2.6L Stroker for z24? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.6L Stroker for z24?
Thursday, July 14, 2005 10:29 AM
I can't remember where (of course i didnt bookmark it) but I saw a racing stroker kit for my 2000 z24 with the 2.4L. Does anyone know anything about this? I also thought I found some roller parts for the head but I can't find those either now. Thanks!

Re: 2.6L Stroker for z24?
Thursday, July 14, 2005 10:52 AM
The site doesn't exist anymore, but that kit was a pile of @!#$. Stroking the engine is probably the worst thing you can do, it destroys the motor. Also, if you found roller parts, well don't go order them. The 2.4 doesn't have roller rockers.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Thursday, July 14, 2005 11:00 AM
if you want to increase the size of ytour engine, just bore out your cylinders

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Thursday, July 14, 2005 11:27 AM
wut is the name of the site that sell complete motors
Thursday, July 14, 2005 11:41 AM
Mantapart has a stroker kit for the 2.4. i would like ot see a stroker 2.4 N/A.

FU Tuning

Thursday, July 14, 2005 11:41 AM
Thursday, July 14, 2005 11:48 AM
TRS

The best way to get to 2.6 is going with a 2.3 block. If you use the 2.4 block, you have to stroke it too much. If you go with a 2.3 block and a 2.4 crank, you can get 2.6 easily and rev higher than a 2.4

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Thursday, July 14, 2005 12:03 PM
Shifted wrote: Stroking the engine is probably the worst thing you can do, it destroys the motor.

that is the most unimformed amount of B.S. ive ever seen you say

that is like saying the 2.2 is a crappy motor cause its a stroked 2.0

or that the 2.2 eco is crap cause its a stroked 2.0 saab motor

or the 454 is garbage cause its a stroked 427 , or a stroked and bored 396

Thursday, July 14, 2005 2:36 PM
^ They were designed to be stroked versions of those engines. The "stroker" kits for the 2.4 were nothing but offset ground cranks that caused the pistons to wobble in the cylinders, ovaling them out. DragEvolution2200 was a hack of a company with those stroker kits and had absolutely nothing but problems with them.

Yes, if the engine/stroker kit is DESIGNED to do that, it works absolutely great (aka destroked 2.0, 2.2, 2.4 Eco, etc). GM put a LOT of engineering into those motors and it shows. The parts that DragEvo sold were junk and did destroy motors. There is no stroker kit out there (at all really) designed to the levels GM puts into thier stroked engines for the 2.4 or 2.2 OHV. So yes, stroking the 2.4, or 2.2 OHV is the worst thing you can do to it. There is nothing that was designed and proven for either of those engines that didn't damage them in the long run.

Thursday, July 14, 2005 3:02 PM
dragevo was 1 company

and i know alot of V8's that have been offset grind to increase the stroke , and never have any problems

alot of it is in the prep work

and alot of the motors out there were never intended to be stroked out larger , but its happened , and alot of them have made alot better motors

the 396 was the first of the mark 4 big blocks , gm bored it out to make it a 427 , and stroked the 427 to make it a 454 , they were all after thoughts

just like the 2.4 is a after thought of the 2.3 , the 2.2 is a after though of the 2.0 , and the 2.2 eco is a before and after thought of the 2.0

just because 1 company went about something that wasnt a successfull way for them doesnt mean it was wrong or not worth doing

Thursday, July 14, 2005 3:05 PM
whats the fumula for cylinder volume? if u bore .040 over what will the displacement be?
and will it over head cause less liner between the water jackets?
Nick
just seeing how smart u r

Thursday, July 14, 2005 3:25 PM
Calculator

Just fill in the info. Don't try to fill the compression ratio and volume field.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Thursday, July 14, 2005 4:44 PM
Eric-

Thats right, but as I was trying to say before (but not clearly enough), we are talking about the 2.2 and 2.4 engines, not those other ones. I completely understand there are completely safe and workable stroker kits, for other motors. For our motor (2.4 and 2.2 OHV), there is not anything even close. I wasn't talking about the 327, 2.0 Eco, 2.2 Eco, 2.4 Eco, 427, 351, etc... Admittingly those engines are not my forte, but fortunately for me, this is a site about the 4 cylinder, and this thread centers around the 2.4, which was what I was originally addressing.

Thursday, July 14, 2005 6:49 PM
The 2.6 "stroker" is a 2.3 block with a 2.4 crank. That makes it 2.5 L, then its bored to 2.6. The overbore is huge. 0.120" if I remember, it makes the cylinders walls way to thin.

]
Thursday, July 14, 2005 8:32 PM
Quote:

then its bored to 2.6. The overbore is huge. 0.120" if I remember, it makes the cylinders walls way to thin.

take it from someone who HAS the stroker ( just not in the car....YET ) the bore on mine is .030 over with the twin cam crank..and if your planning on going this direction i HIGHLY recommend www.the-race-shop.com josh is great to work with and reall knows his stuff when i get the engine in ill be quick to have it dynoed so you guys can see the numbers ...but if you go the way i did you could get his stroker kit for probablly less then a turbo kit.

Go ahead and see just how powerless you are. .... ROGER THAT!

Friday, July 15, 2005 8:14 AM
Thank you for your help guys. I think that i'm still interested in looking at possibilities however. Boring and stroking seem about as logical to me as a turbo/supercharger. Thanks again!
Saturday, July 16, 2005 3:18 AM
scott trent wrote:...but if you go the way i did you could get his stroker kit for probablly less then a turbo kit.

but are you going to get the same kind of power gains from a stroker kit that you could get from a turbo kit? horserpower / dollar gain say from your stroker project to say... 8 psi?

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Saturday, July 16, 2005 3:33 AM
He could still add a supercharger or a turbo, that would be badass.

09 HHR LS, Wife's Car
05 Cavalier, Clarion DXZ375MP, Autotek MM8000.5 & 13Kv.2, wife's old car, updates coming soon
Saturday, July 16, 2005 4:15 AM
stock 2.4/2.3 with 8psi will run around 230 Hp.

The stroke put out 210hp with the Ho cam and Ho manifold. Scott will go with W41 cams. If you use the stroker with the header, P&P head, Comp cam cams, custom Mantapart chip, +-2 degres cam gear, ..., it will be over 230. All taht depend on witch compression he goes with.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 10:40 AM
wow 2.6L stroker with some crazy camz two stage twin turbo etc. now thats a hella fast car if it dont blow up.
Wednesday, July 12, 2006 1:01 PM
Hey guys.... Ill be te first to admit I dont know much about these little 4 bangers yet... BUT.. I do know a little about V8s. I have a 383 in my Silverado in the driveway and I havent had a bit of problems out of the stroking. Yes its true that stroking an engine DOES increase cylinder wear on the sides beacause of the added stroke, but not to a point that youll only get a few months out of the engine. I dont intend to get 200,000 miles out of this engine anyway... and if any of yall that are boosting and spraying and do all the mods yall have done expect to get that... your sadly mistaken. Not only that,,, but how many of yall think your gonna go that many miles without going back into your motors for another mod?? As long as you get the kit from a reputable company, spend the money for a good balance job, and DO YOUR RESEARCH on the build... I dont see a problem out of stroking these little motors. In my stroker, I have Eagle crank and rods, Keith Black pistons,,, and almost 2k in block work (short block alone) and balancing. Im hoping I get 50k out of this motor,, but wont be surprised if I dont,,,,,,,,,, ohhhhh but what fun its gonna be getting there.

I plan on living forever... so far so good

Thursday, July 13, 2006 12:29 PM
realize on the sbc you have alot more mteal to work with as far as cylander walls, bearings, ect. also, the sbc has been around since 1955 so we know alot more about that motor and there are hundreds of companies that have extensive experience boring, stroking, then racing those motors.

compared to the sbc and bbc stroking a q4 or twin cam is relativly uncharted territory

------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------
when you beat someone in a civic people wine and make excuses
when you beat someone in a cavalier they pull over and check under thier hoods
Saturday, July 15, 2006 3:36 AM
I would love to hear from someone that actually has mantaparts 2.5L "quad hybrid supercharged", if that is what you are all thinking of. It's been on their site for months, but no prices are listed. With the Tec3 system, I bet they want like 10k for it.
Saturday, July 15, 2006 5:13 AM
Quote:

It's been on their site for months, but no prices are listed. With the Tec3 system,

ACTUALLY..they want 9,000 + i had the price quote on it once..thats with EVERYthing..and they said if you drove your car there they would install for 1,000 more.....pretty expensive...thats why i went with TRS's 2.6 stroker , it was much cheaper

Sunday, July 16, 2006 4:11 PM
TRS do they got a site?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search