po122 - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
po122
Wednesday, March 21, 2012 8:06 PM
I tried to post this yesterday. I’m new to the forum and need help. I crashed my 05’ Cavalier 2.2 5spd a few months ago. I rear ended a suv and stuff the front of the cavi. My dad and I took care of all the mechanical and aesthetic issues from the crash. After all was done, I now have an engine light showing. I’ve ran it on a scanner, and it reads a po122 engine code. I know that is a “Throttle Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Low Input”. I replaced the TPS when we finished the car. However the code hasn’t gone off. Symtoms are that it seems to shut down/jake brake once I’m off the throttle for more than 4-5 seconds. It’s also very hard to be smooth at taking off from a dead stop. Seems as if I doesn’t have the throttle response anymore from an idle. I’m wondering if there is anyway I can check the new sensor with an ohm meter. The crash caved in the front of the car, but not the bumper because I was in such a nose dive. It had collapsed the radiator into the engine, broke the air intake, cracked the battery, broke the passenger side engine mount, and cracked up the TPS at the throttle body. We replaced all broken pares with new ones. Only, the engine light still reads that the TPS isn’t right. Any help would be appreciated, as I have to get the car inspected in a month’s time.

Thanks,

Re: po122
Thursday, March 22, 2012 2:34 AM
are you getting 5volt ref voltage on the grey wire at the tps?
Thursday, March 22, 2012 6:18 PM
So the voltage is supposed to be 5V. I know the plug has 3 prongs. I'll have to pull it and check that. Thanks for the info, I'll let you know how I make out.
Sunday, March 25, 2012 7:42 PM
Thank you primeM. I checked the harness for 5v and there was nothing. We started unwrapping the tape from the harness and there it was. 4-5 inches down, 2 of the 3 wires were severed and the 3rd wire slice in it. Fixed that and the car is back to running right. Have to throw it on a scanner and turn off the engine light. So glad it's fixed. Have to get it inspected next month. And the fiancee loves driving it again. It's back to normal again. Thanks again.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search