Sunfire vibrating in drive only - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Sunfire vibrating in drive only
Saturday, March 21, 2009 3:45 PM
1996 Sunfire GT 2.4L Auto. The car starts to vibrate while driving and a little whie idiling in drive. There is no steering wheel vibration at all. Its worse during slow speeds. Any clue what it could be. Can it be an alignment issue even if the steering wheel is not viberating?

Re: Sunfire vibrating in drive only
Saturday, March 21, 2009 5:33 PM
It could be an alignment issue in the back wheels, a bad bearing, incorectly balanced wheels, a bad axle.

When you say a little while idling in drive..... do you mean the car vibrates while sitting still?

Saturday, March 21, 2009 6:29 PM
Weebel wrote:It could be an alignment issue in the back wheels, a bad bearing, incorectly balanced wheels, a bad axle.

When you say a little while idling in drive..... do you mean the car vibrates while sitting still?

Yes it vibrates a bit while sitting still, but only when put in drive. Im thinking maybe a mount is bad somewhere
Saturday, March 21, 2009 6:36 PM
Ya, it's prob nothing in the driveling....

it could be a bad mount..... I would also check your exhaust and make sure it isn't rattling up against anything. When you put a car in drive... it puts a load on the engine and can cause the exhaust to move more.

If the car runs fine otherwise.... it almost has to be something like that.

Saturday, March 21, 2009 7:47 PM
Yea, Im going to take it to the alignment shop tomorrow and have it checked. I'll also check the wheels and tires. who knows if all it could be is a loose wheel, and for the slight vibration while idiling i'll check the mounts and exhaust. Hopefully it isnt anything serious.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search