Oil Coolers? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Oil Coolers?
Friday, June 10, 2005 3:47 PM
I was just looking on some input about oil coolers. are they worth it, whats the pros, cons stuff like that. Would it accually help the engine run cooler?
any input is greatly appresiated
thank you

Re: Oil Coolers?
Friday, June 10, 2005 3:49 PM
Engine oil not only serves as a lubricant for moving parts, but as a coolant for the crankshaft, rods and pistons. The bottom end of the engine relies soleyon the engine oil for cooling. For this reason, maintaining the correct oil temperature is critical to the engine's performance and longevity. Because the latest generations of engines are smaller, run at higher RPM's and produce more heat, maintaining the correct oil temperature is imperative.

“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true."
Friday, June 10, 2005 7:34 PM
Nick oil coolers could be useful if you are planing to gain some serious HP from your engine or if you use your car for racing too. Any other way our stock engines doesn't need oil coolers, if you do the right scheduled maintenance. Maybe an oil filter dissipator could help too.

If you want to use an oil cooler let me suggest you look for some aluminium plate and fin or stacked plate oil coolers matched with thermostat sandwich adapters (generally are fully open at 180ºF). Tube and fin ones are not efficient and offers some restrictions to stock oil system. Summit Racing (code DER-15502) sells an small 13x3x2 10 rows stacked plate Setrab oil cooler kit but highly efficient, Derale oil cooler that can be a good deal. For serious engine add-ons you would need to make a custom kit.

I hope this info help you.

Regards,

ELIOT. Now.....boosted.

Friday, June 10, 2005 7:51 PM
LOL did i catch a quote from the rksport catalog? anyhow, check my post a few pages back on this, hopefully it can be of some help since theres more responses to the same question on it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search