engine starts then dies - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
engine starts then dies
Saturday, March 24, 2012 5:37 AM
Good Morning, I have a 98 Cavalier RS that cranks over, the engine fires, and when you let go of the key, it dies. Any idea what is possibly wrong? I tried swapping the fuel pump realy for another last night. No difference. I'm thinking an issue with fuel delivery, but not sure. Which is more likely: fuel pump or fuel filter? Or something else entirely. I loaned my repar manual to my daughter's boyfriend so he can fix his Sunfire. So hoepfully someone here can rovide a solution. Thanks.

Re: engine starts then dies
Saturday, March 24, 2012 9:49 AM
ok so i guess the first post didn't work
o well, anyway you can 'jump' two of the pins on the fuel pump relay to turn the pump constant on, no you won't flood the car of anything asd the fuel rail and regulator will allow the fuel to pass right back to the tank. jump these pins and then once the pump starts to whine try it, if it starts it's probably electrical problem most likly with your ignition, if it does not then it's def electric, but this is easy way to eliminate the pump as problem, i don't think the filter will affect this process but if it is plugged bad it will, tell you what if you pm me a cell phone number I can get pics and help walk you through it. a filter is like 12 bucks from purolator, but it's a bitch to change especially on the older cars as the fittings corrode
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search