I want to do an ULTIMATE tune up this spring, can you help me with my check list? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I want to do an ULTIMATE tune up this spring, can you help me with my check list?
Thursday, March 26, 2009 8:13 AM
Hello all,

I have a 2001 Pontiac Sunfire SLX (Think this is a canadian model name). It's basically a 4 doors sedan, with the 2.2L, automatic transmission and some options...

The car got approximately 100 000KM, so about 60 000 miles I think. The last tune up was like 2 years and a half ago.

So this year I want to do an big tune up. Just want the car to run and act just like from the factory.

I know I have to change this, but do you have anything else to add to my list?

Also, what brand of spark plugs and wires run best on our cars? ACDelco? Wich model? Also, ACDelco filters all around? What brand of oil?

• Engine oil and filter
  • Air filter
  • Spark plugs and wires
  • PCV valve (Do we have one on these car?)
  • Cap and distributor (Do we have one on these car?)
  • Fuel filter

Re: I want to do an ULTIMATE tune up this spring, can you help me with my check list?
Thursday, March 26, 2009 8:55 AM
no cap and distributer

I think there is a PCV valve

Re: I want to do an ULTIMATE tune up this spring, can you help me with my check list?
Thursday, March 26, 2009 11:03 AM
plugs, wires and o2 sensor, all ac delco. air, fuel, and oil filters, anything but fram. seafoam it. clean the throttle body and iac valve. replace the pcv.. flush the brake fluid. trans filter would also be a good service. could all be done in less than a day.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Thursday, March 26, 2009 11:51 AM
+1

That is a pretty solid list.
If you are looking for things to do, replace the vacuum hoses.
Unless you have known mechanical issues or somthing.

Smile! All things fade with time...
Thursday, March 26, 2009 12:29 PM
If I doesn't have any check engine on at this time, do I really need to change the O2 sensor? I think it never been changed but should I?
Thursday, March 26, 2009 12:36 PM
Oh and I forgot to ask. What's Seafoam exactly, I dont know what it look like? How do you use it and for what for? I'm in Canada and I have a NAPA, Auto Parts Plus, Car Quest, Canadian Tire and a Wal-Mart that sell some automative products. What product to use to clean the throttle body and IAC valve.

Sorry for my bad english I speak french normally.

JF
Thursday, March 26, 2009 12:54 PM
Search button is your friend...lots of posts on seafoam and how its used....also alot of videos on youtube on how to do it. in simple terms seafoam is an internal engine cleaner. around here walmart is cheapest place to get it. it a white metal can. follow the directions on the can and you will be amazed at the difference. Also do the seafoam befor your oil change because you pour some if it in your oil. again just do what the can says. Its fun to watch your neighbors expression when you do it too!!
Friday, March 27, 2009 3:14 PM
In Canada you can buy sea foam at Napa You can clean your throttlebody with carborator or throttlebody cleaner
Friday, March 27, 2009 5:00 PM
o2 sensors have about a 60,00 mile lifespan. just because the light isnt on doesnt mean its not bad. just like a light bulb, they wear out over time, and need to be replaced.

Friday, March 27, 2009 8:44 PM
DO NOT USE Carb cleaner on your TB. Carb cleaner will eat the shiny coating of the TB plate. Use only TB cleaner.

98 Z24

RIP Specks
Sunday, March 29, 2009 8:48 AM
where is the fuel filter located on a 03 cav? also i have 85k and i tried seafoam, 1/3 in tb and 1/3 in tank and i didnt get any large amounts of smoke.. did i do it right? the car did bog when i poured it in.

03 cavalier
us amps 100hc running at .5 ohms
digital designs 3512
yellow top g34
kenwood ddx-8019

Sunday, March 29, 2009 2:18 PM
get the car to proper running temp. pour in slowly for the first half of the third, then pour the rest in (this is through the brake master cylinder vacuum line btw) and shut it off for 10 minutes. restart it and it'll smoke.

Monday, March 30, 2009 6:20 PM
Seafoam scares the @!#$ out of me. God only knows what it is doing in your engine.

That being said, It magically made an 88 2.8L i have in a z24 purr like a kitten when it would barely idle before.

Use it! I do 1/2 in oil then 1/2 in Vac line to Brake Booster. I use a different fuel treatment.

I wouldn't add it to your oil after an oil change. Maybe a few hundred miles before one. I added it to clean oil and ended up dirty about 1000 miles sooner. This last oil change the oil looked clean coming out after 4000mi and I still was at full....Impressed me.

Monday, March 30, 2009 7:00 PM
Mark wrote:Seafoam scares the @!#$ out of me. God only knows what it is doing in your engine.

That being said, It magically made an 88 2.8L i have in a z24 purr like a kitten when it would barely idle before.

Use it! I do 1/2 in oil then 1/2 in Vac line to Brake Booster. I use a different fuel treatment.

I wouldn't add it to your oil after an oil change. Maybe a few hundred miles before one. I added it to clean oil and ended up dirty about 1000 miles sooner. This last oil change the oil looked clean coming out after 4000mi and I still was at full....Impressed me.

YOU NEVER ADD IT TO YOUR OIL UNLESS YOU PLAN TO CHANGE YOUR OIL WITHIN THE NEXT 10 MINUTES.

seafoam is a solvent and breaks down oil. broken down oil does not lubricate.

Monday, March 30, 2009 7:10 PM
I made a list and how to for this here.

Monday, March 30, 2009 7:16 PM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:I made a list and how to for this here.

que?

Monday, March 30, 2009 7:18 PM
you want the ultimate 2.2 tune up... you get an eco. Make sense?

Monday, March 30, 2009 8:51 PM
indeed. now i get it. very droll sir.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search