rattling valves ? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
rattling valves ?
Sunday, April 24, 2005 5:17 PM
Hey guys i have a 97 z24 stock engine. i was hearing a clicking sound comming from my engine so i took it to the chevy dealer and they said that its normal its just the valves rattling. Hmmm i dont think thats normal. any suggestions ? would better valve springs help or what ? thanx

Nate

http://myspace-965.vo.llnwd.net/00239/56/92/239612965_l.jpg

Re: rattling valves ?
Monday, April 25, 2005 8:09 AM
all GM's have a lifter click. it's just part of American quality

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Monday, April 25, 2005 8:52 AM
I like my theory on this... If it didn't come off the showroom floor/lot with it like that, it shouldn't be doing it.

Monday, April 25, 2005 11:46 AM
^ agreed

could be the lifters, rocker arms or springs...

pull the valve cover and check the rockers.

Check Out my Car Domain Page

Monday, April 25, 2005 3:47 PM
my 92 prelude does that too. the mechanic at the used car lot i work for said it sounds like the lifters are tapping, but that a lot of cars (especially honda motors) start to do that and its no big deal. i would still check it out tho.
Monday, April 25, 2005 6:36 PM
I had the same problem with my car it ended up being the cam followers or lifters which ever you prefer there hydrolic and thye can seize
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 9:20 AM
yeah, that noise uyr hearing is just your valves, there is probly some build up of some sort there, and what ur hearing is the 1/4 sec of sticking thats goin on, first go spend 10 bucks on a valve cleaner additive, if that doesn't work, get them cleaned, i had the same prob with my 98' 2.4L sunfire, just stuck a bottle of "kleen-flow" valves and lifters treatment, cured it with an hour, has not come back since.......good luck
Wednesday, April 27, 2005 4:57 PM
sweet. ill try that and let you guys know how it goes thanx alot

Nate

http://myspace-965.vo.llnwd.net/00239/56/92/239612965_l.jpg
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search