Motor Mounts - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Motor Mounts
Saturday, April 02, 2005 3:08 PM
OK, I am looking at buying the upper/lower motor mount set from car customs because it's basically the only performance type upgrade that I don't have yet that is bolt-on. So, do they really make your car vibrate horribly like everyone says? I know in my eclipse they vibrated very badly and it got annoying. Would this be the case with the cavalier mounts? Every car is different so I figured it was worth a shot asking you all first.............

I'll have a sig someday....................

Re: Motor Mounts
Saturday, April 02, 2005 3:17 PM
yes at first the vibrations are very bad, some people just choose to get used to them, others, take the time to get rid of them. Just buy some dynamat and find the spots on the dash where the vibrations are coming from and apply. I found that alot of the vibrations came from the large plastic piece towards the closest part of the windshield, and also a metal bar towards the left under the dash. But now that I did that all of the vibrations are gone.

Saturday, April 02, 2005 3:50 PM
Nice idea with the dynamat. I have a ton left over fro a stereo install that I could use. Could you possibly send me pics of the bar and where to put the stuff?

Saturday, April 02, 2005 7:19 PM
just wrote this in another post:

top mount makes your dash hop up and down and doesn't really do anything performance-wise... the bottom mount holds the engine more firmly and causes almost zero vibration. right now i have just the lower, and i like it the best of the 3 possible combinations (top only, bottom only, or both)

Saturday, April 02, 2005 8:56 PM
Brown eye wrote:just wrote this in another post:

top mount makes your dash hop up and down and doesn't really do anything performance-wise... the bottom mount holds the engine more firmly and causes almost zero vibration. right now i have just the lower, and i like it the best of the 3 possible combinations (top only, bottom only, or both)

My motor had a different reaction. The lower mount made all of the vibes, and i noticed a small difference. The upper mount did my my dash bounce, but i still noticed a little more to the wheels from a stop (they free up some torque).

If you think the vibes from motor mounts is bad, i hope you dont seriously do any more perofrmance mods, because when you change things like cams, its going to be a lot rougher than these motor mounts.
Tuesday, April 12, 2005 7:59 PM
well different mounts have different durometers(this is the hardness of the bushing itself) so the harder the mount...the more it would vibrate

Wednesday, April 13, 2005 8:15 AM
I just installed both upper and lower... god damn the vibs are bad. Especially when in drive and and i turn the wheel no moving. You can feel the engine just drop in power. but i don't mind. They will break in over time and not be soo harsh, or i might be doing on Ignition upgrades.

Wednesday, April 13, 2005 9:27 AM
yeah
i wouldnt use the a/c while breaking in the bushings

Wednesday, April 13, 2005 9:35 AM
Weird because I added the new prothane lower mount to my 03 and I get just about zero negative effects. I like it so much I'm replacing my old RKS mount in my 99 with a new prothane one.

Wednesday, April 13, 2005 9:39 AM
The ones i bought from Rksport came in a Prothane box.... LOL... Might want to looke a little further into that one.

Wednesday, April 13, 2005 9:50 AM
My orginal RKS one has red bushings and my new prothane has black bushings. I'm assuming the newer ones have a lower durometer.

Wednesday, April 13, 2005 9:58 AM
rksprt

ahh
www.carcustoms.net

Wednesday, April 13, 2005 10:09 AM
Ive got the old Rk Sport lower mount with Marp Pains bushings and its still realy harsh to me, im gonna remove the upper and see the affects.

Wednesday, April 13, 2005 1:25 PM
i have those in my 97 .......very little vibrations, pretty much at low rpm's
Wednesday, April 13, 2005 3:08 PM
OK, I have been hearing a lot about buying these mounts if you have a header. Is this supposed to keep the pipes from cracking? Not sure, but I have driven with my header for almost a year now with no problems..........

Wednesday, April 13, 2005 3:12 PM
It's not necc just because you have a header. That's meant more towards if you have a header and DON'T have a flex joint on it. While flex joints should be on any exhaust, they are less needed if you have the motor mounts. With the mounts you will have very little engine movent under accell/decleration.

Wednesday, April 13, 2005 11:41 PM
Ok time to tell me im a fool....

I went out and removed my upper insert leaving the lower rk mount in. I found that the engine had plenty of movement forward and back (about the same as just having the upper and no lower) with no vibration at all! but i can tell no diff in the performance?! so is it pointless for me to even have the lower mount? what I mean to ask is, Do they only preform well as a set, or will performance be better with the lower than the upper or visa versa?

Thursday, April 14, 2005 12:11 AM
i dont know
i dont have an insert i have an entire upper mount

Thursday, April 14, 2005 12:29 AM
im not happy with the lower at all... guess im a p*ssy
but then again performance is not my main goal so I guess it was pointless to install it, but hey it cost me next to nothing.

Friday, April 22, 2005 9:35 PM
Does anyone know the torque specs on the 2 bolts for the lower mount? Thanks for the help.

My Geocities Site
Saturday, April 23, 2005 12:32 AM
KevJam wrote:Does anyone know the torque specs on the 2 bolts for the lower mount? Thanks for the help.

As tight as you can get it w a 1/2" drive socket wrench

Saturday, April 23, 2005 9:25 AM
theL61, So your whole upper mount is poly? Is there a place to get that, or did u get it custom?
Saturday, April 23, 2005 3:46 PM
Make them yourself. Filled my voids on the stock mounts with epoxy from crapy tire. Worked really good. No more engine rock.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search