 12:30 PM
Honestly...there is more research into Honda motors and people know what to do to make extreme amounts of power out of such a stock weak motor.

Here we couldn't tell you how to make an 2.2 OHV run 500 HP cause basically...I don't it's ever been done. The design of the OHV is very restrictive and there is so much you have to do to make alot of power out of it. Ask how many people here who are running boost on their OHV and see what times they are running.

Basically, the amount of money, time & research you are doing into making 500 HP out of that motor, I think you'll come up very short and have way too many problems. You have to remember, Hondas have aftermarket support...Js barely do and the 2.2 OHVs have VERY little support. Even if you did work the motor & boost the hell out of it, your going to have so many issues with the computer it's not even funny.

A 500 HP FWD street car is a bit extreme. If your trying to build a drag car...that's different but even so, I don't think it can be done. Even 300 whp sounds pushy to me.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 12:53 PM
Well I've had my share of OHV motors from GM and tried to work one, didn't go all out on it. Is a 500 HP OHV possible, I honestly think it is. But the problem is you would have to be extremely engine savey to get that far. You will have to machine most of the parts yourself, and then after you finish that will have to spend tons of time tuning the fuel mapping in the computer so it knows how to handle all this boost you are adding. I think realistically you could build a 200 hp boost ready OHV, only because I know of one that is almost at 150 hp and there are still plenty of things he hasn't done yet. Then adding another 300 HP of boost though could be pushing it with that block and head. But I'm not saying you can't do it just saying it will take a lot of time and money as does everything. Hell my goal is 300 hp with an ECOTEC and keeping it streetable, but even that is a far cry in my opinion.

I tell you want though if you reach 500 HP and you can show numbers more power to you for you will gain much respect from other cavalier owners. (they'll also probably bug you to find out how you did it )

Asta La Vista OHV!! Defined Parts
Tuesday, July 19, 2005 12:54 PM
...I second njhondakilla. why in the world would anyone want 500whp on a street car? itd be loud, unreliable, and would probably shake the chassis apart after driving it so much. I'd be happy as hell with 200 whp on my 2.2lohv, lol. I am planning an engine stock rebuild, a p&p head, a more aggressive cam, and a 50shot of nitrous...that should put me at about 180whp when i spray, or maybe close to. nice lil rocket.

..but yeah, if you are building it for drag, i wish ya luck. 1st person id contact is nelson hoyos or john lingerfelter on advice on how to build the motor.

...don't hate!.. respect people that have talent, even if it is in something you don't like or understand.
Wednesday, July 20, 2005 9:34 AM
Wow 500 hp is a lot. Realise that you would have to find axles that would support 500 hp, rebuild the whole tranny, get your gears cryogenized, get an HD stage 5-6 clutch, build a whole rolling cage and everything that would strenghten the chassis because i seriously doubt the stock chassis would take a 500 hp acceleration.
maybe someone else could tell what how much hp does it take to bend it.

LSD would also be a pretty good idea, so you get to go forward.

I`d suggest you ask gm on their website, find support.

And for the do-ability : I`ve seen 1400 whp cavys in fwd drag racing with stock block.

Good luck
Wednesday, July 20, 2005 9:39 AM
I can see 500 hp out of an Ecotec with one of Jeff from Import Builder's badass race blocks. However, not on an OHV. It's not going to happen. Start with a more realistic goal like 300 hp, and go from there.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Wednesday, July 20, 2005 9:41 AM
There are a few others than me that have the potential

JuicedZ4, Luc, and Adler

And of course only 2 out of the 4 of us are even running with boost right now

So it's anybodies guess

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search