Upper Motor Mount (A biatch) I need help... - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Upper Motor Mount (A biatch) I need help...
Saturday, April 02, 2005 12:58 PM
I know the install is fairly easy, but however it is not easy if you cannot get the bolts out! I've been using 1/2 socket to get the mount out but it is screw in so tightly that its breaking my sockets... does anyone have an idea to loosen these things up?

Re: Upper Motor Mount (A biatch) I need help...
Saturday, April 02, 2005 1:14 PM
PB penetrator or astrolube, and turn the proper way, and dont buy cheap sockets.

“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely
true.

Cannon fodder is my daddy.
Saturday, April 02, 2005 1:43 PM
I had the same problem a while back man. The bolts though were crossed threaded and had to be drilled out. Good luck though.
Saturday, April 02, 2005 2:11 PM
yea, i bought brand new 1/2 sockets and lubricant n these suckers still wont come out! Am i going to have to have a shop do this or what?
Saturday, April 02, 2005 3:00 PM
Buy a craftsman socket, then if you break it, just go get it exchanged.

Get a long ratchet (3 feet long if possible), a deep socket (Craftsman of course) then close your hood so the hood rests on the top of the ratchet.

Have the handle of the ratchet pointing towards the passenger side, then call up your friend with a lifted truck (and one of those thick bull bar things) and have him drive by at 15 mph......

It should break it loose.

Saturday, April 02, 2005 3:11 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^LOL

Saturday, April 02, 2005 3:35 PM
gah, just get the breaker bar and stop being a wussie

Saturday, April 02, 2005 5:01 PM
just to throw this out there, but I do belive thats a metric bolt, might be the reason its not working so good for ya.

Saturday, April 02, 2005 6:02 PM
Cinny---I think he meant he was using a 1/2" drive ratchet/socket.

Tredici---Do you have the engine supported with a jack underneath. Taking the strain off the bolts makes life a lot easier. Jack up the jack (with a piece of wood on it) up to the bottom of the engine, then go about a half pump more.

Also, leverage is the key---use a piece of pipe on the ratchet handle to lengthen it, and start pushing.

Saturday, April 02, 2005 6:54 PM
i was hoping so..but you never know...

if you use the bracket that is right beside the bottom motor mount it makes it easy if your having trouble getting the insert in then, 1 use some dish soap, and two give the jack another pump the only thing is be sure that the car or the motor doesn't move too much or you will have fun get the bolts back in .

Saturday, April 02, 2005 7:06 PM
If your breaking sockets use impact sockets on a breaker bar.

Tim

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
"Hey man is that a Cavalier?" "Yeah." What you got in it?" "It's stock." "Oh."
Dimebag
Darrell
Abbott
R.I.P
8/20/66
12/8/04

Saturday, April 02, 2005 7:13 PM
DON'T BE A BITCH!!!

jk, when i did it the first time i had to really crank before i got them broken loose. it's tough, because the motor moves whenever you try to wrench on the bolts.

and later on, if you think it's hard getting the insert to slide in, don't ever try to take the top mount back out... it's 5 times worse. the lower mount, on the other hand, is cake. hell, i just re-installed my poly lower mount on thursday without even jacking up the car or taking off the wheel. plus, the top mount makes your dash hop up and down and doesn't really do anything... the bottom mount holds the engine more firmly and causes almost zero vibration.

thats my motor mount info for the day

Saturday, April 02, 2005 9:43 PM
ya the key is jacking it up to support it put the car on jackstands then jack up the engine with a 2x4 between the jack and engine, when u use the wrench use something to lengthen it, like a pipe so its atleast another foot long, just crank on that and it should be much easier. I actually learned something in physics and statics about torque, when you put it in, you will have to probably move the engine with your hands cause it will rock a little bit, but its fairly easy to rock it back.

Saturday, April 02, 2005 9:59 PM
just use the ratchet and put like a pole on the end of the ratchet and try that. more torque is your friend.....find away to get any kind of extension on the ratchet and try it. there isnt a bolt i cant move on my eco and i'm a small little white kid

MY 2003 SUNFIRE
Sunday, April 03, 2005 12:20 AM
air tools

Sunday, April 03, 2005 3:10 PM
impact. I dont know why you havent done that already. Mine was the exact same way. I just took think impact wrench to it and came off super easily.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search