A/C Compressor Replacement question - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
A/C Compressor Replacement question
Thursday, July 07, 2005 11:12 AM
Hi,

I've been through the very informative A/C sticky, and I have a specific question about replacing the A/C compressor.

I had my 2000 Cavalier Z24 into the dealer to get the A/C system checked, and they told me the compressor was dead. Quoted my like $850 (Canadian) to fix it. Wow. I didn't totally trust them, so I took it into a recommended specialty shop to get another check. Same result. They quoted a rebuilt compressor (including accumulator) for about $700. So, now I'm out about $175 for two checks and nothing to show for it...

Anyway, I made some salvage yard calls and found a used compressor off a 2000 Cavalier for $150. Now, the specialty place said they would install it, but was claiming that they've never seen a used compressor that didn't leak. Apparantely the gaskets are prone to leaking if the car has been sitting too long in the salvage yard.

So, I can risk it, and get it installed with no warranty for about $350 including the part. If it doesn't work, I can return the part and just be out the labour ($200 or so).

Does anyone here have any advice for me on this?

Thanks!

Re: A/C Compressor Replacement question
Thursday, July 07, 2005 11:15 AM
buy a new one and put it on yourself..

you will probably save a ton....and used compressors are not a great idea..it will not last.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search