coolant loss question - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
coolant loss question
Monday, April 02, 2012 7:04 PM
Hello,

I refilled my coolant few days ago because the low light went on. Last week we had really hot weather (summer temps) here so I assume the system needed some more coolant so I filled it. It recently got colder (mild/freezing) and my coolant once again disappeared. I'm thinking there is a leak but im not sure. I got a 2.4L so I'm hoping its not the water pump. Do you guys think it's a leak or just the system needing more coolant because of the weather?

Any other common coolant leak spots in the 2.4?

Re: coolant loss question
Monday, April 02, 2012 7:26 PM
Having to add coolant on a regular basis points to one of two things a leak,or headgasket.I would place some cardboard under the car overnite.Check it in the morning and or after driving it.Changing temps should have no cause for repeat refills for lost coolant.I would even suggest degrease the engine with some foamy engine cleaner and let dry or drive it.Then check for leaks,like hoses all of them u can,check for cracks in your overflow,hows your radiator cap?It can seep past that if weak seal.As for water pump Idk know about your gen too well.But def check your oil cap for a milky color residue build up (this points to headgasket.Could even be your radiator leaking.Just some general tips and maybe some others who are more third gen oriented can give some good tips to check for.Just my take.

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 3:14 PM
Other than water pump or head gasket, you could have a bad water outlet or bypass hose. I've even seen a bad overflow bottle cause a small leak. Pressure test the cooling system and go from there.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 7:58 PM
found it its the water inlet
Tuesday, April 03, 2012 8:04 PM
Good thing you found it.

Does the air have to be bled out on the 2.4L the same way as the 2.2L?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search