intake... explain this to me... - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
intake... explain this to me...
Friday, April 01, 2005 11:08 PM
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=277460&t=277460#277460

this guy dynoed his car without any intake and gained 7 whp ...

why the heck do people go thru the effort of using an intake, when we can slam a filter directly on to the TB, assuming it clears the hood, and gain the HP.

???

perhaps becasue we gotta put those sensors to use?

Re: intake... explain this to me...
Friday, April 01, 2005 11:48 PM
There are no filters for the 2200 engines that will fit directly on top, And having a longer intake is better then having no intake tract. BUT, there is an optimum length. And all engines are different, even ones from factory. One guy may get 7 hp, another 4 hp.

“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely
true.

Cannon fodder is my daddy.
Saturday, April 02, 2005 12:52 AM
Lawnmowerracer wrote:There are no filters for the 2200 engines that will fit directly on top, And having a longer intake is better then having no intake tract. BUT, there is an optimum length. And all engines are different, even ones from factory. One guy may get 7 hp, another 4 hp.

exactly... every engine is different. and belive it or not the bigger the filter you get the better it is (makes it seem to the engine that there is not filter there). the stock is so restrictive b/c it doesnt have smooth bends and it draws the air from over on the other side of the engine bay...

in reality if you could just plop a cone filter ontop it would work good, but its really something that has to be played with.

Saturday, April 02, 2005 6:45 AM
screw making it fit.....just cut a hole in your hood and slap a filter on the TB.....good to go

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Saturday, April 02, 2005 7:42 AM
mikec2003 ... do that... take some pics.... post them here.

Saturday, April 02, 2005 7:53 AM
good to go?

were did you get that from?
chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Saturday, April 02, 2005 8:08 AM
ok

that guy has an ecotec engine, not the OHV

the OHV has its throttle body located behind the engine near the firewall... if you slapped a filter on there, I don't think it would get fed air very well

The ecotec has the throttle body on the front of the engine, so it would be better fed by air that found its way thru the grille into the engine bay

also, since the ecotec gets to higher rpms, volume of air is more important for better horsepower... torque is usually tied to higher velocity of intake air, which is why when you put on a larger throttle body (say the RSM 62mm deal) you lose torque but gain hp becuase your increasing the incoming volume, but decreasing its velocity

so whereas this guy gained HP from removing the intake (allowing the engine to just suck in without a filter the ULTIMATE in less restrictive) he might have lost torque slightly, although the opening is the same diameter so it might have stayed the same.

Saturday, April 02, 2005 1:40 PM
TaetschZ24 wrote:good to go?

were did you get that from?
chris

Military

GTG

Saturday, April 02, 2005 2:57 PM
TheFlyingSquirrel (PJ) wrote:ok

that guy has an ecotec engine, not the OHV

the OHV has its throttle body located behind the engine near the firewall... if you slapped a filter on there, I don't think it would get fed air very well

The ecotec has the throttle body on the front of the engine, so it would be better fed by air that found its way thru the grille into the engine bay

also, since the ecotec gets to higher rpms, volume of air is more important for better horsepower... torque is usually tied to higher velocity of intake air, which is why when you put on a larger throttle body (say the RSM 62mm deal) you lose torque but gain hp becuase your increasing the incoming volume, but decreasing its velocity

so whereas this guy gained HP from removing the intake (allowing the engine to just suck in without a filter the ULTIMATE in less restrictive) he might have lost torque slightly, although the opening is the same diameter so it might have stayed the same.

Actually, he gained TQ and HP, lost NOTHING.

There's this myth on JBO that having a bigger TB "slows incoming" air, but you guys keep forgetting the INTAKE MANIFOLD DETERMINES THE VELOCITY.

I'm done.
Saturday, April 02, 2005 3:38 PM
, i figered that, what branch?
chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Sunday, April 03, 2005 8:39 AM
to go along with what mikec2003 said, i have seen someone cut a hole in there hood, and do things like that. not on a j-body, thank goodness, but i have seen it.

Sunday, April 03, 2005 9:18 AM
TaetschZ24.......army, air cavalry

and i would seriously not want someone to cut a hole and put a filter....that would look very stupid.....but hey, if someone wants to do that, and post pics...please do, it would be good for a laugh or two

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Sunday, April 03, 2005 10:40 AM
^^^ but you could do some sort of cowl induction. Cut the hole and make some sort of pan to seal it to the cowl hood, add vacuum plates and bam! cowl induction. you would also need some short of water baffle. I think it could be done put I'm not sure if it would be worth 4-7 HP, or a little more at speed. If you were doing it for "looks and the cool factor" I guess 4-7 would just be a extra perk. I'm talking 2.2 push rod by the way.

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Sunday, April 03, 2005 11:03 AM
It seems all of you didn't bother to read the linked post. He didn't run the car with a filter on the tb, he ran it open tb. That means NO filtration at all. This is a lot different from a filter sitting on the tb, both in terms of performance and engine safety.

Originally posted by MSD
I have an 03 5-speed Cavy, and when I race.. I shift at 6300-6500. That method (coupled with the fact that the guy probably couldn't drive for @!#$) allowed me to keep up with/have a slight lead on an 04 Mustang GT.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search