dirty throttle body - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
dirty throttle body
Thursday, July 07, 2005 12:28 PM
I took my air intake off yesterday for various reasons and noticed my throttle body was extremely dirty, inside and out. Its all covered with a black oily soot. Could this be why my car has troubles accelerating and starting? What should I buy to clean it?

-------------------------------------------------
**Rare bent in door mod!**
**Awesome cracked windshield mod!**
http://www.cardomain.com/id/chasescavy

Re: dirty throttle body
Thursday, July 07, 2005 12:36 PM
mabey not starting but definently could give you bad accerlating.
go to parts store they have stuff called throttle body cleaner read directions.

Also there is air intake services that many car shops can perform on the car.
Thursday, July 07, 2005 12:40 PM
Just use a shop rag and claen it up. Some TB cleaners can be harmful to the engine.

Thursday, July 07, 2005 2:20 PM
ya it can be bad for the engine if you spray it in while the engine is running like i said follow the directions..........
you just spray it on and wipe it off then let dry.That will not hurt the engine.....
Thursday, July 07, 2005 6:31 PM
Sea Foam...it cleans everything...TB, manifold, ports, combustion chambers, etc. if your TB is dirty...the other parts past it will be too.

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Friday, July 08, 2005 8:17 AM
I'll agree. Seafoam is some awesome stuff.

If you've gotten far enough to look inside your throttle body, why not just take it off and clean it really good? Don't have to worry about getting any spray where you don't want to then. If you're that worried about it getting in your engine and you don't want to take the throttle body off, read the bottle of spray and make sure it says sensor safe and such. Also make sure it's throttle body cleaner and not carburetor cleaner.

I could see if the gunk is caught up in the IAC that it might be causing it to stick and possibly giving some start up issues.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Leahy
'01 Cavalier Z24 - 5Speed

MaxThrottle.Com
Friday, July 08, 2005 10:34 AM
Acid7711 wrote:Seafoam is some awesome stuff.

you damn right, i love seafoam.

-------------------------------------------------
**Rare bent in door mod!**
**Awesome cracked windshield mod!**
http://www.cardomain.com/id/chasescavy
Friday, July 08, 2005 9:26 PM
Hey guys, just saw your question thought that I would let ya know if you go to www.bgprod.com and click on the BG Find A Shop link at the bottom of the page and follow the directions. What you want is to find a shop near you with the fuel induction service, it will set you back about $180+ but it is well worth it. We use it at the shop I work for and rather than just cleaning the throttle body what happens is this service cleans the entire fuel induction system, I mean I have seen solid black throttle bodies turn to clean silver in around 15 min. It is a little pricey but I think well worth it.
Saturday, July 09, 2005 10:06 AM
seafoam does the same thing...remove a manifold vacuum line, dip in in the can, floow the rest of the directions, and BAM...clean everything. and its only around $5-7 a bottle. as a matter of fact it can be used in set ups similar to the BG ones...even gives directions on doing that on the bottle.

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Saturday, July 09, 2005 2:50 PM
I have used Seafoam and BG Fue Induction cleaner my self in my own vehicles and personally after using BG I won't even touch seafoam anymore, true it does do a better job than anything on the market but they have been marketing the same product for how long and I personally haven't seen any big improvements. Plus for seafoam to work you run the whole tank of fuel through the system and might clean it all and after 15-30 min with BG you can run a borescope down the intake and not see much more than a few hard areas that will be finished off by the 44K that they add to you fuel.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search