Intake Question - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Intake Question
Sunday, March 27, 2005 7:00 PM
Ok, this isnt a which intake is better post or anyting like that.

I have done some work to my ecotec. I have a Patriot performance stage II head and Stage I crane cams. For my intake im using an rk sport high flow ecotec intake. I'm not sure what the diameter of it is, but is this intake good enough to work with my motor. If not, then would a bigger one be more benefical. I think its like a 3" diameter is the best or something like that, but im not sure.

Also if i use a 62mm throttle body, would that kill my low end, or would i see a gain.

Re: Intake Question
Sunday, March 27, 2005 7:05 PM
62 mm is too much probaly. unless you plan on going for boost or nitrous
and i think all intakes are 3 inch

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, March 27, 2005 8:55 PM
If all intakes are 3 inches, i guess im good for now. I might use a smaller one.

About the throttle body, i thought a lot of ecotec guys used a 62mm. Will that just gain my top end then?
Sunday, March 27, 2005 8:56 PM
we need an edit button.
i mean an intake shorter in length for more low end
Sunday, March 27, 2005 10:36 PM
Well the 62mm tb wont do much of anything for u. At most u will notice it get the very slightest bit more responsive at higher end. As for a shorter intake, im pretty sure it will do nothing. Your best way to actually make an aftermarket intake bennifficial is a good filter like K&N, and try and make it suck in as colder air u can get. A shorter one will generally just suck in more engine heated air than anything and prob cost u some HP.
I wouldn't focus so much on an intake, its probably the smallest way to add power, people tend to think they do a lot more than they really do. Personally the only reason i got on is because it looks better in my engine bay.

Check Out My Domain Page!!!
Monday, March 28, 2005 11:10 AM
well, im not really looking for horsepower, i want a better low end, a shorter intake will cause the engine to not work as hard to get the air. For right now im sticking with my current one, i just want to make sure im getting the best ammount of air in my motor.

But is a 62mm an overkill? I guess ill just install it and see if it improves or not....
Monday, March 28, 2005 11:25 AM
as far as i know the 62mm throttle body meant to combo'd with a ported intake manifold, and then used with forced induction....but i could be wrong...........and as well air is compressable.....when its cold its dense, more power cause engine puts less effort into compressing the air in its chambers when its cold. when the air comes in hot its thin, thus having to be compressed more the get the same results as cool air. you though as far as i know your only lookin at a few hp, but everyone has their own opinion....i have a short ram from weapon r...it looks good too
Monday, March 28, 2005 3:59 PM
Quote:

a shorter intake will cause the engine to not work as hard to get the air.

True, but then ur trading off for hotter air. The 62mm tb can be considered overkill, like Kyle said most people get them for turbo or s/c motors. If ur looking to increase lower end power a big TB will not be the way to go. Get a 4-2-1 header rather than ur 4-1 for better lower end power.

Monday, March 28, 2005 5:32 PM
just break down and buy a nitrous kit

Monday, March 28, 2005 6:29 PM
red99cavie wrote:just break down and buy a nitrous kit

not yet, let me build up the motor, because if im going to use nitrous, im going all out with it.

Quote:

True, but then ur trading off for hotter air. The 62mm tb can be considered overkill, like Kyle said most people get them for turbo or s/c motors. If ur looking to increase lower end power a big TB will not be the way to go. Get a 4-2-1 header rather than ur 4-1 for better lower end power.

i see what your saying about the intake and the throttle body. I guess ill have to try out somethings and see what i like.
About the header, yeah, im going to buy a 4-2-1, the only reason i bought a 4-1 was because of the price. Dumb move. I feel torque a lot more, so thats the way i want to go.
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 5:56 PM
you guys were all wrong, i put a 62mm throttle body on today and felt a nice low end gain along with the top end. I think it works because i have a p&p with bigger valves i can take in more air. This was almost just what i wanted too. I want just a little more torque, so im going to get rid of my 4-1 header and buy a 4-2-1.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 10:22 PM
Quote:

have a p&p with bigger valves i can take in more air

Oh i didnt catch that u have that done. Yea then the tb will prob help ya out there. Crap u got all that nice flow why not slap a turbo or s/c on

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 10:48 PM
GreenFire wrote:
Quote:

a shorter intake will cause the engine to not work as hard to get the air.

uhm engine bay air isnt that much hotter than outside air once you are moving

shorter gives a quicker throttle response while longer gives a lil bit more tq

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 11:08 AM
GreenFire wrote:
Quote:

have a p&p with bigger valves i can take in more air

Oh i didnt catch that u have that done. Yea then the tb will prob help ya out there. Crap u got all that nice flow why not slap a turbo or s/c on

I might go boost later. First i have do my suspension. I want to save a little money too. But in a year or so i might boost it.
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 1:55 PM
Quote:

uhm engine bay air isnt that much hotter than outside air once you are moving

Im willing to be it hotter even while moving, cuz our engines stay around an average of 150 degrees. In any driving condition.

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 9:36 PM
our engines
but the air is always flowing
so it doesnt up the air temp that much

its hotter sure but not much

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search