Passenger Quarter Panel!!! Help! - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Passenger Quarter Panel!!! Help!
Thursday, April 05, 2012 3:23 PM
Dang ol garages keep getting in my way!

This year I started working on my 02 Cavalier again with the first being redoing my interior. Now that the back panels have been painted and a speaker box is getting made to fit in my backseat- I’m wondering if it would be the right time to fix the quarter panel since I do not have a backseat in and no panels on currently.

In 2005, I paid someone to do the PDR and I was taken advantage of and it looks worse now than it did when I hit the garage (insert LOL here). I never wanted to claim it and since then, I’ve dropped full coverage. Would it be easier to buy a new one? I priced some online and [in primer] they are $60.00. However, I wasn’t sure if the installation would be just as easy and painless (price wise). A couple people tell me to just do the body work myself but the cost of material and labor… I'm not too worried about mismatch pieces, because I plan on getting a custom paint job by the end of the year.

Does anyone know how to take off and install the quarter panels? I need advice! Someone, anyone, help?

Evo-TimeCustoms.com

Re: Passenger Quarter Panel!!! Help!
Thursday, April 05, 2012 3:54 PM
There's a how to on it.
Maybe (tabs) or JR will chime in on how difficult it was.
How bad is the damage anyway? Pics?

Thursday, April 05, 2012 4:35 PM
Thanks! I thought I looked through but must've missed it. The damage is pretty bad, at least to me it is. After the so-called PDR, I have two bad lines in it where they went too far and not enough. I'll have to post photos up tomorrow. I barely learned how to sand in January! I was hoping it would be a "quick" install with some help from friends! Still kinda "if-y" with the cost of material for body work vs the quarter panel I saw online for $60.00. If anything, I'll upload something and maybe someone can tell me what I should do without being f-ed over for the second time...

Evo-TimeCustoms.com
Thursday, April 05, 2012 4:46 PM

These were taken a couple years ago. There's a little more damage now but still looks pretty much the same.

Evo-TimeCustoms.com
Thursday, April 05, 2012 9:06 PM
wouldnt b worth replacing all of it unless thru rust or more damage than that it would b a simple fix
Thursday, April 05, 2012 10:47 PM
It depends, the panel has already been caved in and pulled back out, so the metal could be stretched and unable to return to its original shape.
But that just looks weird, I would sand it down and see how much bondo is there, and see if I could hammer it out before I try replacing the quarter

Friday, April 06, 2012 4:22 AM
For sure, kinda looks like a bondo pile. If you are redoing it anyway, might be worth it to hammer it out and take a look.

Friday, April 06, 2012 6:49 AM
Thanks for the help!

Evo-TimeCustoms.com
Friday, April 06, 2012 10:55 AM
where are u located maybe someone on here is close and has a better idea what they are doing
Friday, April 06, 2012 12:08 PM
I'm in DFW.... I have friends who work at shops, and my hubby has his own shop but no one wants to take their time and offer me advice or help with a Cavalier. They are interested in "nice" cars or making their own vechiles nice! Ha. It's a sad life of a Cavy driver. jk.

Evo-TimeCustoms.com
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search