need transmission help... - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
need transmission help...
Monday, January 22, 2007 9:27 PM
so i've been through a lot with my 88 Z24, and now its gotten bad hahah... well, apparently both of my cv axles and transmission were on the way out when i bought the car... my cv axles finally completely gave, and it wasnt pretty... i replaced them both, and now im pretty sure that when they went, they took the trans with it....basically, when i pull out, it seems like i flat spotted a section of my main drive gear in the transmission... no matter what gear i start in, it seems like it grabs for a little, then hits a flat spot on the drive gear and starts slipping like crazy, and eventually grabs again... not fun... any suggestions on what i should do and where to start would be great... do i need a new transmission, or is it possible to replace whatevers wrong in the trans by ripping it apart??? also, if i need a new transmission, where do i look for one? i got prices of $850 shipped, but im pretty tight on budget right now and i cant see that happening any time soon... i miss my car and just want to get it running again you guys are always great, thanks again... by the way, i havent driven it more than about 10 feet to experience this problem, but it started doing it before the cv axle completely gave, and was getting nothing but worst... now it seems like i have a 4-5 tooth flatspot on my drive gear in my trans, and possibly, im guessing, a few very small spots of wear.... can i replace just this drive gear or do i need a whole new trans?

Re: need transmission help...
Wednesday, January 24, 2007 8:24 PM
I'd say get a trans from a salvage yard and swap that it (it should be less than $850...)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search