mmm..... backfires... - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
mmm..... backfires...
Thursday, July 14, 2005 10:02 AM
This has been happening since last fall. But back then when it occured it was like a phoenomon. I have noticed a nice decrease in my gas milage, i am only getting around 80-120MPG at 1/2 tank. Car idles fine, runs great, but when i get on the gas pedal and bring it up in the powerband 3,000-5,000 somewhere inbetween there out of know where it just backfires/missfires. This dosn't happen all the time, but has become more frequent. Atleast once a day now or more. I was talking to Josh (lego my eggo) and he suggested to check for a vaccume leak. I checked the FPR and the rubber hose was connected into that and into the TB and there was no sign's of a crack. Then the big hose off the back of the TB going into the fire wall, nothing wrong there. How many vaccume lines are there? But they all seem to be connected. To my knowledge ever since i've owned the car, the plugs have never been changed, but the wires were 2 winters ago when they went bad. I just hooked up my a/f gauge and it flutters nicely, so could i assume that means the O2 sensor is ok? I just really want to fix this problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: mmm..... backfires...
Thursday, July 14, 2005 11:40 AM
I had that happen to me when i changed my plugs for the bosch platinum fours. The plugs werent firing. check all your ignition equipment. Oh and if your getting 80-120mpg then i wish i had your car.

-Will Ong
Thursday, July 14, 2005 7:19 PM
^^ That what my milage is at when i get to around a half tank.... not MPG... This is really pissing me the @!#$ off.

Friday, July 15, 2005 4:03 PM
try a complete yune up - plugs and wires, sounds like one or the other is breaking down, which engine, year...?

don't mistake lack of talent for genius
Friday, July 15, 2005 8:33 PM
1999, 2200 OHV.... i bought some accel 8mm and new delco plugs tonight. Installing them tomorrow sometime.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search