Need some help with cam positioning sensor - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need some help with cam positioning sensor
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 2:31 PM
Here's the deal. Saturday I went to start my car and it didn't start for about five minutes. Finally got it going and I had a CEL, went to advanced auto to check the light. It was DTC P0342 which is the cam positioning sensor circuit low input. I went ahead and replaced the sensor and it ran great until yesterday and then got the light again. I checked the connector and it reads 11.59 volts which is still pretty good. Any help would be very appreciated, because it would save me the $60 to go to the dealer and have them hook it up. Granted it would pinpoint the issue, but that is money that could go on repairs. Thanks

Re: Need some help with cam positioning sensor
Wednesday, July 06, 2005 11:29 AM
Well first of all are you getting the same DTC P0342 code? After you replaced the cam position sensor. Or is it a different one? What year of car and make?
Re: Need some help with cam positioning sensor
Wednesday, July 06, 2005 11:38 AM
Well if youre code is still beeing a DTC P0342 . I would take a look at the condition of youre harmonic balancer, If harmonic balancer is damaged worn out, it will trick the cam position sensor that it is wornout. If the harmonic balancer checks out good, then I would be looking at the wiring harness that leads to it. any cuts or hacked corroaded wires need to be fixed. Those will trip the engine check light too.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search