fuel economy and mods - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
fuel economy and mods
Friday, June 10, 2005 1:44 PM
I'm getting around 20mpg on my 2001 Cavalier 2.4 Auto 4 spd. I did a search about mods and how they relate to fuel economy but I couldn't find an acceptable answer. If I change my intake (either remove the bong or put in a cone filter) it will make my engine breathe easier so in theory the air will be getting in easier and I can go a little easier on the gas, therefore increasing gas mileage. And the exhaust mods will help remove the exhaust more effeciently and quickly. Is this true?

Re: fuel economy and mods
Friday, June 10, 2005 1:47 PM
Yes anything you do to help your engine breathe easier should help you achieve better gas mileage.

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Friday, June 10, 2005 2:12 PM
Well here is something you need to understand, that alot of people here just dont.

If you replace your intake with an aftermarket one, YOU will get better mileage and some more power. Not much, about 5 hp, if that.

HOWEVER here is the important part.

And aftermarket intake makes Noise. The noise really is dependant on other mods, Shape of intake and especially filter. When you hear the noise you intake makes, YOu may want to hear it all the time, However your gas mileage will then drop. It will drop because you will put your foot on the peddle more just to hear the sound.

If you hear your intake growl, you are wasting fuel. Simple as that.

“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true."
Friday, June 10, 2005 3:36 PM
20 mpg? damn. I tough I had bad gas mileage because I had between 28-32mpg(02 4 doors Z24). You must have a lead foot so any mod will probably won't make your mileage worst since it's already so bad.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Friday, June 10, 2005 3:43 PM
A Supercharger will make your MPG drop.

Friday, June 10, 2005 6:13 PM
I don't have a lead foot (well sometimes ) For the test I got around 19-20mpg and I was driving keeping my RPM's below 3000 99% of the tank.
Friday, June 10, 2005 8:45 PM
A.15 wrote:A Supercharger will make your MPG drop.

True...I'll know that in real life soon

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Friday, June 10, 2005 11:26 PM
seafoam it.

see ya!

Friday, June 10, 2005 11:44 PM
Jacob B wrote:I don't have a lead foot (well sometimes ) For the test I got around 19-20mpg and I was driving keeping my RPM's below 3000 99% of the tank.

run some seafoam through your gas tank and that'll do a lot for you. you can also clean your throttle body out, replace dirty air filters, etc.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Saturday, June 11, 2005 3:26 AM

ahah tell me about it... before the supercharger i got about 550km's on a tank of gas on average.. some times more some times a bit less... now since the GM s/c, i get about 450km's and that is taking it as easy as i can and rarely getting into boost... most of the time i only get 370-400km's for a tank of gas... (this is all in city driving.. have not been out on the high way to test it yet)

Saturday, June 11, 2005 8:48 AM
Freebs wrote:

ahah tell me about it... before the supercharger i got about 550km's on a tank of gas on average.. some times more some times a bit less... now since the GM s/c, i get about 450km's and that is taking it as easy as i can and rarely getting into boost... most of the time i only get 370-400km's for a tank of gas... (this is all in city driving.. have not been out on the high way to test it yet)

you will do better on the highway as long as you aren't always in boost.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.

Saturday, June 11, 2005 12:01 PM
i'm not interested in supercharging the car (don't have the money) but as you can see Mfk-223 gets 28-32mpg on his Z24 Sedan 2.4L Auto. So my car is definitley capable of that.

I know that if I mod the exhaust or the intake i'm gonna run into the fact that I will like the noise it gives out at higher RPMs. Its tempting but I have strong will power so i'll be able to overcome that.

If I can up my mpg to what mfk-223 has stock, I might do some mods to help my mpg even more anyways.
Saturday, June 11, 2005 12:14 PM
1 mod that should help is the exhaust. You can do the exhaust first then see. Mine is stock since I got it 3 weeks ago. 28-32 mpg is for city. I havent done any highway yet.

I get 28mpg in town with the Ac on almost all the time. I even do 4-5 run of 0-60 on each tank and I still get good mileage.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Saturday, June 11, 2005 12:45 PM
damn you and you got a Z24 sedan how good is that, lol... sorry i'm just frustrated. I want a Z24 sedan (the best of both worlds, easy access, sporty appearence). I'm thinking its something to do with my sparkplugs, I think I may be running rich because my tailpipe is covered in black soot powder.
Saturday, June 11, 2005 12:54 PM
yeah a tune up can help alot. Mine has 75 000km on it and I'm thinking about a tune up.

The inside of the tip is black like any other car but there's not alot.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Saturday, June 11, 2005 5:23 PM
You definately need a tune up!
Change your filters and plugs. Maybe wires too. That would be your best start, is to make sure that your car is running properly and well-tuned. That will be your best bet. If you wanted to put on a intake instead of just changing your air filter, then even better. An exhaust system would also be good.

But for the price of a intake and exhaust, you could buy quite alot of gas.

Saturday, June 11, 2005 6:52 PM
srry guys, but when my 98 4 door cav was stock, i was gettin 35-38 mpg.......driving no more than 5 over speed limit.... most of the time..... now i get like 28-32 mpg....with intake, exhaust and body kit with larger throttle body and hod scoop(and yes, hood scoop makes a diff....trust me)
Saturday, June 11, 2005 6:55 PM
mfk: You have 75,000 km on the car, but tell us you get 28-32 mpg.
You are in quebec, so the speedometer would be in km. So you would have to translate the km to miles.

Here's some coversion #'s:
Miles Kilometers
1.00 1.61
10.00 16.09
20.00 32.19
30.00 48.28
40.00 64.37

We get about 24 mpg on the 2200 auto. Driving very conservativly (Hey it's a 2200)
The 5spd eco gets 31 mpg

My Car
Saturday, June 11, 2005 7:35 PM
Even if I'm Quebec, I still do the conversion to go with mpg. They list the car with MPG over here.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Saturday, June 11, 2005 9:20 PM
i work at a dealership doing mechanic work and one of the techs there told me he put one of those cheap ass "chips" they sell on ebay. told me he was gettin around 10mpg. i found it hard to believe but he said it just overloads your fuel injectors, on the other hand said he did notice a power increase.

"Youre lucky that 100 shot of nos didnt blow the welds on your intake"
-Vin Diesel
Sunday, June 12, 2005 4:38 AM
GearJammin wrote:i work at a dealership doing mechanic work and one of the techs there told me he put one of those cheap ass "chips" they sell on ebay. told me he was gettin around 10mpg. i found it hard to believe but he said it just overloads your fuel injectors, on the other hand said he did notice a power increase.

That power he gained is in his head...

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, June 12, 2005 3:26 PM
Ok well it seems that I have to do the tune up soon and then i'll see what happens after that i'm doing mods to help it even more.
Sunday, June 12, 2005 4:41 PM
How much does a bored-out throttle body affect fuel efficiency, relative to intake and exhaust?
Sunday, June 12, 2005 6:33 PM
I actulaly get about the same gas mileage with the supercharger, gotta love the centrifugal if you want better gas mileage get an MSD

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Sunday, June 12, 2005 7:10 PM
whats an MSD?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search