Coolant Leak - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Coolant Leak
Sunday, July 03, 2005 10:01 AM
So a couple days ago I noticed my coolant light come on a few times, then went out after a few minutes. Usually only came on if I was going around a corner fast. Anyways, I'd been idling alot that day, had the A/C running (which I never use), it was hot as hell outside, and I had been driving pretty aggresively in city traffic for a couple hours. I got home from work the next day and topped up the coolant in the reservoir (it took about 1 quart) then went into town to wash the car. I should mention that the car was parked over night in my driveway, and I found no puddles under the car before I left for work, or before I topped it up. So, I got home again, the light never came on during the 20 minute drive to wash the car, and went in to have a shower. Came back outside, pulled out of my driveway and saw a large puddle under the car. "@!#$!" I exclaimed. So I pulled back into the driveway, got out and looked under the car and found the coolant just pissing out from somewhere on the front passenger side, near the A/C compressor, the hoses all look good. I can't tell where its coming from, its hitting a part somewhere and dripping off an engine mount I think. When the car's off now the leak is very slow, which makes sense. It only pours out when the system is pressurized, which leads me to believe that there are no massive bullet holes in the engine which it looked like at first from the amount of coolant pouring out when the car was idling. So, where should I start looking for a leak on a '99 2.2L Sunfire with 225,000 kms on it?

That cop took the whole thing way out of context. I mean, I was only going 145 Km/h in that
80 km/h zone because I was drunk and I wanted to get off the roads.

Re: Coolant Leak
Sunday, July 03, 2005 3:08 PM
theres a weep hole on the water pump which is located behind the passenger tire on the 2.2's. more than likly its coming from there. which means you need a new water pump. not too bad. i got one at pep boys for 30 bucks

Sunday, July 03, 2005 3:54 PM
funny thing that this subject comes up. i just installed my upper engine mount and i noticed that the reservoir has four hoses connected to it. two to the lower section one big on in the bottom and one on the top. is the one on the top connected to anything or is it just sitting there in free air..???

"Sunfire got stolen, all i have is the J to remember it by"
Sunday, July 03, 2005 4:27 PM
not connected to anything, its an overflow

http://www.ohiocichlids.com <<<<If you keep cichlids
Monday, July 04, 2005 6:05 AM
And it is your water pump. if its the 2200 sfi then my pump cost me 18$ with lifetime warranty from napa. and it took me approximately 20 minutes to install. its best to drain the radiator. there is a plug on teh front driver side of the radiator. When you go to fill it back up, mix 50/50. Half water, and half dexcool. And there is a breather hole to let the air out. if you dont do this correctly rhen your car will overheat because there is air in the system. good luck.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search