She cranks but no go.. after new fuel pump - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
She cranks but no go.. after new fuel pump
Saturday, March 24, 2012 4:53 PM
After my car was falling on its face on the highway, I stomped on the gas too. Died and got towed.
A week later, new fuel pump and she ran. Been starting rough for a week now and yesterday it wouldn't at ALL.. Just keeps cranking.
Ran test, wasn't getting spark. Got used coil + ICM and it got spark back but still just cranking. New spark plugs were put in too.
I did do a key re-learn as an attempt but no security light was on and it did not solve problem.
Scared of flooding the cylinder with fuel and battery isn't the best either although it holds charge.

Some smoke comes out as the car cranks.. Attempts to run for a few seconds and dies.
Other than crank sensor, any other things I should check?

Re: She cranks but no go.. after new fuel pump
Tuesday, March 27, 2012 4:16 AM
Might be a foolish question, but since you didn't mention it: when you replaced the pump, did you replace the filter? If not, I'd do that and put some concentrated injector cleaner in there.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 1:09 PM
Did not replace filter, would that stop it from starting??

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 3:00 PM
It should be replaced about once a year.
The system should be cleaned also. Mine was beginning to take an extra couple seconds to start, before I put a few ounces of Sea Foam in the tank.
Are your spark plugs flooded with fuel after trying to start it?
Tuesday, March 27, 2012 6:20 PM
If the fuel filter gets clogged enough it could restrict that fuel pressure low enough to affect the starting. Plus if you dont replace the filter when the pump is replaced and the pump goes out again, if there was any warranty on the pump, it voids the pumps warranty.
Tuesday, March 27, 2012 8:24 PM
Is the fuel pump relay clicking (under the hood) when you turn the key to ON position?

Do you have access to a fuel pressure tester so that you can get accurate readings of the fuel pumps "prime" psi?
Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:13 PM
Good point guys but this would not cause a no spark issue.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:25 PM
UPDATE:
All fuses are good.
I am not getting spark. Car does make more of an attempt to start, but sputters out after 1-2 sec.
Testing to see if I am getting power at the PCM tomorrow.

So far:
New Crank position sensor
Junk yard coil pack/ICM
New NGK Spark plugs (haven't checked gap but I assume that wouldn't stop car from starting)
New Racetronix fuel pump

j r wrote:It should be replaced about once a year.
The system should be cleaned also. Mine was beginning to take an extra couple seconds to start, before I put a few ounces of Sea Foam in the tank.
Are your spark plugs flooded with fuel after trying to start it?

Spark plugs do have some fuel on them. After I noticed that I removed the fuel pump fuse.

Paul Foust wrote:If the fuel filter gets clogged enough it could restrict that fuel pressure low enough to affect the starting. Plus if you dont replace the filter when the pump is replaced and the pump goes out again, if there was any warranty on the pump, it voids the pumps warranty.

I am actually getting some fuel seeping from the FPR.

Shaun Longbottom wrote:Is the fuel pump relay clicking (under the hood) when you turn the key to ON position?
Do you have access to a fuel pressure tester so that you can get accurate readings of the fuel pumps "prime" psi?

Fuel pump relay IS clicking. See above pic. Could bad FPR cause no start? I know I should see 40-60psi on factory pump but have no tool to test.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:33 PM
Here is a shot of the FPR.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 5:40 AM
FPR is shot probably.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:03 PM
Well.. timing chain jumped a few teeth
For future references, if anybody runs into the same issue. I tried to mark in red where the markings were on the chain/sprocket.
Too bad I'm short on $ for some cams..

Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:18 PM
Ouch!

That sucks to hear man. Any piston/valve contact that you can tell?

If you were near I would lend you a hand with labor and some extra parts I have.
Friday, March 30, 2012 7:03 AM
Hah, thanks man. I didn't think to check for any contact but I'll give it a look.

Friday, March 30, 2012 9:40 PM
After you set the timing back to normal check the compression. That will tell you whether you have contact issues real quick.
You do know how to set the timing right?
Good luck man How many miles on the motor, I have never had something like that happen even when I was well over 400whp, crazy stuff.

Best time:"""11.946""" @ 114.73 mph @17psi 1.83--60"
11 second daily driver!!!!
Race Related 727-561-9440
Shop of choice for your 11 second J body!

Also, built bottom end and or top end LSJ and L61's available.
13's ----12's ----11's ----10's

Saturday, April 07, 2012 12:00 PM
SunCavi_L61-T4 wrote:After you set the timing back to normal check the compression. That will tell you whether you have contact issues real quick.
You do know how to set the timing right?
Good luck man How many miles on the motor, I have never had something like that happen even when I was well over 400whp, crazy stuff.

Thanks man, yes I do know how to plus having a friend help me who has done it before.
Miles on the motor are 99k. I still can't believe how this could happen. Only thing I found was a lose water pump bolt.

Update:

Timing chain was replaced and car started on her first crank.
Problem Solved!! Runs a bit smoother now.

Saturday, April 07, 2012 8:20 PM
Quote:

Here is a shot of the FPR.

Hey that's great to hear you got it fixed and running smooth!
Don't forget you still might want a new FPR, I would think.
Monday, April 09, 2012 4:37 AM
And replace your fuel filter, and I would replace your timing tensioner too if you didn't with the chain.
Monday, April 09, 2012 10:04 AM
And replace your fuel filter, and I would replace your timing tensioner too if you didn't with the chain.
Monday, April 09, 2012 11:51 AM
j r wrote:Hey that's great to hear you got it fixed and running smooth!
Don't forget you still might want a new FPR, I would think.

Yes sir, I got a new FPR. Broke off the sealant on the bottom and had to drill out of rail but all good now.

Dave De Stefano wrote:And replace your fuel filter, and I would replace your timing tensioner too if you didn't with the chain.

Timing tensioner came with the timing chain kit along with the guides etc. Was going to use that re-designed tensioner that some reported to solve low oil problems but didn't have time to wait.

Surprised at the difference in idle and how smooth the car sounds now.
Did a bit of cosmetic work.. painted valve cover and upper mount. Car needs a good wash.
Thanks for all the input everyone!

Monday, April 09, 2012 7:37 PM
Argh. I have a similar issue, but just swapped an Eco into the car. Car drove fine prior to pulling motor so hopefully this isn't why it won't start. Just another thing to check I guess. I will definitely be replacing the Crankshaft Positioning Sensor first though.

Monday, April 09, 2012 7:44 PM
You guys heard the pump priming, right? And the car tries to start, but it just misses the point of ignition?

Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:24 PM
j r wrote:You guys heard the pump priming, right? And the car tries to start, but it just misses the point of ignition?

Correct.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search