to much air??? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
to much air???
Sunday, April 03, 2005 1:18 PM
just picked up my car this past fri... and its doesn't run right at all...

my brother says that because i have a 3-3.5" intake pipe with a 5" air filter on it and full exhuast thats 2.5" piping all the way from the header and splits into dual exhuast..... that i most likely have to much air coming in and not enough back pressure...

when its sitting still idling you think the car is gonna fall apart it shakes so bad and its runnin like 400 rpm's, and his sunfire runs around 1000-1200

any ideas, fuel pressure regulator to boost fuel help???

Re: to much air???
Sunday, April 03, 2005 1:51 PM
It's not the intake nor the exhaust.

fill up your registry and what car/engine you have, transmission you have and we'll be able to help you more. Auto and manual tranny don't have the same idle. Did you put mounts or anything? any codes?

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Sunday, April 03, 2005 4:08 PM
describe how it doesn't run right...

I have like basically the same set up that u have and mine runs and drives fine.
Sunday, April 03, 2005 5:42 PM
well when i came home yesturday it was idling at 400 rpm's shaking really really bad, sounded like it was gonna die almost, and the temp was way up, like aaround 200 degrees.....

just started it up tonight and it was runnin at like 1,000 rpm's and yes its an auto...
today it is considerably colder than fri night though i dont know if that matters....
Sunday, April 03, 2005 8:25 PM
200 degrees sound about right, atleast thats what mine runs at normally. 900 rpms idle for a manual and i have mounts, no vibration at all. maybe you have a broken motor mount thats causing it to idle rough, dont know if that would cause it to idle so low though.

2000 Camaro V6.
| SLP Loudmouth | CAI Intake | HID's |

Sunday, April 03, 2005 8:30 PM
what should our cars idle at? Mine is an auto eco and it idles at 500.
Sunday, April 03, 2005 8:59 PM
autos will idle lower than manuals, not too sure if thats right, but to me it sounds good.

2000 Camaro V6.
| SLP Loudmouth | CAI Intake | HID's |

Sunday, April 03, 2005 9:05 PM
yes an auto should be right about 500-650 or so

04 sunfire auto, mid 15's n/a, and still going
Sunday, April 03, 2005 9:13 PM
You intake and exhaust are just fine as stated above. 200 degrees is EXACTLY where you should be with a stock vehicle. Idle sounds a little low but the shaking could mean one of sever things, the most likely are listed

1)Previous owner installed aftermarket motor mounts.
2) You have a broken motor mount
3) You possilbly have a vacuum leak after the air sensor
Monday, April 04, 2005 12:51 PM
could be you converter is clogged that is what happend to me then we punched it out and know i have to get a new converter because their isn't enough back pressure. just something to check

Fast isn't always good, looks and sound is sometimes better

Imamarine
Monday, April 04, 2005 5:16 PM
ok guys this is his brother... after doing extensive testing and such. i found two problems so far thats making this thin run so horribly.

i went to drive it today and it had like no throttle responce. come to find out the aftermarket spark plug wires were too close to each other plus the plugs are fried, i will keep you guys informed though.

Monday, April 04, 2005 8:47 PM
don't let them wind around eachother^^^^^^^^ they will inducee current into different wires that way. There is no way that 400 RPM idle could be caused by exhaust and intake. Many people here have run their car's to the exhaust shop with an open header and a lot have raced with nothing mounted to the throttle body. Besides for that, it should cause a high idle if anything. Check the EGR valve and PCV valve. Both of those can cuase a low idle. If you don't know how to test them, somebody else should be looking at the car for you. If it is available, hook the car up to a good scan tool like a genesis and check out what all of the sensors are saying... There are way too many things that could cause a low idle to jump into assumptions. ANY CAR WILL SHAKE IDLING THAT LOW. My auto idles at around 800-900. 400 is too low for any J-body. The flywhees and TCs/flex plates aren't heavy enough for that.
If the plugs are fried...... please tell how they are fried. That could mean lots of different things ranging from rich to lean to predetonating.

Cardomain|Myspace

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 5:31 PM
ok thye plugs were fried in being that the electrode was so small and burnt up that it was filed down to a needle point and sticking off the plug like 1/32"

just put new plugs in tonight and its runnin at like 700 rpms and not much better and still shaking really bad. im thinkin its a bigger problem like a possibly un balanced pressure plate or broken mount somewheres. i did see up graded bushings on the a-arms and tie rods but didn't look llike new mounts at all.....

i dont know if this matters or not but the exhaust has no flex plate anymore and if it doesn'
t have upgraded mounts could that do it????

sorry for such a long post just tryin to fix this $%^& problem!!!

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 6:39 PM
IAC mabye?
is it staying consistantly at a certain rpm or bobbling
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search