04' Cavalier, Valve Train Rattle on Start...and intermittent stalls - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
04' Cavalier, Valve Train Rattle on Start...and intermittent stalls
Sunday, March 29, 2009 8:48 AM
I have a 2004 Cavalier, 2.2 Eco, 5 speed, 66,000 miles, driven hard, but one owner vehicle, no previous motor/mech. issues.

The car has recently(last couple months) begun to die intermittently when slowing to a stop, or idling. Occasionally it does it while driving down the road now. It will start back up, but often quits when it does, and when its running after this...it runs weak, and rough. I'm guessing a fuel pump issue. I have seen alot of people in the blogs have the same problem...just haven't heard responses on what actually fixed the problem.

There is also a rattle that has begun to come from the valve train on start up. Only there for a second or two. It occassionally will be there on idle at a light, but not often. When its gone...the engine sounds absolutely normal...and runs perfect. Just changed the oil...still there.

The last issue to resolve is the cooling fan fuse. I had a P0480 code. I verified the cause was a blown 30A fuse. Not sure what caused it. The Cooling Fan Relay seems to work properly...the fan certainly works properly. I've seen this as a common problem too...just no response on what the actual cause was.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

Re: 04' Cavalier, Valve Train Rattle on Start...and intermittent stalls
Sunday, August 02, 2009 7:19 AM
In case anyone runs into this issue...cooling fan motor was at fault. Still worked, but had to have a short of some kind, or simply developed an over draw of amps. It seemed to have more drag then the new one...maybe bearings causing friction...but either way...fan motor caused this issue...replaced it and all is well. $25 fix.
Friday, August 07, 2009 8:12 PM
as for the ratle i just replaced a timing chain tensioner. had internal oil leak starving top end of oil. could be the problem?
Saturday, August 08, 2009 7:17 AM
How did you deterimine if it was the timing chain tensioner? The rattle only happens on start up...and quits immediately...the top end gets oil....But the rattle makes is sound like there is no residual lubrication. Wondering if an oil additive might help...Z-max, or the like.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search