1 plug black ,wtf? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1 plug black ,wtf?
Wednesday, July 06, 2005 5:20 AM
I'm having a problem with my 96 2.2 cavi. For one it takes a while to start, got to crank it a bit. Also there is a fuel smell after starting. I replaced the injector o-rings a year ago because they were leaking. I can't see fuel dripping this time. The car idles rough, about like when you pull a plug wire and it is running on 3cyl. It drives fine on the highway though which seems weird.

I pulled the plugs last week and all looked fine but the number 1 plug was black. Others were the normal greyish/white color. Any idea on that first plug? I'm thinking something may be wrong with the injector. Thanks for any help!

Re: 1 plug black ,wtf?
Wednesday, July 06, 2005 6:10 AM
Was it oil? Carbon?

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 5:01 PM
my car did the exact same thing i had to have the head re done. and for the gas smell mine does that it is the fpr and after like 2 or three minutes it stops

my car is a girl because I describe her as sexy, beautiful, hot. I look at her curves, and I caress her body once a week with various soaps and sponges. Also, I get in and out of her every day.
Wednesday, July 06, 2005 5:37 PM
check the fuel pressure regulator when the car is off and when you first start it up.....pull the vacuum line off and see if there is fuel in the vacuum line or coming out of the regulator.......if the regulator is leaking that means that the car cannot build up proper fuel pressure to start the car hance long crancking.....the regulator can also cause rough running/misfires........as for the plug im not to sure...i would check the regulator first put in a new set of plugs and run it....see how it runs after that...hope this helps

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 6:55 PM
Yeah a while back I did notice a bit of fuel on the outside of the fpr. Ya think I should replace the o-ring's on the fpr? Also if there is gas in the vacuum line does that mean the o-rings are leaking or something inside the fpr is? I was going to check fuel pressure too but I looked up the diagram and it looked like a total pain in the ass.

Plug was dry, just carbon stuff on it.

Thanks guys!

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 9:08 PM
if the regulator is leaking through it and to the vacuum line you have to replace the whole thing..it actually not that bad.....just take your time

if you get a new regulator you will get new orings and everything to reseal it

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 9:34 PM
Ok thanks! I'll get it checked out. (already had fpr off doing the injector o-rings so got that part down hehe)

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 10:29 PM
You mentioned that one of your plugs was black. It could be that since you described it as seeming to be running rough like on 3 cyls, that that one plug could be fouled out and causing a very weak spark.

If it's taking a while to start, the fuel smell could be caused by the overly rich condition from the prolonged cranking of the engine to start it.

I doubt this is your problem, I just figued I'd throw it out there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Leahy
'01 Cavalier Z24 - 5Speed

MaxThrottle.Com
Thursday, July 07, 2005 12:05 AM
Thanks john, I plan on putting in some new plugs too.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search