Resetting computer - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Resetting computer
Wednesday, June 22, 2005 2:21 PM
After a CEL has come on and the problem is fixed, does removing the neg. terminal on the battery for an hour or so actually reset the codes/computer?

Or, do you HAVE to use a diagnostics tool?

Re: Resetting computer
Wednesday, June 22, 2005 4:00 PM
Actually removing the negative battery cable for about 10 minutes completey resets the computer.

Keep in mind it may drive funny for a bit as it relearns everything, idle, acceleration etc.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 4:30 PM
Rob S wrote:Actually removing the negative battery cable for about 10 minutes completey resets the computer.

Keep in mind it may drive funny for a bit as it relearns everything, idle, acceleration etc.

Sometimes it takes over an hour, mine took over 3 to reset.

The scan tool is the only way to completely reset the computer. Unplugging the battery holds on to the learned fuel tables and in-memory dtc's. Pulling the battery resets the continuous and non-continous test results, resulting in the MIL to go away, and the computer to need to go back through the testing cycle.

The MIL will also go away if you can complete a full test cycle, I forget where the instructions are, but it would take about 30 minutes of driving at different speeds.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 8:10 PM
Shifted wrote:The MIL will also go away if you can complete a full test cycle, I forget where the instructions are, but it would take about 30 minutes of driving at different speeds.

Perhaps a little off-topic, but could you elaberate on this? I'm intrigued.

hello
NEO WAS HERE
I have become too lazy to create a new sig.
you're reading my line-break
<A HREF="http://www.neo-j.741.com/">Check my website</A>
Wednesday, April 23, 2008 11:30 AM
Ok, so I realize this is a 3 year old post but I was just looking for some clarification on this "resetting" thing and this was the best search result.
From what I understand, if you do certain mods without having any way to tune, than in order to take full advantage of the mods the best thing to do is to disconnect battery for a while and re-connect? Causing the computer to re-learn what amount of air is being taken in, what has changed etc. and running "better"?
In my case what I mean by mods are short ram air intake, bigger TB, header back exhaust.

Or, does disconnecting the batter reset some other sort of computer that has no impact on this stuff?
Wednesday, April 23, 2008 12:59 PM
Just press control + alt + delete

When your "modding" a car... you should have the battery disconnected anyways... so the point is moot.

The car will have to "re learn" a little bit either way... so it honsestly doesn't matter..... the car will end up running the same in the end either way.

Besides.... without retuning the car.... the computer doesn't actually "adapt" to mods like a lot of people think it does.... no matter what you do to the car.... the computer still thinks that it is stock when your running a stock tune and any corrections it tries to make will be done thinking that all the stock parts are on the car..... if if you do enough to the car for this to be a real concern... you'll need a tune anyway.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 5:42 PM
Thank you very much. That's exactly what I was looking for
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search