Help! car wont start! only every once in a while?? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help! car wont start! only every once in a while??
Tuesday, March 24, 2009 5:02 AM
so today i wake up around 630 just like every day to go to work. i start my car and it turns over. i can hear my fuel pump prime i have a good charge on the battery every thing seems fine except for the fact that it keeps turning and never fires. its done this before in the summer,twice in the winter and now. last time i took a hockey stick out of my car and beat the gas tank up pretty good and it seemed to start right up after that. but not this time. has anyone ever had this problem before? the cars running great other than this.

Re: Help! car wont start! only every once in a while??
Tuesday, March 24, 2009 11:52 AM
Check the fuel pressure in the rail.
Just becuase the pump is running does not mean that it is running well...

Second thought would be EGR valve gasket.
Had a leak in mine and it would not start... It would start by jamming my foot on the pedal during start up for about a month and then just would not start...

Just a thought...

Smile! All things fade with time...
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 4:28 AM
Hey thanks for the input. I got home after work yesterday and hit the gas tank again. its started to sputter abit. then i tried priming it over and over without starting and i noticed a weird noise in the fuel pump. almost a grinding. then suddenly it made a sound like something went through the pump and it sounded fine again. the car started and havent had a problem since. although im expecting it since it happens on a bi monthly basis. any suggestings knowing that info...

thanks

Thursday, March 26, 2009 11:34 AM
Ideal Situation;
Drop the tank, change the pump, flush the tank, get a new strainer...

Realistically, there shouldn't be any damage to the engine if your fuel pump is failing... Might burn a little lean, loose a little power, but the ECU should adjust to make the engine relatively safe... Just be aware that you might end up changing a fuel pump in a parking lot somewhere if you push your luck too much! =)

Smile! All things fade with time...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search