Frustrating - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Frustrating
Thursday, June 30, 2005 3:49 PM
Sorry this is sooo long but I really needed to vent and explain why I still do not own a Honda yet, but extremely want one....a Del Sol to be exact.
I bought a 98' Chevy Cavalier Z24 Dec. 6 2001 after GenIII MRDeuce accidentally crashed my 91' Toyota MR2 Turbo. I drove the Cavy for 9 months and during that time I blew up 1 tranny and 1 motor....
new tranny = $1800
stock motor rebuild = $3800
Setting explosive charges to a piece of @!#$ Cavalier = Priceless
Ok, sorry....back on track here..... after the Cavy was rebuilt Spanky and I got into an accident on Nov. 2 2002 with each other where my car got sandwhiched between a 98 Honda Accord and his 00' EM1 (Civic Si) I was part of a Honda sandwhich where the Cavy was mashed meat. Both of our cars were pretty messed up....my timing chain tensioner also failed and caused valve to piston slap...... throughout this whole ordeal my Cavy was totaled out by the insurance company and I recieved $10,300 from Spanky's insurance company and proceeded to buy back the Cavy from the insurance comp. for $2000 since it wasnt that bad.....just got totaled because the damage was over 60% of the blue book $.....I used the money to get every part I could think of for my car including completely shaved body and body kit from RKSport, 2000-up headlight conversion, Venom intake manifold, Venom fuel pump, RKSport header and cat-back exhaust and intake, RKSport crank and alternator pulleys, RKSport polyurithane motor mounts, Bilstein struts w/ Eibach springs with Nippon Racing Evoluzion 17' gunmetal wheels w/ polished lip...... ran out of $ before I got the motor rebuilt and lost my job so the bank is trying to re-posses it. I decided to buy Dave Hornes 96' Cavy Z24 and put all of my parts and suspension on his. I also swapped full interiors inc. dash, radio, and gauge cluster. Since I did that the car would start and then shut off because of the factory theft deterant system that doesnt allow stolen parts. I found out that the only place to reprogram the ecu is the dealership with a model specific GM Tech 2 scan tool.......I towed the Cavy to Stark GMC in Sun Prairie and had them reprogram it which they told me would be less than $100 since my uncle is the parts manager there...... They reprogrammed it but it still would not run. They said to remove the radio because 98'-newer GM's have a serial # attached to all electronics in the car that you cannot swap them to another car because they would trip the factory theft deterant system.....So I did that...My brother and I went down to the dealership and took the dash out and removed the radio and put the dash back in.....They proceeded to reprogram again and it still didnt work. (started to get frustrated) They asked which ECU I had in there and I remembered that a while back we put the ECU from the 98' in there to see if it would work with the coinciding radio...obviously it didnt. So I went down to the dealership and swapped the ECUs...They then tried reprogramming yet another time...I get a wake up call this morning while I had a ginormous hang over and he said that it didnt work again and asked me if we swapped out gauge clusters....which we did... He told me what I wrote earlier about how you cant swap parts from car to car because of the theft system.....(now extremely pissed off) So now I have to go get my other gauge cluster and swap it back in and see if that does it.......there is nothing else that I can think of that would continue this mascarade of bull@!#$..... And I also believe that they are going to try to charge me for everytime that they tried to reprogram it when it is a 10min job. Sorry that isnt going to happen.....I used to write service and I know that you need to tell the customer how much $ something is going to cost and get their permission after that to do any other service.....he never told me a price after they said it was going to cost less than $100 to reprogram and they have failed to succesfully reprogram it to this point yet and I have not signed anything saying otherwise.
That is why my SIG now reads what it does along with the second part of it that you can find in Spanky's SIG.

I knew that GMs were GAY but now I want to blow up there manufacturing plants just so other people do not have to deal with the inconvienences that are accompanied with purchasing one of their vehicles.

If any of you can look past my current hatred for my car and give me any insight as to why it will not run I would greatly appreciate it.

Re: Frustrating
Thursday, June 30, 2005 5:06 PM
So long story short..

Your theftlock light is on and you can't get the car to start?

Easy, I wrote instructions on how to reprogram the theftlock system. Its in the first post of the interior FAQ. Follow the instructions closely and it will work.

Also, any GM dealer should know this process as well, and can actually reset the theftlock through the Tech-2 (tool used to reprogram the cars). I wouldn't pay for what they can't do.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Thursday, June 30, 2005 11:18 PM
Hey Shifted, like i said my car is at the dealership right now.....they have tried twice now removing the stereo and putting in the correct ecu.....i am gonna go try this tomorrow and if it works i am gonna tell those gm tech foockers that they can lick my testicles if they want any of my money because i never signed anything and they should pay me for doing it myself and teaching them how to do it.........i will let you know tomorrow if it worked..... thanks for the info
Friday, July 01, 2005 11:45 PM
I appreciate Shifted trying to help me out and i did follow his instructions as to how to reset the PassLock on the theft system but unfortunately it did not work....i still have the same problem of the car starting for 2 seconds and then shutting off and the theft system light blinks a couple of times then stays constant........I have now replaced everything in the car back to all of the original factory pieces......but for some damn reason it still does it and the dealership cant figure it out either. If anyone can lend some more insight into this problem i would greatly appreciate it......
Saturday, July 02, 2005 1:52 PM
bump
Saturday, July 02, 2005 2:07 PM
I thought I had problems...... Sorry dude, that sucks.

fast, reliable or cheap. choose two.
Sunday, July 03, 2005 12:26 PM
Can anyone help here?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search