Spun bearing.. what to do?! - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Spun bearing.. what to do?!
Monday, November 14, 2005 9:51 PM
Okay, so about a week ago my car (1998 pontiac sunfire 2.4 dohc automatic) developed a knock above 3000 rpms. I drove it home immediately and figured it was a rod bearing spun. Dropped the oil pan and sure enough the #3 rod bearing has spun.. I replaced all the bearings with new clevite bearings. After driving for about 100 miles it has developed a knock again at about 3000 still... My question is, would it be easier to have the crank turned and recondition the rods... or to just buy a new motor? what kind of motor might i swap in for more power? i've read things about the lgo in the 442 but im unsure if its a bolt in swap.. lastly where is the easiest place to find a used motor for this car??

Thanks!!
craig

Re: Spun bearing.. what to do?!
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 10:08 AM
nobody?
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 12:43 PM
I'd say just go to like Advance Auto and buy a crank kit. It will have a remanufactured crank and bearings already together in a box. As long as you didn't spin the rod bearings on top of one another your rods should be fine, just drop the pan and drop the old crank out and slam the new one in it. Oh if you can get hold of a dial caliper it would be a good idea to check the rods big end to make sure its still round and within spec.

Good luck and let me know if you need anything else.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Sunday, June 25, 2006 7:35 AM
to drop the old crank out, i would need to take the tranny off, and the timing chain housing off too right?

Sunday, June 25, 2006 7:42 AM
sounds about right, the crank's attached to stuff on both ends.

Sunday, June 25, 2006 10:55 AM
If replacing the crank i would suggest taking the motor completely out.

Sunday, June 25, 2006 12:27 PM
man.... the engine just got rebuilted.....
but the knoking noise is not that loud, when warm and in the car even with the glass rolled down, i cant ear it, even if i rev it. I think its only my pistons then, since they are forged and expend more with heat.
thanx

Sunday, June 25, 2006 1:48 PM
if theres any chance its spun DO NOT DRIVE IT!!!!!!! you will ruin a lot of stuff and waste a lot of money...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search